Non-resident elk hunters breaking point.

nobody

WKR
For me, it all depends on the state and the quality of animals I can expect to harvest. For Idaho, they lost my support a couple of years ago. But I'd still pay good money to hunt New Mexico. I won't pay New Mexico prices for an Idaho hunt. It's all relative to the type of hunt I can realistically expect to have.

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I apply for everything in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Texas.

Apply off and on in Idaho, new Mexico, Alaska, Oregon.

Usually throw in for a few dozen raffle tags or so, mostly sheep but deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, goat and bison as well.

We've had fair luck so far but I think the next decade is going to produce some good hunting. Been applying seriously in multiple states since 1998.

If things keep going the same way you might as well add California and Washington to your list. The odds won’t be any worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuzzH

WKR
If things keep going the same way you might as well add California and Washington to your list. The odds won’t be any worse.

The odds are never good but it's a marathon, not a sprint. The more you apply the more "lucky" a person gets.

I've already drawn some pretty good tags and I'll draw more...but I also realize I'll die with lots of unused points. I will try as hard as I can not to, but I realize what the odds say.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
I honestly feel like just having draws removes a lot of people. Guys love going otc to CO because they can just show up and but a tag. If something comes up over the next 6 months they aren't committed. Also don't have to learn all the draw systems

Hey, can someone distill the consensus down and send it to me when you are done? That’d make a nice neat package of things to push for 🙈 🤣

mlgc20

WKR
I wonder when states will actually find the breaking point…

Very easy to do for limited permits, just put every tag up on an online auction and you will get the max market value.

For unlimited OTC tags I’m not sure how to do that 🧐
This would be awesome! It would make everyone's head explode when they had to actually pay market value instead of the welfare system we have now.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This would be awesome! It would make everyone's head explode when they had to actually pay market value instead of the welfare system we have now.
Of course it's illegal for states to do which is why they have to "gift" to another organization to side step the rules.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't want to pay more than anybody else does but at age 66 I'll do whatever it takes to get out there and hunt. Who knows when their last adventure will be. I live in SC and drive out to hunt. Not so great doing it solo but like I said, I'm going till I can't do it any longer.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

It's funny how many non residents I see walking back to they're 5th wheels at 1030. Meanwhile I only pay 25 bucks for my tag and I'm out all day long. Like yall come out just for an over priced camper trip. Which is great they're not pushing the elk around.

KurtR

WKR
My goal was to kill a bull on a otc idaho tag i did that so now i will go when i can with my brother who lives there but would rather shoot ducks and geese with my dog. Plus for the cost of the tag now i can go play lots of dog games in the summer and take a winter training trip which in the end is more enjoyable for me now. Its hard to put all the time and money in to hunting for a week when the same amount gets me hunting for months here and really the only thing thats not out my back door is elk.

I've been pretty adamant I'm still going. Anyway did the math yesterday, not sure I can swing it this year. Gas and the price of boarding our dogs has gone up quite a bit. I can do alot more deer hunting closer to home for a lot less money. I gotta think others are doing the same.

My goal was to kill a bull on a otc idaho tag i did that so now i will go when i can with my brother who lives there but would rather shoot ducks and geese with my dog. Plus for the cost of the tag now i can go play lots of dog games in the summer and take a winter training trip which in the end is more enjoyable for me now. Its hard to put all the time and money in to hunting for a week when the same amount gets me hunting for months here and really the only thing thats not out my back door is elk.
It makes a lot of sense to make the most of your time and money. Often that means taking advantage of what is right there close to home. I have one out of state hunt that I intend to try, other than that I’m going to stay close. I’d love to do another AK sheep hunt but I’ll wait until I get a good opportunity to move back. If that never happens I’m perfectly happy with “loving the one I’m with”.

RdRdrFan

WKR
My beef isn’t with the cost as much as it is with the opportunity. Wyoming cutting the NR quota to 10% hurts. A sheep or moose tag just got a whole lot tougher to draw. Had I known that they would have made this change 10 years ago I would not have started buying points.

You guys say that you don’t mind the cost. I get that but buying sheep points for 25-30 years and still not drawing is disheartening. This has class action lawsuit written all over it. I would like the opportunity to sell back my points.

Heck it wouldn’t even have to cost the state any money. It would be great if they would allow point holders to sell their position. Think of the folks that have been putting in for sheep for 25-30 years that can’t physically get it done now. Let them sell their point position to another hunter. Limit it to the number of points multiplied by the current cost of a point in that state. Nobody gets rich. But people who want out can get out.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Non-resident elk hunters . I am curious at what threshold most non-residents would say I'm done and move on to other endeavors. Maybe you don't have a threshold . I think realisticly most do. I realize there are a million different scenarios .maybe you hunt elk in your home state. Vested points already etc. Let's say you are a non-resident putting in for a GENERAL ELK tag with 0 points starting from scratch. 3 questions. Currently
1) how much would you be willing to pay for a general elk tag ? $1000, $1500, $2000 ?
(good , but not cream of the crop)
2) how much would you be willing to pay for a yearly point knowing if you don't keep up your yearly investment its gone (some states maybe 1 year interruption ) $50, $100, $500 ?
3) how many years would you wait for a general elk tag ? 2-4, 8-10?
I will answer in reverse order because #1 depends on #3.
And will qualify to say this is for a special general tag, since I only apply for the special.
3) 2 years. 3 years max
2) $100
1) $2,000 if it results in hunting every 2-3 years.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
The older you get the less money means to you and the more you value your time hunting. Father time waits for no one and at some point DIY elk hunts won't be possible, at least putting in the big effort it can take chasing elk. I spend a good amount of money every year to hunt public land whitetails in Ohio and would spend a lot more to hunt elk with my bow every year. I buy preference and bonus points in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana now. I've never been on a guided hunt, but I'm thinking someday I may treat myself to a fully guided bow hunt for elk where an outfitter takes care of everything. It doesn't sound like much fun, but maybe when I'm 80 it will.

I spend a lot of money deer hunting here at home...and it's really what I enjoy most. With that said I love the mountains. I can't go every year, but when I do I go with low expectations as far as killing something and it's more just to get out there. So if it ever got to the point where a tag itself cost 1k I'd be out. I'd just go camp for a week, fish a little, and come home. As it is now I'll drop $700 on an either sex archery tag in Colorado just to have the opportunity, but that's about my limit.

I will answer in reverse order because #1 depends on #3.
And will qualify to say this is for a special general tag, since I only apply for the special.
3) 2 years. 3 years max
2) $100
1) $2,000 if it results in hunting every 2-3 years.

Figured that I'd finally chime in on this thread, just to throw my perspective out there ......

1). $3,000 for a bull tag;
2). $500 to merely purchase a point;
3). As many years as it takes (indefinite).

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
The breaking point for me is less about what the tag costs and more about what you get for it. I apply everywhere and I also put my son in everywhere, which gets pretty spendy these days. I used to live in OR and still have points, he is still an OR resident. Once I use my OR points I won't give them $ every year to apply. It's just a waste. May hunt a general hunt again in OR at some point or not. ID is also one I will probably not give $ to every year the way they are doing their general tag disaster. Makes no sense for me to get a tag and not be able to get my son one like this year. NV is also one that may get dropped. Just doesn't make a ton of $ sense because deer hunting is not a high priority for me and the elk tags pretty out of reach for what it will cost to draw. JFYI I have drawn NV elk and deer already so I am low points there now.

The reason WY is able to charge what they do is you get by far the most bang for your buck.