Nosler Model 21

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
So I had a very good conversation with Nosler. This is something that they are very much committed to correcting. From my prespective it is an inconvenience at best. I do wonder how it made it through QC, but I am a root cause nerd though.
Sounds like you had a very similar conversation to mine. They are on high alert about this issue now. I was told that they cycle “dummy” rounds loaded to min SAAMI spec and rounds loaded to max spec. There needs to be a good reason as to why factory ammo is having an issue when the feed test was “passed”. In a respectful way I made it very clear that I don’t appreciate feeling like a beta tester and how this is handled from here will tell the tale.

Last edited:

OXN939

WKR
Well Be350ka, you are not alone. My 6.5 PRC will not pick up the second round from the box magazine when I do a full load of 3 rounds.

You analyzed it well. The second round is binding at the shoulders of the 3rd round that is at the bottom of the stack. None of them will move up in the box magazine. The follower is stamped whites PRC, just seems like the geometry of the follower and the box magazine itself is the cause of the hang up.

When this occurs you can rock the second round back and forth at the shoulder of the case by pushing of the bullet or the rim of the cartridge.

Here is the best pictures I could get of it.

Edit to add- ammo tested is 6.5 PRC 147 Hornady Match.

This exact thing happened to me with a Winchester Model 70 I had in .300 WM a few years ago. Would load just fine with only one round in the mag, but binded up when you loaded two. I disassembled the mag and compressed the leaf spring with a set of plastic pliers enough to basically reduce the amount of pressure it was applying to the follower, and this resolved the issue completely. Hope yours is as easy a fix.

I don't see 6.5 PRC listed as a "Delta L problem" cartridge, but it sure does look reminiscent of a miniaturized .300 WSM...

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
This exact thing happened to me with a Winchester Model 70 I had in .300 WM a few years ago. Would load just fine with only one round in the mag, but binded up when you loaded two. I disassembled the mag and compressed the leaf spring with a set of plastic pliers enough to basically reduce the amount of pressure it was applying to the follower, and this resolved the issue completely. Hope yours is as easy a fix.

I don't see 6.5 PRC listed as a "Delta L problem" cartridge, but it sure does look reminiscent of a miniaturized .300 WSM...
Thank you!! I too hope that the fix is simple and this can all be put to rest. The rifle sure is nice and I just want it back. But I’ll wait (only for a reasonable amount of time) until it’s ready for years of trouble free service.

Baddog

WKR
I bought a brand new m48 several years ago and the first time I fired it I couldn’t open the bolt. I got it home and using a piece of pipe over the bolt handle I got the bolt to open. Upon inspection there was a good size groove in the top of the chamber. I returned the rifle to them and they gladly put on a new barrel and it shoots great and I’ve killed a couple handfuls of animals with it but it proved to me that they are not actually shooting every rifle. When I brought this up the head boss got a little defensive and I suggested maybe he ought to keep a little closer tabs on his employees. So my experience is the rifle has been great after being fixed and they gladly fixed it, but maybe questionable quality control. Which seems to be a problem just about everywhere these days…

kipper09

WKR
I been messing with this 28 and I have some ammo coming my way. I’ve worked the bolt probably 15 times. I’m not sure if it’s normal but the black is wore off the bolt on the ridges. Like it’s brushing the inside of the receiver. Not sure if that’s normal or should happen. Just noticed it. I plan to use the rifle not look at it so I’m not terribly worried. Hopefully it functions as it’s supposed to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Sounds like you had a very similar conversation to mine. They are on high alert about this issue now. I was told that they cycle “dummy” rounds loaded to min SAAMI spec and rounds loaded to max spec. There needs to be a good reason as to why factory ammo is having an issue when the feed test was “passed”. In a respectful way I made it very clear that I don’t appreciate feeling like a beta tester and how this is handled from here will tell the tale.
Pretty simple really- they aren't performing those tests.
No way all these prc rifles are all slipping through a dummy proof test.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
I finally picked my M21 in 300WM up today. The good and bad...

The good- it's a very, very businesslike rifle with great fit and finish. The stock feels great- slim fore end, great non-slip finish, and not at all hollow sounding. The thread protector on the muzzle doesn't look like an afterthought and it knurled nicely. The trigger is very good out of the box and adjustable if it's not. Mine fed from the magazine with no issues like folks noted above. The magazine is pretty long like a Wyatt (it may be a Wyatt for all I know).

The extractor and ejector is an M16 type a'la Sako and looks beefy. I love the bolt travel- smooth and no slop in the raceway.

The rifle weighs in at a tidy 6.9 pounds (6 lb 14.25 oz)....less than the advertised 7.1 pounds.

The bad- the bases look like skyscrapers. I removed them and tried to mount a set of Leupold Backcountry 1-piece ring mounts for a Remington 700. The thread spacing is correct but the holes are 8x40 rather than the more common 6x48. The front one fits fine, the rear one has a different receiver diameter...so a set of Remington 700 bases everyone has a dozen sets of in the drawer isn't going to work.

I put a set of Warne 30mm Low rings on it and it's higher than I like for a hard cheek weld. Ditto for a set of Warne 1" Low rings...I'm left with my eye lining up with the bottom of the rings. Until someone like Talley makes a dedicated set of low mounts for the M21...I'm probably stuck with a stock pack to add some space under my cheek bone.

Bottom line- I'm thinking once I sort out a scope, it's going be a joy to hunt with.

Attachments

• IMG_1900.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 48

kipper09

WKR

The good- it's a very, very businesslike rifle with great fit and finish. The stock feels great- slim fore end, great non-slip finish, and not at all hollow sounding. The thread protector on the muzzle doesn't look like an afterthought and it knurled nicely. The trigger is very good out of the box and adjustable if it's not. Mine fed from the magazine with no issues like folks noted above. The magazine is pretty long like a Wyatt (it may be a Wyatt for all I know).

The extractor and ejector is an M16 type a'la Sako and looks beefy. I love the bolt travel- smooth and no slop in the raceway.

The rifle weighs in at a tidy 6.9 pounds (6 lb 14.25 oz)....less than the advertised 7.1 pounds.

The bad- the bases look like skyscrapers. I removed them and tried to mount a set of Leupold Backcountry 1-piece ring mounts for a Remington 700. The thread spacing is correct but the holes are 8x40 rather than the more common 6x48. The front one fits fine, the rear one has a different receiver diameter...so a set of Remington 700 bases everyone has a dozen sets of in the drawer isn't going to work.

I put a set of Warne 30mm Low rings on it and it's higher than I like for a hard cheek weld. Ditto for a set of Warne 1" Low rings...I'm left with my eye lining up with the bottom of the rings. Until someone like Talley makes a dedicated set of low mounts for the M21...I'm probably stuck with a stock pack to add some space under my cheek bone.

Bottom line- I'm thinking once I sort out a scope, it's going be a joy to hunt with.

The guy at nosler told me Talley was making their ultralight for the model 21. I called and they said they had medium alloy in stock if I recall correctly? Don’t quote me on that.. I have some concern about mounting a scope as well but that conversation made me feel a little better.

hodgeman

WKR
The guy at nosler told me Talley was making their ultralight for the model 21. I called and they said they had medium alloy in stock if I recall correctly? Don’t quote me on that.. I have some concern about mounting a scope as well but that conversation made me feel a little better.

I also heard from my friend at the shop that Talley is making a set of their ultralights for it. That'll work. I did consider that the rifle with a suppressor would probably benefit from the stock bases and low rings, albeit higher than I want. I don't have a can...yet.

Other good news. The magazine box is longer than standard. I broke out the OAL gauge and loaded the long 210gr ABLR out to the point it could touch lands. 2.5999". Even loaded at that long length, rounds fit and function in the magazine. I can't imagine there are many bullets that I won't be able to hit the lands with and still have a round that'll go through the magazine.

If Talley makes a set of 30mm UL Lows...that'll make it perfect.

Knoxp

Lil-Rokslider
I think the wearing on the bolt shows how close of tolerances they are putting together. For me this is normal and has shown at every wear surface of any rifle I have had.

kipper09

WKR
I also heard from my friend at the shop that Talley is making a set of their ultralights for it. That'll work. I did consider that the rifle with a suppressor would probably benefit from the stock bases and low rings, albeit higher than I want. I don't have a can...yet.

Other good news. The magazine box is longer than standard. I broke out the OAL gauge and loaded the long 210gr ABLR out to the point it could touch lands. 2.5999". Even loaded at that long length, rounds fit and function in the magazine. I can't imagine there are many bullets that I won't be able to hit the lands with and still have a round that'll go through the magazine.

If Talley makes a set of 30mm UL Lows...that'll make it perfect.

I agree. 30mm ultralights and I think I’m good to go. I really like the rifles fit and finish. Guess time will tell if it will shoot or not.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
I think the wearing on the bolt shows how close of tolerances they are putting together. For me this is normal and has shown at ever wear surface of any rifle I have had.
If you are referencing the bolt lugs, I too noticed that. Doesn’t concern me in the least.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR

Question, when you took your bases off…did they put any thread lock on those screws at the factory? I think XLows will be the way to go here, I’ll start there. Still wishing I could find some ammo to test the feed issue on my PRC. Don’t want to go mounting a scope until I do, in case I need to send it back.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
I have wear on my bolt lugs as well, see that as being totally normal. Can’t wait to start seeing range reports hit this thread!

hodgeman

WKR
Question, when you took your bases off…did they put any thread lock on those screws at the factory? I think XLows will be the way to go here, I’ll start there. Still wishing I could find some ammo to test the feed issue on my PRC. Don’t want to go mounting a scope until I do, in case I need to send it back.
I didn't see any, but I didn't look specifically for it. Once I get the scope sorted out, I'll probably throw a little Loc-Tite on there.

I did Loc- Tite the bolt handle to make sure it didn't back off.

hodgeman

WKR
Which X-lows are you going with?

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
I didn't see any, but I didn't look specifically for it. Once I get the scope sorted out, I'll probably throw a little Loc-Tite on there.

I did Loc- Tite the bolt handle to make sure it didn't back off.
As did I, not sure if you had the same issue…but mine would start to unscrew in no time. A little bit solved the issue

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Which X-lows are you going with?
I haven’t decided for sure, I’m partial to American Rifle Co…their rings are heavier than most but man they are absolutely bomb proof, and so easy to work with. I just haven’t decided if I want to throw 5.5 oz up there yet. I’ll plug a couple pictures of what the ARC extra lows would look like. A tad higher than I like but to my surprise…pretty good for MY cheek weld.

106B8933-1E4A-4705-A145-035B979AB1B2.jpeg
549F81DD-70E9-4C5E-8190-1104EA6DFA12.jpeg

ARC extra lows: .79” (20mm) to center of tube. Not sure what the talley XLows are? Seems that they measure from top of receiver to bottom of scope. From the top of the factory bases, to the bottom of my scope is .177” or 4.5 MM in the pics, anyone have the exact measurement of the factory bases?
Seekins low: .76”

Knoxp

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t decided for sure, I’m partial to American Rifle Co…their rings are heavier than most but man they are absolutely bomb proof, and so easy to work with. I just haven’t decided if I want to throw 5.5 oz up there yet. I’ll plug a couple pictures of what the ARC extra lows would look like. A tad higher than I like but to my surprise…pretty good for MY cheek weld.

View attachment 358359
View attachment 358360

ARC extra lows: .79” (20mm) to center of tube. Not sure what the talley XLows are? Seems that they measure from top of receiver to bottom of scope. From the top of the factory bases, to the bottom of my scope is .177” or 4.5 MM in the pics, anyone have the exact measurement of the factory bases?
Seekins low: .76”
That is cool! I like how you make shifted that. With that elevation on the scope can you see if there is any interference on the bolt knob. Also what scope is that?