Nosler Model 21

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
That is cool! I like how you make shifted that. With that elevation on the scope can you see if there is any interference on the bolt knob. Also what scope is that?
No interference with the bolt knob, this is a Leupold vx3i 3.5-10x40, 1” tube. I won’t be using this scope, but a vx3 4.5-14x40. Same tube, eye relief, etc so this should be an accurate representation. I can’t take credit for the penny thing though, American rifle co tells you how to do it on their site with your scope to determine ring height.

kipper09

WKR
Has anybody else found and mounted their optics? I ordered a vx5 and am trying to figure out the best way to mount it low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody else found and mounted their optics? I ordered a vx5 and am trying to figure out the best way to mount it low.

Not yet for me. Once my rifle comes back I’m going to take my scope and rifle to Eurooptic and try a bunch out to get it just right. When I do this I’ll post my findings.

Knoxp

Lil-Rokslider
My rifle shipped back to Oregon yesterday. I did pull the trigger on a Razor LHT. Will be a while before it’s mounted 😫

The guy at nosler told me Talley was making their ultralight for the model 21. I called and they said they had medium alloy in stock if I recall correctly? Don’t quote me on that.. I have some concern about mounting a scope as well but that conversation made me feel a little better.

I spoke with a guy from talley last week about the model 21 and He knew nothing about it. I need some low rings

hodgeman

WKR
Here is the email response I got from Talley...

We do have the mediums. We do have them in the production schedule for next year.
Thanks

Talley Manufacturing, Inc.
PO Box 369
9183 Old Number Six Hwy
Santee, SC 29142
803-854-5700
www.talleyrings.com

Here is the email response I got from Talley...

We do have the mediums. We do have them in the production schedule for next year.
Thanks

Talley Manufacturing, Inc.
PO Box 369
9183 Old Number Six Hwy
Santee, SC 29142
803-854-5700
www.talleyrings.com
So they have medium 1 inch in stock now? And producing other sizes in 2022? Thanks for the post

hodgeman

WKR
On the subject of rings...

I picked up a pair of Leupold PRW2 30mm Low rings and they come very close to being low enough that I can get a cheek weld. They are slightly lower than the 30mm Low Warne Maxima rings.

When compared to a set of the Leupold Backcountry 30mm Low rings side by side...the aluminum BC rings have at least 1/8"-3/16" more height from the bottom of the ring to the bottom of the base and were way too tall.

The PRW set weighs 1.5oz more than the BC set. Maybe not ideal, but not the end of the world either.

I suppose they could have been mismarked, but both packages said 'Low'...apparently 'low' isn't comparable across product lines- even from the same manufacturer.

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider

I picked up a pair of Leupold PRW2 30mm Low rings and they come very close to being low enough that I can get a cheek weld. They are slightly lower than the 30mm Low Warne Maxima rings.

When compared to a set of the Leupold Backcountry 30mm Low rings side by side...the aluminum BC rings have at least 1/8"-3/16" more height from the bottom of the ring to the bottom of the base and were way too tall.

The PRW set weighs 1.5oz more than the BC set. Maybe not ideal, but not the end of the world either.

I suppose they could have been mismarked, but both packages said 'Low'...apparently 'low' isn't comparable across product lines- even from the same manufacturer.
Good info! Thanks very much.

kipper09

WKR

The lowest I can find are ken farrell. I’ve never used a set but I’m thinking about giving them a shot. They are .735 while most others are .835.

Knoxp

Lil-Rokslider

Do they align with the action holes?

hodgeman

WKR
Do they align with the action holes?
I'm using the factory bases. The hole spacing in the receiver matches the spacing for a Remington 700, unfortunately the rear receiver ring diameter is different and a Rem 700 rear base doesn't fit- I posted a pic earlier in the thread of a 700 rear base on the M21 action.

The lowest I can find are ken farrell. I’ve never used a set but I’m thinking about giving them a shot. They are .735 while most others are .835.

The PRW2 are .730 on the 1 inch low. These are the lowest I’ve seen

Took the 21 280 Ackley to the range today for break in. The rifle shoots like a dream. Recoil feels like a mild 270. The stock and recoil pad really absorbs recoil well. On the first shot I fell in love. This is 1 purchase I’m really happy about. The last 3 shot group was .370 with factory 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Attachments

• 694D36BB-F010-4AAF-B65A-273B02D69DEE.jpeg
    694D36BB-F010-4AAF-B65A-273B02D69DEE.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 0C4513AE-DBF5-48FD-A395-1F714D9D9079.jpeg
    0C4513AE-DBF5-48FD-A395-1F714D9D9079.jpeg
    430.5 KB · Views: 75
  • B86D24BF-8C7D-49C1-A451-3328AD6805B7.jpeg
    B86D24BF-8C7D-49C1-A451-3328AD6805B7.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 68
  • BC60662C-7B07-45F1-A889-A562E53AFA50.jpeg
    BC60662C-7B07-45F1-A889-A562E53AFA50.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 63

hodgeman

WKR
Took the 21 280 Ackley to the range today for break in. The rifle shoots like a dream. Recoil feels like a mild 270. The stock and recoil pad really absorbs recoil well. On the first shot I fell in love. This is 1 purchase I’m really happy about. The last 3 shot group was .370 with factory 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Nothing wrong with that!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It seems like there is a huge opportunity for someone (anyone!) to build a rifle that retails for $2,000 or less and:

1. Test fire to ensure whatever accuracy guarantee is advertised and enclose target
2. Load the magazine and cycle all rounds in the course of the above

The only company I know that does #1 is Cooper, but those rifles are over $2,000.

Every European and Scandinavian company does this- Tikka, Sako, Blaser, Sauer, Merkel, etc, etc.

Why is this so hard? Do they just not want to pay an extra salary and have the required range space? Seems like paying the CS people and the return work from the smiths would be the same cost, if not more.....why not just do it right the first time...smh

Because American companies and American consumers don’t care and love junk things…. As long as it has a great warranty.

What's crazy is all the threads on here of customs showing up with these same issues from renowned gunsmiths.
Also- never buy first gen new release rifles.

I have had and seen rifles from most of the well known smiths- the big names. Precision hasn’t been much of an issue, but feed and function- oh yeah. Problems with a significant portion of those rifles, and from almost all the smiths. Most problems weren’t noticed by the owners due to how Americans shoot at a bench- slow and methodical, dropping one round at a time in the action, firing, slowly opening the bolt and catching the case. When you run the gun like you are supposed to, and like you do when needing a second shot under stress, issues pop up left and right. Same with inclement weather.

The reason for this is very simple- they don’t shoot nor test the rifles.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Good deal!! Hope my PRC follows suit. Thanks for posting