Nosler Model 21

bmmoses

FNG
It’s just some bondo and a quick squirt of paint.
And nothing will ever change if people keep making excuses for poor CS and subpar build quality. Accepting this as Normal, or the ways it’s always been, will only allow the trend to continue.

If companies want to sweet talk the industry with promises like the one posted above, it’s time for them to ACT like they care. Until then, customers are beginning to see these promises for what they are....nothing but lip service.

One would think with the transmission rates of information in today’s world that an issue such as the one at hand would have been addressed through public relations in short order. Positive resolution through timely communication would have had an enormous impact on the feelings regarding this ongoing issue.
Hello,

I just ordered an M21 in 6.5 PRC last week and then came across this thread. Have not picked it up so I have some options to refuse the shipment. I bought it as they had it at a very good price ($1,600). Now I'm concerned there is a reason for this.

Was this ever resolved? Would you, and anyone else with this issue, be able to send s/n's so I can see if the rifle coming in is in the same range?

I sent a note to Nosler with my concern and asked if this has been resolved. Will be interesting to see their response.

Thank you,

bmmoses

FNG
I got my M21 6.5 PRC back from Nosler today, everything is working properly. When I sent it in for the feeding issues in early March they told me they were still developing a fix for the issue and they were working with Kevin Wyatt on it. A couple weeks later they told me they were waiting for parts for a retrofit. Another week later they informed me that the parts were in and my gun would be repaired and in the mail in 3-4 days.
They installed a different magazine box and a much weaker follower spring.
I cycled the ammo 10 times this evening with no issues.
I must say that my experience with Nosler was much different than what I have seen on this topic on this forum. I dealt with Zac Waterman and he was honest, forthright and kept me informed on the progress on the issue throughout the process, completely professional in my case.
I’m sorry most of you didn’t have the experience I did, but I believe Nosler is a quality company and they showed me that they stand behind their products.
Hopefully I can get outside in the next few days and actually see how the gun shoots.
Mike
Hello,

I just ordered an M21 in 6.5 PRC last week and then came across this thread. Have not picked it up so I have some options to refuse the shipment. I bought it as they had it at a very good price ($1,600). Now I'm concerned there is a reason for this.

Would you be able to provide the contact at Nosler you worked with? I'd like to speak with them before I accept the rifle.

I sent a note to Nosler with my concern and asked if this has been resolved. Will be interesting to see their response.

Thank you,

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Hello,

Would you be able to provide the contact at Nosler you worked with? I'd like to speak with them before I accept the rifle.

Thank you,
I THINK some of the guys getting theirs back were working fine. Take a couple snap caps and test before you accept it.

I left mine with Nosler and have twin Springfield waypoints on the way :)

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

Was this ever resolved? Would you, and anyone else with this issue, be able to send s/n's so I can see if the rifle coming in is in the same range?

Thank you,
It was a royal mess for a while. I haven’t tried a Nosler since then and won’t! However, it appears that they redesigned A few components to make it work. I’m not totally sure though.

I bit the bullet and went with a Gunwerks in 6.5prc. I NEVER would have done this had the 21 been good from the get go. The GW is a shooter!! No regrets.

Baddog

WKR
It was a royal mess for a while. I haven’t tried a Nosler since then and won’t! However, it appears that they redesigned A few components to make it work. I’m not totally sure though.

I bit the bullet and went with a Gunwerks in 6.5prc. I NEVER would have done this had the 21 been good from the get go. The GW is a shooter!! No regrets.
Big jump in price.

bmmoses

FNG
I THINK some of the guys getting theirs back were working fine. Take a couple snap caps and test before you accept it.

I left mine with Nosler and have twin Springfield waypoints on the way :)
Snap caps are a good idea. Was going to make up some dummy rounds to cycle but the shop may not be comfortable with that.

Is there a specific person you worked with on your repair?

Thank you

bmmoses

FNG

Video from Kevin Wyatt on this. Not sure it's applicable to the M21

Be350ka

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting video from Kevin Wyatt on this. Not sure if it's applicable to the M21?

Video from Kevin Wyatt on this. Not sure it's applicable to the M21

I reached out to Wyatt and asked some questions. It did nothing for the functionality. The issues were very repeatable on several different rifles. They said that a redesign was in order for several components. What they actually did is unknown to me. I gave up after the companies stories changed time and again.

OP
Wapiti151

Wapiti151

WKR
Snap caps are a good idea. Was going to make up some dummy rounds to cycle but the shop may not be comfortable with that.

Thank you
We were all just working with customer service, but one person in CS. Go back in the thread, as I know we mentioned his name multiple times. David maybe? Then some of us started eventually working with Zach in PR. That’s who issued my refund. Hope the PRCs are working flawlessly now, and hope yours does too! I know the other calibers have been shooting well from what I’ve seen.

Thank you
Zach and David. They did get them fixed, but after working with Nosler.. I just had a bad taste for the 6.5 PRC and traded mine in for a 26 Nosler. Nosler (especially Zach) was awesome to work with.
The first time they sent it back, it was working great for them, but when I got it my rounds wouldn't load. I worked with Zach and they figured out the issue then and redesigned it again.

I'm hoping to get my 26 Nosler shot this weekend and if you do have any issues on it, just give Customer Service a call. They always kept me in the loop and I was impressed with their customer service. It did take them some time to resolve the issue, but they apologized to me multiple times and they took care of me.

It still baffles me how these rifles ever made it into the market. Cycling rounds is a basic function of any bolt action rifle with a magazine.
Well they did cycle Nosler rounds... that was the main issue. From what I was told, Nosler doesn't load the 6.5 PRC to max OAL. My rounds were from Hornady and, once I got to Zach, it didn't take them long to get it figured out. Probably a big slip on their part, but they did function and I had video proving it worked every time from them. The only reason I knew all that was, I point blank asked.

bmmoses

FNG
Just an update on the 6.5 PRC feeding issue. Seems to be a non-issue at this point.

I spoke with several folks at Nosler, David, Zach, and Caleb prior to accepting my rifle. All very helpful. I wanted to be certain a fix was available and the timing to get it should my rifle have an issue. Most have been returned by Distributors for this already but there was a chance mine would still require it.

Here's a summary of the issue and fix. Nosler initially used 270 WSM magazines for the 6.5 PRC. They are very close in size but the PRC requires a window in the box to allow room for the shells to fit properly. Also the spring needs to be replaced to allow proper tension and feeding (original was too strong I think).

Probably took them longer than it should have to line this out but it is now.

Turned out mine did have the issue but as there is a fix I accepted it, mainly as $1,600 delivered was low enough I could put a new mag in if needed. Received a shipping label the same day and should have the rifle back in a week or so.

Here is a video that explains the mag requirements on PRC's. I had a similar issue on a Fierce Fury so it seems to be a learning curve for the industry. PRC's are a bit different, but great cartridges.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Do we have any idea if Nosler is going to release an update to their mountain carbon rifle with the Model 21 action? It appears this is just a PRC issue and although it took a bit, has been resolved. I like their rifles, but the Model 48 is old and the stock looks pretty dull compared to other recent releases (Springfield 2020 and Weatherby backcountry 2.0.

Would love to see a Model 21 in 200AI with a 24" carbon barrel and better looking stock.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Been following this thread for a while and wanted to contribute since there really isn't much out there on these rifles. I just picked up a M21 in 28 Nosler last week. It's a damn fine rifle. I only put a few rounds through it so far...thing kicks like a mule! haha. But once I get my suppressor mount and suppressor on there, i'll report back with accuracy and so on. - Matt

Last edited:

ALScott

FNG
Classified Approved
Been following this thread for a while and wanted to contribute since there really isn't much out there on these rifles. I just picked up a M21 in 28 Nosler last week. It's a damn fine rifle. I only put a few rounds through it so far...thing kicks like a mule! haha. But once I get my suppressor mount and suppressor on there, i'll report back with accuracy and so on. - Matt
I just ordered the same and have now seen some things about recoil, some say not so bad others awful. What would you compare it to? I have a Steyr 270 WSM and have had 7mm Mag and 300 Wby Mag in the past. I wouldn't say the last two were fun range blinkers but I sighted them in and hunted with them and do not remember being scared of them.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just ordered the same and have now seen some things about recoil, some say not so bad others awful. What would you compare it to? I have a Steyr 270 WSM and have had 7mm Mag and 300 Wby Mag in the past. I wouldn't say the last two were fun range blinkers but I sighted them in and hunted with them and do not remember being scared of them.

Without the break or suppressor... recoil was pretty severe. Not lightweight 338win mag bad, but not super fun to shoot. No fault of the recoil pad or anything, it's just a light rifle. Now with the suppressor or just a brake on there, it's more like shooting a 243 or something. super fun to shoot now