NULA rifles

I have a Nula made by Mevin Forbes in 2015, it’s a model 20 in 308. Since moving to Wyoming, I’m having an itch for another one, with more energy than the 308. I’ve used it to kill elk, but have a moose hunt coming up. Is there anything that carries and shoots as nice as the NULA? Would it be possible to build a custom rifle as nice as this? I know he sold to WC, they are only making model 20s. I’ve considered buying another one or possible trading mine for one. Looking for some input from someone with more experience than mine. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AKredneck63

Lil-Rokslider
Got a 338wm ULA if you got trades we could figure something out maybe. Shoot me a pm if that caliber is why you may be looking for

By all means, snag another NULA if you can, but do not get rid of your .308. Ever. I repeat, don't get rid of it, especially for a .338 Win. Mag.

In my experience — 5 moose and maybe 7 elk — moose are much easier to hunt and kill than elk, so don't sweat using a .308 on 'em. It'll work as well as anything. Because of this forum, I'd use a 168-gr. TMK if I were ever hunting moose again.

As for carrying and shooting as well as a NULA, I suspect you can get one or the other but not both. Those guns just work. My little 6mm ARC NULA is a dream.

OP
JBirthisel
By all means, snag another NULA if you can, but do not get rid of your .308. Ever. I repeat, don't get rid of it, especially for a .338 Win. Mag.

In my experience — 5 moose and maybe 7 elk — moose are much easier to hunt and kill than elk, so don't sweat using a .308 on 'em. It'll work as well as anything. Because of this forum, I'd use a 168-gr. TMK if I were ever hunting moose again.

As for carrying and shooting as well as a NULA, I suspect you can get one or the other but not both. Those guns just work. My little 6mm ARC NULA is a dream.

This one’s set up with 168 grain vld. Melvin recommended nosler partitions, loaded at max at a starting point. Said it’ll shoot great above max.

OP
JBirthisel
IMG_0458.jpg

Clearly I need to get it out of the vault and dust it off! I have to wonder how many anniversary rifles he made and signed.

AKredneck63

Lil-Rokslider
Correct Wilson went their own way. Not fully bedded, uses ag composite stock instead of Melvin’s design, and uses their own in house barrel instead of a Douglas.

Grumman

WKR
Talk to OutKast Arms. They are working on Nulas and could build you something I’m sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elkbelter

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Colt Light Rifles--They are essentially a copy of a ULA. I have several with aftermarket stock and some with new barrels.
Gunbroker usually has a 7 mag or 300 wm for $700-1000. I have a stock 7mag with Outkast Arms copy of the ULA stock and is light & accurate.

Boonie327

FNG
There is nothing out there like Melvins rifles. Nothing against the Fieldcraft and or Wilson, they just aren’t NULAs. The former are probably more refined in appearance, but the magic is in the handmade stock and how stiff the original design is which allows for full length bedding. When you mess with a Fieldcraft/AG configuration vs a real NULA, you can really get a feeling for why the NULA works the way it does. No one is going to be able to produce the number of rifles that Barrett or Wilson wants to while making a stock like the original.

Outkast isn’t producing its own action yet, but they are working on NULAs, Forbes, Colts and Fieldcrafts. They are also doing some impressive stuff with Kimbers if you have one that you want “Melvinized”.

Last edited:

t_carlson

WKR
I just can’t believe people bought those guns from Melvin and didn’t get the green/stripe camo paint job.

That's what I ordered when I bought mine. I don't really care for the color. Its pretty ugly, actually.

But it seems WRONG to go with a different paint job, IMO. At least for the first one.

TN2shot07

WKR
You might consider a strata from rifles inc, not sure of your time line and Lex’s backlog right now. It would get you a similar weight and you aren’t limited on cartridge. He normally keeps a couple in stock, too