Going from multiple rifles to just one

Loper

WKR
I know a number of guys only have one hunting rifle, but I’m assuming that most saved up and bought one rifle they really liked and never had a desire or need to own another. However, has anyone had multiple rifles and decided to sell off all but one?

Over the last year, I’ve been working on simplifying and decluttering various things in my life and donating, selling, or tossing out things I don’t have a use for or things I’ve have multiple of. However, during this time the number of rifles I own has increased to more than I’ve ever had (probably because the money I’ve made selling stuff has gone to buying rifles and scopes). Now, this hunting season I’ve spent WAY too much time and energy debating in my head which rifle to take hunting. I’ve always been of the mindset that you can’t have too many guns, but now I’m thinking I should probably take the simplistic approach I’ve taken in so many other aspects of my life and applying it to my hunting equipment and rifles.

Has anyone been in this situation? Anyone simplified their hunting gear and sold off all but one rifle? If so, are you glad you did? Do you regret selling any or most of them?

I tried, but I’m back up to 3 different hunting rifles 🙄

I “need” an ultralight backpack rifle
A heavier long range gun
A medium range, lighter weight but still 600 yard capable gun

Oh and a dedicated “range” gun that I can shoot a ton and not care about burning up barrels.

Probably could do it all with a tikka 6.5 creedmoor, honestly

I recently did something close to this, not as extreme as going to one but still consider it.
I love guns so it was very hard to do.
I still kept all the guns that I've inherited from family members over the years.
I picked three calibers for bolt action hunting rifles. Then sold everything that wasn't in one of those calibers. From there I picked my favorite three rifles/scopes or my ideal rifle/scope I'd like to have. Very tough but I think I came out with three really great guns that I wouldn't mind grabbing for pretty much any type of rifle hunting above rimfire.

I still don't think I'm ready to go down to just one though. I do see great benefits in it but can't bring myself to it. I might pick one of my three and use it primarily though. Got to keep a couple around for when the kids get bigger.

Edit: I guess I do have a 4th bonus bolt rifle. What gun collection wouldn't be complete without a Rokslide Special in 223

Yeah I sold a lot of rifles. Whittled it down to a comp tikka and hunting tikka for my bolt guns.

It hurt to do but I shoot way more now. I’m considering selling a large frame gas gun I never shoot but hate to sell something that may get banned in the future.

I also sold all my pistols and bought a Glock 19.

In general I’m tired of owning guns I don’t use and train with and kept having half way set up guns that weren’t ready to rock and roll when I wanted to use them, or that I wasn’t extremely familiar with.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’ve gone to One Gun for my big game hunting needs. With some thought & research it’s not hard to build a system that’ll cover my requirements.
Simplifies things. Benefits to utilizing 1 rifle system.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I bought and sold lots, then consolidated into one rifle that I love to shoot without compromising anywhere. That was my 7mm SS. I love it.

Besides the rifle, I realized the scope was almost more important. Awesome scopes make even basic rifles fun to shoot long range.

The 7 SS was long and heavier. And, it was more than enough for deer so I got a barrel for a 25 SST. Besides that I do have some other rifles, but each one with a specific purpose.

I just fight the urge to buy another cool rifle… and, I try to remember that a gun is only fun if I actually shoot it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Has anyone been in this situation? Anyone simplified their hunting gear and sold off all but one rifle? If so, are you glad you did? Do you regret selling any or most of them?

The problem is that if you want to actually be skilled with a rifle you have to practice. Practicing wears them out. Now having two identical rifles with one a practice rifle and one a hunting rifle, yes. When the practice rifle barrel gets replaced, the hunting rifle becomes the new practice rifle and the old practice rifle becomes the new hunting rifle. Rinse and repeat.

Chambering gets a little bit harder due to barrel life, recoil, expense, and capability- but it’s doable. A one cartridge answer for everything is probably the 6 ARC- barrel life is near 308 level, recoil is no issue even for heavy practice, and external ballistics is bette than 308. A 308 could do it too, but it recoils quite a bit and is more expansive to shoot, though barrel life is good. A fast twist 223 and 6mm or 6.5cm is a good combo that can generally be interchangeable for most uses while one is getting rebarraled.

The problem is that if you want to actually be skilled with a rifle you have to practice. Practicing wears them out. Now having two identical rifles with one a practice rifle and one a hunting rifle, yes. When the practice rifle barrel gets replaced, the hunting rifle becomes the new practice rifle and the old practice rifle becomes the new hunting rifle. Rinse and repeat.

Chambering gets a little bit harder due to barrel life, recoil, expense, and capability- but it’s doable. A one cartridge answer for everything is probably the 6 ARC- barrel life is near 308 level, recoil is no issue even for heavy practice, and external ballistics is bette than 308. A 308 could do it too, but it recoils quite a bit and is more expansive to shoot, though barrel life is good. A fast twist 223 and 6mm or 6.5cm is a good combo that can generally be interchangeable for most uses while one is getting rebarraled.
This is the route I went. 223 SS Tikka for practice. 6.5 CM superlite for hunting. Covers everything for what I need for now. And when I shoot out the 6.5 barrel it's gonna become a 6 creed

elkguide

WKR
I thought about doing that, but I had a terrible boating accident and now I don't have to even worry about it as I couldn't save all but one.

I like guns. I agree that it doesn't make sense to have guns that you don't shoot regularly but I'm working on a new plan to get out and shoot a different gun each month.

The only guns that I regret are the ones that I have sold or traded away.

Although, each spring I would pick a new one to use for the upcoming hunting season, it seems like when it was time to go hunting, I always grab a .300 Win Mag.

Oof you had me til this sentence. I think you meant 308? Nah to each each their own, you’ll prob call me a fudd and I’ll ask about your manbun. It’s all good lol

I definitely agree with everything else you said though
Im a creedmoor whore 🤷 never owned a 308 but I live out west and shoot a lot, partial to the high BC stuff.

EdP

WKR
I have a few rifles. I enjoy shooting them, developing loads, and hunting with them. When a horse is going to be carrying my rifle I don't care so much what it weighs. A heavier rifle in a heavier caliber may be more optimal. When I am carrying a rifle on a backpack hunt for whitetail I want something light. I always want a back-up available if travelling for a hunt. The optimum rifle and best back-up is different depending on whether I am on an elk hunt vs pronghorn hunt. No way do I see myself going to a single rifle. 2 or 3 big game rifles might be an acceptable minimum at sometime in the distant future. Then there are varmint rifles and small game rifles, rifles that were my dad's, and rifles that I just like. I will probably still have most of them when I draw my final breath.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Lots of good feedback in this thread! Thank you all for your input and advice.

For those of you who may not have whittled it down to just one rifle, but have 2 or maybe three in the same or different calibers, are they all on the same platform, ie Tikka, R700, etc. or are they different rifles?