Going from multiple rifles to just one

All of my commonly used rifles are 700 type footprints. That being said I do have two savage actions that I tinker with periodically and am about to add a Tikka action to my stable. Who knows maybe then I’ll streamline my gear???…….

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I went down this road years ago. I sold all of my commercially produced rifles and consolidated them into a smaller selection of customs that fit a variety of game and hunting styles that I pursue.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Care to expand on what the smaller selection of customs are? I’m curious about the rifles and chamberings.

I tried, but I’m back up to 3 different hunting rifles 🙄

I “need” an ultralight backpack rifle
A heavier long range gun
A medium range, lighter weight but still 600 yard capable gun

Oh and a dedicated “range” gun that I can shoot a ton and not care about burning up barrels.

Probably could do it all with a tikka 6.5 creedmoor, honestly
I’m assuming the Tikka 6.5CM is the medium range, lighter weight rifle. What is the ultralight backpacker and the the heavy long range rifle?

I recently did something close to this, not as extreme as going to one but still consider it.
I love guns so it was very hard to do.
I still kept all the guns that I've inherited from family members over the years.
I picked three calibers for bolt action hunting rifles. Then sold everything that wasn't in one of those calibers. From there I picked my favorite three rifles/scopes or my ideal rifle/scope I'd like to have. Very tough but I think I came out with three really great guns that I wouldn't mind grabbing for pretty much any type of rifle hunting above rimfire.

I still don't think I'm ready to go down to just one though. I do see great benefits in it but can't bring myself to it. I might pick one of my three and use it primarily though. Got to keep a couple around for when the kids get bigger.

Edit: I guess I do have a 4th bonus bolt rifle. What gun collection wouldn't be complete without a Rokslide Special in 223
What are the three cartridges you selected?

I’m considering selling a large frame gas gun I never shoot but hate to sell something that may get banned in the future.

I also sold all my pistols and bought a Glock 19.

In general I’m tired of owning guns I don’t use and train with and kept having half way set up guns that weren’t ready to rock and roll when I wanted to use them, or that I wasn’t extremely familiar with.
I hear you on not selling things that might get banned in the future. This is a good reason to hold on, even if it doesn’t get used as much as it should.

I’ve gone to One Gun for my big game hunting needs. With some thought & research it’s not hard to build a system that’ll cover my requirements.
Simplifies things. Benefits to utilizing 1 rifle system.
What did you choose. Care to expand on your 1 rifle system?

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
I’ve previously whittled down some pistols and narrowed to fewer calibers. And lately I’ve been thinking of a less drastic rifle change than what you posted to try to end up with the 223/6.5 CM or 223/6 CM. But I’ve got a lot of time and energy into my other bolt actions (and lots of ammo). I know that if I really want to make the change, it will take a good bit of effort, and I may be too lazy to spend the time selling all of the stuff that needs to be sold to get there.

.22, 22-250, 223, 260, 6.5 PRC, 7RM, 7.62x39, 32-20, 308, 300WM
I shoot them all. I’m a poor seller. I can’t imagine having just one.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
The problem is that if you want to actually be skilled with a rifle you have to practice. Practicing wears them out. Now having two identical rifles with one a practice rifle and one a hunting rifle, yes. When the practice rifle barrel gets replaced, the hunting rifle becomes the new practice rifle and the old practice rifle becomes the new hunting rifle. Rinse and repeat.

Chambering gets a little bit harder due to barrel life, recoil, expense, and capability- but it’s doable. A one cartridge answer for everything is probably the 6 ARC- barrel life is near 308 level, recoil is no issue even for heavy practice, and external ballistics is bette than 308. A 308 could do it too, but it recoils quite a bit and is more expansive to shoot, though barrel life is good. A fast twist 223 and 6mm or 6.5cm is a good combo that can generally be interchangeable for most uses while one is getting rebarraled.
Very good point on practicing and having two identical set ups. I never considered this but it makes a lot of sense. This keeps things streamlined for ammo, keeps practice consistent with rifle functionality and dope, and also provides a backup rifle if traveling.

I tried a few years ago. I went from like 14 bolt guns to 3. I kept a Rem 700 223 Varmint, a Bergara Premier 6mm CM and a Christensen BA Tactical 6.5 PRC. I have since added a Ridgeline FFT in 280 AI. 4 is still way better than what I had.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I understand the benefits of having just one or two rifles but I not sure I could get rid of all my other rifles.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
I don't do any hunting beyond 200 - 300 yards tops. It's whitetail deer (although I do have a moose hunt planned for next year). Most of my shots are < 100 yards. For deer it's my Henry 44 Rem Mag Big Boy. For the moose it'll be my Henry 45-70 and expected to be shooting < 150 yards. I will have my Browning BAR 30-06 with me though in the event that the shooting environment may call for longer shots (I'll know better when I get up there). I originally bought the Browning as my "one gun" as the 30-06 is extremally versatile, but as I got older I always wanted a Henry rifle, so I got the 45-70. Then I got the 44 Rem Mag and it's the perfect deer rifle for my environment (GA/TN/KY) so I use all three.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The problem is that if you want to actually be skilled with a rifle you have to practice. Practicing wears them out. Now having two identical rifles with one a practice rifle and one a hunting rifle, yes. When the practice rifle barrel gets replaced, the hunting rifle becomes the new practice rifle and the old practice rifle becomes the new hunting rifle. Rinse and repeat.

Chambering gets a little bit harder due to barrel life, recoil, expense, and capability- but it’s doable. A one cartridge answer for everything is probably the 6 ARC- barrel life is near 308 level, recoil is no issue even for heavy practice, and external ballistics is bette than 308. A 308 could do it too, but it recoils quite a bit and is more expansive to shoot, though barrel life is good. A fast twist 223 and 6mm or 6.5cm is a good combo that can generally be interchangeable for most uses while one is getting rebarraled.
Agree 100% shooting lots will mean a 6.5 creed can be more deadly than a 6.5 PRC.

I went 6BRA for my light caliber hunting and practice rifles rather than get a different bolt face.

But, I have learned I need to practice recoil management as much as other skills. So, I always shoot my hunting rifle every time I go out.

As for my hunting rifles, barrels are like tires, so I figure 3-5 years on my hunting rifles.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Very good point on practicing and having two identical set ups. I never considered this but it makes a lot of sense. This keeps things streamlined for ammo, keeps practice consistent with rifle functionality and dope, and also provides a backup rifle if traveling.
Having the same set up build muscle memory especially if you are shooting the practice rifle more than the hunting rifle.

Same with the scope.

Care to expand on what the smaller selection of customs are? I’m curious about the rifles and chamberings.

I’m assuming the Tikka 6.5CM is the medium range, lighter weight rifle. What is the ultralight backpacker and the the heavy long range rifle?

I hear you on not selling things that might get banned in the future. This is a good reason to hold on, even if it doesn’t get used as much as it should.

What did you choose. Care to expand in your 1 rifle system?
I’ve got a 25 creedmoor tikka with LRHS 4.5-18 that’s about 9.5lbs for long range and elk. Tikka 22 creedmoor with swfa 3-9 a little over 8lbs for medium range. And my first rifle ever is a tikka 30-06 with nightforce 3-9 that’s now my timber/backpacking gun. The 6.5 creedmoor is a factory tikka in a KRG bravo with a swfa 5-20. They all shoot great like tikkas should

wyosam

WKR
I have one I hunt with now. Have a couple loaners, one of which is a near twin to my hunting rifle (same action, same trigger, same scope, same stock)- that one gets lots of rounds through it, wears a few different barrels depending on my mood, and functions as a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with four technically since I originally forgot my RSS 223.
The three narrowed down to before adding the rss to my collection were a Weatherby Mark V .243 win, Tikka Super lite 6.5 cm, and browning xbolt .30-'06.
I've considered dropping the .243 because it and the 223 are close, but I just really like that round a lot and there's a good selection of ammo and bullets that work very well.
I for sure will never get rid of my AR, so 223/5.56 will always be in the mix. Same goes for my M1 garands and .30-06.

I guess I could just settle on two with the 223 and 30-'06 but where's the fun in that lol

Sled

WKR
For those of you who may not have whittled it down to just one rifle, but have 2 or maybe three in the same or different calibers, are they all on the same platform, ie Tikka, R700, etc. or are they different rifles?

I sold all my rem 700 and 700 clone actions. Still have some Kimber, weatherby, browning and savage but I use and build on Tikka actions. I haven't shot any of those other rifles in 5 or more years. The Tikka in 22lr, .223, 6.5cm and 270wsm are all I've shot. The rest just sit in the safe for the future. They go up in value, can be sold, used or given to family.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Lots of good feedback in this thread! Thank you all for your input and advice.

For those of you who may not have whittled it down to just one rifle, but have 2 or maybe three in the same or different calibers, are they all on the same platform, ie Tikka, R700, etc. or are they different rifles?
I have narrowed down most of my rifles down to .308 or 6.5manbun, slightly redundant… but enjoy the relatively available and less expensive ammo. I have tikkas, 2 CA’s, a savage, and browning BLR( as hunting rifles) I think the way to go if you were going to do 1or 2 rifles would be the form way. 2 clones, a trainer & hunter. Or maybe a .223 trainer and a 6.5/6mm/243/.308 hunter, same rifle same scope, stock, ect. As a side note I think most of the next rifles I buy in the future will be tikkas… the action is too damn smooth for the cost

Not down to one rifle but like another poster I sold several factory rifles and built less customs.

Truth be told if I owned a .223, .308 and 300WM that would be sufficient for the rest of my life in the center fire realm.

I have a few more I need to sell off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
I’m on a similar path. Cleaning out utilitarian pieces w/o memories and replacing with fewer heirloom style pieces I’ll both shoot more and pass down

Dennis

WKR
I need to thin my collection out. I seem to be settling on a 30-06 with a great scope as the one, at least for now.

Maybe next year.