Going from multiple rifles to just one

Maverick1

WKR
Lots of posts on this thread displaying an inability to count.

I only owned one rifle for about 20 years. Tikka 270. Have added a couple more over the last couple of years and kind of wished I hadn’t. KISS is often better for me. But I’m primarily a bow hunter and don’t rifle hunt much, if at all, so I don’t make it to the gun range much. Certainly respect those that do, though. Do what makes you happy, whether that is owning one rifle or six hundred of them!

gtriple

WKR
Lots of posts on this thread displaying an inability to count.

I only owned one rifle for about 20 years. Tikka 270. Have added a couple more over the last couple of years and kind of wished I hadn’t. KISS is often better for me. But I’m primarily a bow hunter and don’t rifle hunt much, if at all, so I don’t make it to the gun range much. Certainly respect those that do, though. Do what makes you happy, whether that is owning one rifle or six hundred of them!
That 270 to 284 range is about perfect for owning only one rifle.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One rifle. What is the maximum range for your hunting?

I would get the smallest caliber/case that will reliably keep the bullet in the vitals, all for the best precision with the least recoil. Bullet construction matters more than bullet caliber.

Good luck on your quest. In a lot of ways, I envy those with minimal rifle collections. For some weird reason, my rifles accumulate much faster than I can sell them. I wish my bank account worked that way. Come to think of it, these two phenomena may be related....

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in this process currently myself decided it was time to sell all of them and have a custom rifle built while in this process though I'm also building one myself to hunt with while the custom is being built so I'll technically have two rifles primary and a backup honestly feel you gotta have a backup.

Jktx0710

FNG
270 is a great “do everything pretty well” round, from light weight 90-100gr bullets for coyotes or foxes, to 130-150 for deer/hogs/elk/bear.

BXB77

FNG
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, Im not going to sell anything, but I'm thinking about building a 7SAUM or & 7SS for everything

wildcat33

WKR
I’ve limited myself to four rifles due to space constraints.
T1x 22lr
T3x 223
Custom 308
Tikka t3x 6.5-284

If I want a new rifle, something has to go to make room for it. So that keeps me in check. It also forces me to optimize what I have rather than spreading out too much.the custom 308 will get replaced with a 6cm as soon as I shoot up all my 30cal reloading supplies.

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I think this line of thinking is more common than you realize. I sold a bunch of expensive rifles, pistols etc because they weren’t doing anything my cheaper guns would do and I couldn’t see a need for all of them. When we added up the value of what was sitting in the back of the truck in rifles/optics/etc this year in Idaho, it really put it into perspective how easy it is to get caught up in the latest “best” option. I’d much rather have a cheaper no frills tool and a thermal than one expensive rifle set up.

As far as bolt guns - I’m in the 22, 223/556, and 300 wm camp (all tikkas). I couldn’t divest myself of all 30cal magnums (yet). I have two boys so I may honestly at some point “double up” so they have something to get passed down, but for now I like keeping it to what I need in the most basic and practical sense. Also moving every 2-3 years is a pain when moving guns, ammo etc.