NW Montana-Snow Pack - Green Up

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hearing it was a mild winter. Green up coming sooner.. some bears already seen roaming.. what are y’all’s observations or thoughts so far this year? We usually hit 2nd week of May.. but may look at end of April. We usually hunt 4500-6500ft.

GoatPackr

WKR
I wouldn't get excited. Still snowing in Western MT at my parent's place.
They are having a little warm up but forecast is still calling for snow.
It has been warmer and less snow this year though. But it could make for a later snow pack.

Kris

OP
Wildatheart

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't get excited. Still snowing in Western MT at my parent's place.
They are having a little warm up but forecast is still calling for snow.
It has been warmer and less snow this year though. But it could make for a later snow pack.

Kris
Good to know .. !! Thanks

I agree I'm in central MT there's been a few bears around. It's been a warm dry winter. The whole last week has been in the high 50-60s and tomorrow is supposed to be 70 degrees. Yes it could snow a bit more but winter is officially over. Hell we get snow in June almost every year but it's wet and heavy and will melt in a day or 2. The grass is starting to show a little green and I've even seen a few buds on trees. As far as timing your trip your still fine in May I wouldn't worry to much about jumping ahead.

OP
Wildatheart

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
I agree I'm in central MT there's been a few bears around. It's been a warm dry winter. The whole last week has been in the high 50-60s and tomorrow is supposed to be 70 degrees. Yes it could snow a bit more but winter is officially over. Hell we get snow in June almost every year but it's wet and heavy and will melt in a day or 2. The grass is starting to show a little green and I've even seen a few buds on trees. As far as timing your trip your still fine in May I wouldn't worry to much about jumping ahead.
Great …! Thanks for the info..

GoatPackr

WKR
This pic is about 1 min old.

Looking west at the east side of Bitterroots. Sounds like 75% of normal

Kris

Attachments

• Resized_20240327_192049_1711588864089.jpeg
    Resized_20240327_192049_1711588864089.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 32

GoatPackr

WKR
Beautiful picture and thank you for sharing it. Looks like I’ll wait until May to start hunting.
If you want to shoot me a message in a few weeks I can see about getting more updates. That's the view from my parents kitchen window.

Kris

Larry100

FNG
I absolutely will. Thank you for the information.

I’m trying to time the 5 day hunt for the best possible odds of seeing them. Last year was quite good week after Mother’s Day. Saw 6 bears in 5 days. One color phase 25 yards off the road that we were to slow on the draw to shoot.