Official Montana 2023 Draw Thread!

What season are you planning to hunt?

• Total voters
Montana only looks at your 2nd choice if your 2nd choice district has a surplus of tags vs people who had that district as their first choice. In other words, they dont look at all your choices if your number is pulled. Your 2nd choice would need to have more tags available than people who put in for that district as their first choice in order for your 2nd choice to be considered.
I understand how the draw works. Just seems odd that it would change so much (for B tags) in one year, especially given that tag numbers for this unit were unchanged. For example, my second choice had a quota of 100 NR tags last year. There were 150 first choice applicants, and all drew because there were surplus tags from the resident draw. There were also X number of second and third choice applicants that all drew because of the surplus resident tags that weren't issued to residents.

I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a low number on the alternate list for the elk combo.

Fowl Play

WKR
I understand how the draw works. Just seems odd that it would change so much (for B tags) in one year, especially given that tag numbers for this unit were unchanged. For example, my second choice had a quota of 100 NR tags last year. There were 150 first choice applicants, and all drew because there were surplus tags from the resident draw. There were also X number of second and third choice applicants that all drew because of the surplus resident tags that weren't issued to residents.

I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for a low number on the alternate list for the elk combo.
Definitely was allot more interest this year... 2 point success rate on the non resident big game combo went from 97.5% to roughly 83%... I'm sure everything had more applications than last year

Legend

WKR

In 2022 there were only 6 units in the state that even considered the second choice. Also, just for clarification there is no NR allotment of tags. NR can draw up to 10% which is quite different.

Anymore I do not even waste my time putting a second choice. But if you did it would have only made sense to use one of the six 100% draw success units from 2022.

Good luck on the alternate list.

MT257

WKR

Depending on how winter counts went what’s published in regs may not be the actual amount of permits awarded. The bios can adjust within quota ranges.

Chrisamx

FNG
I think most posts inevitably turn into this unfortunately. I'm hoping that we can just congratulate successful drawings and give some guidance to those that don't understand the system so that they can draw in the future. Time will tell...
Most understand point systems are nothing more than ponzi and pyramid schemes and those sort of things attract complaints.