Official Montana 2023 Draw Thread!

What season are you planning to hunt?

• Total voters

Bones72

FNG
Hopefully I draw this year. Going into this years draw I have 2 preference points and 5 bonus points. I applied for unit 410-21. If drawn I'm going with Flatwillow Creek Outfitters. I called the FWP the other day asking when the draw was and the rude lady said, ITS the second week of April!! :rolleyes: Time for a new JOB...LOL In years past when did they draw? I need to be quick so I don't miss my opening with the outfitter. Thanks

Reactions: JSG

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
Quick question on the draw.. applied as a party for my first time this year. I had 0, bought a pp, he had 1, bought a pp. From my understanding of the Montana draw system, that’s 3/2= 1.5 pp which rounds up to 2. I had 4 bonus points, he had 3. 7/2= 3.5 then rounds up to 4. Correct? Or have I completely misinterpreted the regs.

I am not in the draw this year so that will help with your odds. Instead I will be spending most of Sept in AZ. Here is another LOL for you to complain about bmart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

fatlander

WKR
Not sure of the exact stats, you could probably get a good idea from last year’s draw numbers. However, I’d guess 95%+- since I know people that drew with 0 and 1 over the past 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one with less than 2 points drew last year except for the 0s. It took 2.2 points to be guaranteed. 2 points was 97.5%

12,188 people had greater than 0 but less than 2 points last year.

There are only 12,750 tags that go to those withe preference points. The rest go to the zero pool. Everyone applying with an outfitter should have at least two points. It’ll be 85ish percent with two points this year is my guess.

Montana legislature will move the goal post again year after next when outfitted clients aren’t drawing tags.

Quick question on the draw.. applied as a party for my first time this year. I had 0, bought a pp, he had 1, bought a pp. From my understanding of the Montana draw system, that’s 3/2= 1.5 pp which rounds up to 2. I had 4 bonus points, he had 3. 7/2= 3.5 then rounds up to 4. Correct? Or have I completely misinterpreted the regs.
Montana won’t round up. You’ll be at 1.5pp and 3.5 bonus points.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
They don’t round preference points

They do round bonus points

Well that stinks.. I thought I read that they round up points but I must have only seen the bonus points and assumed it was both. We’d have been much better off just applying separately like we normally do. I’d have gone in with 0 and he’d have had 2. That’s going to be a tough conversation tomorrow telling him I basically screwed him out of a Montana tag this year.

My buddy and I are in at 0, drew in 2019, hoping to draw again. Especially with Winter Kill in Colorado (the hopeful backup OTC option).

I’m afraid MFWP has done it again and is on the verge of screwing up the draw again this year. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think so. Just looked at my email attachment from this years application and it says clearly I have more bonus points than I actually do. Logged into My FWP and confirmed it for both the deer and elk permits I put in for. Then I checked my wife, same thing. It says bonus points accumulated though 2022 is 1 for deer and one for elk even though she drew both those tags in 2022. Unlike preference points, bonus points are only awarded AFTER an unsuccessful draw and used to gain advantage in subsequent years drawing. Checked the regs and confirmed that’s correct. It’s clearly started in there as such. You should check your info- be curious to know if you all have the same screw up
or if my family is just the lucky recipients of free bonus points from MFWP.

From the 2023 DEA Montana regulations-

Attachments

• C258AA91-E7EC-4126-BDF8-6395CC966DE4.jpeg
    C258AA91-E7EC-4126-BDF8-6395CC966DE4.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 88

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
I’m afraid MFWP has done it again and is on the verge of screwing up the draw again this year. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think so. Just looked at my email attachment from this years application and it says clearly I have more bonus points than I actually do. Logged into My FWP and confirmed it for both the deer and elk permits I put in for. Then I checked my wife, same thing. It says bonus points accumulated though 2022 is 1 for deer and one for elk even though she drew both those tags in 2022. Unlike preference points, bonus points are only awarded AFTER an unsuccessful draw and used to gain advantage in subsequent years drawing. Checked the regs and confirmed that’s correct. It’s clearly started in there as such. You should check your info- be curious to know if you all have the same screw up
or if my family is just the lucky recipients of free bonus points from MFWP.
I noticed the same thing once the phone app was introduced. Bonus points went up one as soon as everything was purchased. Haven’t heard of it being hit or miss but more so the norm now.