Ok time to spend our money in the right places, but where?

KBC

WKR
So I think I just broke up with a preferred hunting clothing brand after the shirt I bought on sale says made in China on the label. I even emailed them I didn’t think I could support them anymore until their stuff is made in better places.

I could buy 5 of these made in China shirts or I could buy a made in the USA exo K3. It doesn’t ad up.

What brands of hunting gear and clothes are made in good places that pay their employees a living wage?

With the current world events we need to support companies that we are closer to. Companies that operate in our communities and contribute to the betterment of the places we live.

I’m Canadian so I would obviously prefer to support Canadian companies but Canada and the USA are so closely intertwined(maybe more than Americans realize) made in the USA is also important to me since I have many American family members as well.
So with that, what companies should we be buying?

I already mentioned EXO, I have a K2. Who else?

EDIT: Will I be breaking rules if I post links to companies that aren't a sponsor?

Second edit: Here's a list so far that has been suggested in the comments
-KUIU (kind of get a maybe? impression though)
-Kifaru
-Beyond Clothing
-Triple Aught Design
-XGO
-Military surplus
-Arc'Teyrx-some is made in Canada
-Tarptent
-Seek Outside
-Nice electric bike outfit in Vancouver(don't know the name)
-Taiga

Last edited:

reaperukon

Lil-Rokslider
I agree on supporting American made. I’m ok if it costs a bit more. What I have trouble with is buying an inferior product. We can voice our desires for American made, but in the end SO many want it cheaper and will look elsewhere that it affects demand. Clothing is the hardest to find. I’ve settled on KUIU as it fits the bill and at least it’s not China (Vietnam isn’t far off though admittedly).

I support a couple small knife builders for this very reason. American made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I'm all in favor of everything being made in the US. Unfortunately, the infrastructure and labor force, including skill doesn't exist but for a small fraction compared to Asia. The sad reality is that for every one of us that actually care and want everything made domestically, there are about 10 million other Americans that want it cheaper and faster, which means Asian manufacturing. They frankly don't care or value supporting the US economy. To say its an uphill battle is a massive understatement. Its an inverted cliff! But to answer your question about where you can get US made clothing, check out Beyond Clothing, Triple Aught Design, XGO, and don't pass on looking at military surplus clothing systems that were developed in the last 20 years. Much of it is actually very high performing and will absolutely do the job.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m 100% over kuiu at this point, I’m not throwing away the stuff I have but when it’s time for replacement, I’ll be looking elsewhere.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
Good idea. Closer to home, try and support local shops, restaurants, etc. The little guy is going to be hurt the most with all of this.

hockey7

FNG
Easier said than done KBC. I was at our local Canadian Tire store in Ontario months ago, and watched as an employee brought out skids of stock. On EVERY box was stamped "made in china"....EVERY box!

How many customers will buy the cheaper brand, and how many actually realize this stuff is made overseas.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
Maybe it is easier said than done but I think some of you are missing the point. Obviously there are some things you won’t be able to get away from but not just what brands to buy but also what stores.
When the Canadian dollar recovers a bit I’m going to order some stuff from S and S because I have a lot of respect for Steve and the way he treats his customers and makes packs.
You could say too many people want it cheap and give up, or you could be part of a solution that helps some smaller businesses stay open when the big box stores are trying to shut them down.
The idea is to try and be a little less reliant on China. Those communist f$&@s shouldn’t hold the amount of cards they do.

Edited cuz my grammar sux

Last edited:
For Canadians, Arc'Teyrx can be found "made in Canada" it's not all of their stuff, but I have a bomber ski jacket that was. It's not technically "hunting" but good gear is good gear.

Beendare

WKR
The US has some of the best tent makers anywhere; Tarptent, Seek Outside and Kifaru

Edit; Some of the best sleeping bags too; Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends

Canada; I really haven't been paying attention but.... Theres a nice electric bike made by an outfit in Vancouver.

____

Last edited:
Reactions: KBC
OP
K

KBC

WKR
Maybe I should have put this in the general discussion forum. I think I will edit the op and make a list of all the companies that get recommended in this thread though.

OP
K

KBC

WKR
These guys make down sleeping bags and have some merino for a lot cheaper among some other things made in Canada;
I emailed them this awhile back asking about their stance on hunting and this was the reply;
"Sorry for the late reply. We are committed to produce Canada’s best outdoor gear. What you do with it is your business. That’s our stance. --- Erich (tech/admin.)"
The late reply was about 4 days after my email. I think I will get a sleeping bag from them.

Down gear can often be found made local, I picked up my quilt from Hammock Gear, and a bunch of the other small down manufacturers like feathered friends, JacksrBetter etc. I'm leaning towards these guys for my next down jacket so I can get one that fits a bit better.

I agree on supporting American made. I’m ok if it costs a bit more. What I have trouble with is buying an inferior product. We can voice our desires for American made, but in the end SO many want it cheaper and will look elsewhere that it affects demand. Clothing is the hardest to find. I’ve settled on KUIU as it fits the bill and at least it’s not China (Vietnam isn’t far off though admittedly).

I support a couple small knife builders for this very reason. American made

Agree. I always try to support local first, which seems to be easier and easier the past few years!

I used to wear a ton of TAD Gear. Also really like my Beyond Clothing items.

I have a few Patagonia MARS items that are made in the US. It’s been solid stuff.

Wild Things gear. Packs and clothing. They make good stuff as well.

It’s all military type stuff. So colors are limited to multicam, coyote, and some grey.

Lawnboi

WKR
In the hunting/camping/shooting industry it’s pretty easy to buy US made for the most part. It’s an important factor to me when I’m picking something out. That said I like my tikkas, European boots and finding quality US clothing at a price I can afford is pretty darn tough.

Kifaru and seek outside are two of the most stand up companies Iv ever dealt with. Happily will give them more money.
MSR has a lot of US made gear
Western mountaineering bags
Almost all my archery and shooting gear is US made
Iv got a ton of US made knives
Don’t forget of the small guys like mld and borah

Kuiu started making their clothing in Canada. I bought a bunch when it came out, and still do buy some items that I like, but it’s all made overseas now.

I could dig through my gear pile and list another 50 business at least. Most in the firearms/archery industry.