Old 45/70 casing?

gberb18

FNG
Found this old casing the other evening hunting in NW South Dakota, about 10 miles south of the Battle of the Slim Buttes. Casing has no markings but appears to be a 45/70 caliber, with it compared to a modern casing in one picture. The old casing looks to have a built-in primer as well; I have heard that the purpose of this was to keep Indians and other enemies to be able to reload the spent round.

A friend has found two casings from ground in Wyoming called Bates Battlefield. Here in 1874 there was a skirmish between the cavalry and a camp of Indians. I added a picture of one of the casings the day it was found. The two casings he has found are perfectly identical to the one I found in NW South Dakota.

Anyone ever find something like this or have any guesses as to what/when it’s from?
IMG_0408.jpegIMG_0406.jpegIMG_0400.jpegIMG_0405.jpegIMG_0409.jpegIMG_0410.jpeg

GoatPackr

WKR
That's a really cool find. It could have been used for shooting injuns or even left behind by a Buffalo hunter.

Kris

ODB

WKR
That’s called a Benet primed case. The primer part was held at the bottom of the inside of the case by those crimps. Invented 1860s-ish and used until early 1880s.

I think the cartridge was just called the 45 government then.

wyogoat

WKR
I agree! If that thing could talk…it could have a very interesting history. Have a metal detector?

Pap89

FNG
I have an old marlin that is 45-70, surprisingly enjoyable to shoot!

OP
gberb18

gberb18

FNG
What’s that other thing in the third picture?
That’s a steel arrowhead one of my friends found on his ranch in western South Dakota. I don’t know that much about it but he said it’s supposedly traded from the Hudson Bay Company very early during the fur trade era. Found it under a rock on a tall butte overlooking a lot of country on his ranch.

That’s a steel arrowhead one of my friends found on his ranch in western South Dakota. I don’t know that much about it but he said it’s supposedly traded from the Hudson Bay Company very early during the fur trade era. Found it under a rock on a tall butte overlooking a lot of country on his ranch.
Pretty cool. I’ve never even heard of steel arrowheads before. Learn something every day.

Oldbuff

FNG
What a great discovery that is. One may have shot injuns with that.
I believe it would have a fascinating past if it could speak.