On or within 1 mile of private agricultural land

1) How can i find private ag land on OnX? Is there a way to confirm if they are actively selling for commercial purposes?

2) I assume the primary intent of this is for (A) private ag land owners and (B) for the public that draw the tag and know of places with public land that borders private ag land?

1702311779359.png

I fished with a dude that instead of OnX used an real estate industry specific tool that shows property ownership, but the intention is for sourcing real estate deals. I wish I knew the name of it, but I would imagine a tool like that might have more of the commercial info you are looking for.

I don't know that the land has to be in commercial production.

I.e.: if you have a hay field and cut the hay for your horses (not for retail) that is still within the definition of agriculture.

It's pretty easy to see what land is being used for agriculture in the west. It's either got circular pivots or is unnaturally uniform (with or without obvious rows) and probably adjacent to major drainages.

If you really want to get deep in the weeds, do some googling for Lidar data.

OP
ripcurlksm
I don't know that the land has to be in commercial production.

I.e.: if you have a hay field and cut the hay for your horses (not for retail) that is still within the definition of agriculture.

It's pretty easy to see what land is being used for agriculture in the west. It's either got circular pivots or is unnaturally uniform (with or without obvious rows) and probably adjacent to major drainages.

If you really want to get deep in the weeds, do some googling for Lidar data.

Here is how Idaho defines agricultural in 2023 season

1702447047681.png

Reactions: TVW

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Spartan Forge mapping this year and I believe even the free version has a few layers so maybe try that. Agg is one of the map layers so it highlights the parcels in color and they are marked as "corn, carrots, beans, etc" based on last years planting information though. But if you have UAV in your area the aerial photos are pretty up to date to see what's there.

rclouse79

WKR
I have never hunted a tag limited to 1 mile of agriculture land, but it seems like it would be a nightmare for fish and game to enforce.

OnX has a layer for crops. It's in the group "Trees, Crops & Cover" and then go down and turn on "US Crop Distribution." I think that's the easy button for e-scouting. Like any western hunt you're e-scouting for ahead of time, better have plans A through F.

TheTone

WKR
Just because OnX shows it as ag or cultivated doesn’t mean it currently is. I know some spots around me that are clearly fields with OnX but if you actually go look at them it’s not currently being farmed. Go confirm stuff on the ground and/or seek out private land access

87TT

WKR
The problem with that is it is hard to find public land that is accessible there. Most is other private or landlocked.