"Only accurate rifles are interesting" - AR15 Edition

WKR
Take a look at Stag Arms.
Second this. Three of my buddies bought Stag arms model 7, which is kind of a varmint gun. Guaranteed half minute, and they shoot sub-minute ten shot groups. Nothing special about the trigger, just nice and clean. A2 style stock.

In the Marines, you shoot a b mod target from prone off your elbow in gravel at 500 meters. Keep in mind this is done with an m16 that has untold thousands of rounds and amateur cleanings, has been dropped on concrete and filled with sand, does not have a free float handguard, and, uses iron sights. Experts might only drop 1 out of 10 from the black. They are inherently accurate and easy to shoot.

Screenshot_20230905_151421_Google.jpg

20230528_192533.jpg

h2so4

WKR
Sons of Liberty Gunworks would be one to check out now.

I love my old noveske gen 1 rogue hunter. It's got the SS barrel, etc. I also really enjoy the SBR life (noveske, again) and would suggest getting a lower into the SBR process. You can still shoot it as a 16" until the stamp comes back. Shooting the short barrel is just convenient and it fits in a backpack.

TaperPin

WKR
I know less about AR’s than the bowel movements of owls, and many poo poo the accuracy of them, but I had good luck with regular inexpensive CNMG parts and 5.56 barrel.

Whatever you choose, if it doesn’t shoot well right off the bat, and you’re comfortable setting headspace, rebarrel. Barrels are so inexpensive and easy to change there’s no reason not to. The barrel manufacturing process for any mass produced gun is less than ideal, and for gas guns it seems even more crude. Many AR guys that burn up barrels quickly, or are gathering parts on the cheap, would gladly buy a newish barrel that shoots 2MOA for a slight discount off new price.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Ar15 is too broad. What do you want the rifle to do?

You can have compass lake or white oak or Craddock build you a precision gasser, but that might not be what your purpose needs
I want a rifle that is more like a "combat" or 3-gun rifle. Something that doesn't have a heavy varmint barrel. But I want it to shoot about 1moa. It's going to mainly be a rifle that I just shoot for fun, but if I decide to hunt deer or hogs with it, it's plenty accurate.

Fully ambi, adjustable gas block, excellent trigger, DLC coated bolt.

I want a rifle that is more like a "combat" or 3-gun rifle. Something that doesn't have a heavy varmint barrel. But I want it to shoot about 1moa. It's going to mainly be a rifle that I just shoot for fun, but if I decide to hunt deer or hogs with it, it's plenty accurate.

Fully ambi, adjustable gas block, excellent trigger, DLC coated bolt.
Both craddock and white oak have barrel contours designed around 3 gun. If you want it more “combat” esk id imagine a criterion will be one of the more accurate chrome lined options.

Shouldnt be too difficult to build

Last edited:
LMT’s QC has not been great since they moved facilities and cranked up production a few years ago. I’ve had to send numerous parts pack for issues and pretty much bypass them at this point. They’re also gassy AF with a suppressor.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
JP Rifles makes the best and there’s no doubt. You pay for it too.

I am honk you have to say what you want to do with the rifle. I hunt and shoot DMR style matches with my AR15. I think a great balance of everything and built as a whole rifle is the Seekins Precision DMR. They started with ARs and then did bolts. Great package in both at a good cost.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have an older 14.5” Noveske that shoots pretty well. When my daughter or I are not hunting with it, I swap out the scope for an Aimpoint and LMT sights.

Five shots with 77 gr TMKs at 100 yds:

IMG_3305.jpeg

Doe at 230+ yards with a 77 gr TMK:

IMG_1939.jpeg

Coyote with a 77 gr. TMK:

IMG_0555.jpeg

Fordguy

WKR
In the full realization that I'm likely to catch some flack on this- I've seen and shot ARs that were PSA Lower and a complete BCA upper that were sub moa. Easily sub moa. At sale prices the total cost was less than $350. Are they durable? I have no idea. With the load and bullet weight, (in this case 60 grain vmax at 2800 fos) I've witnessed and fired multiple 3 shot groups and all were less than 1" at 100 yards from a single particular rifle. The best three shot group of the day looked like 2 shots stacked on top of each other.
How common are ultra cheap, sub-moa AR 15s? Again, I have no idea, but they are out there.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
I have an older 14.5” Noveske that shoots pretty well. When my daughter or I are not hunting with it, I swap out the scope for an Aimpoint and LMT sights.

Five shots with 77 gr TMKs at 100 yds:

View attachment 599919

Doe at 230+ yards with a 77 gr TMK:

View attachment 599920

Coyote with a 77 gr. TMK:

View attachment 599926
What is the quality of the new Noveskes? A Noveske was the first ar15 that I purchased over a decade ago. Sold it for double during the pandemic and now missing it.

BAKPAKR

WKR
What is the quality of the new Noveskes? A Noveske was the first ar15 that I purchased over a decade ago. Sold it for double during the pandemic and now missing it.

I am not sure what the current quality is. I got this one shortly after John passed away, so close to the time you got yours.