Ontario Moose Question

Hey guys my cousin is currently on a moose hunt outside of Wawa/Hawk Junction. So far they haven’t seen anything but stumbled upon a bull that looks like it was either sick or killed by another bull. From the pics I’ve seen it’s pretty well decomposed at this point but the antlers are flawless. If he doesn’t tag out, is he allowed to take the skull home and punch his tag on it? The owner of the outfit is unsure about the regs on something like this as he’s somewhat new to Ontario hunting. My only thought was punching a tag without any meat (wanton waste) might raise some red flags, but figured if he had enough photographic documentation, he might be okay. He’d be transporting it back to Michigan if that helps/changes anything. I tried looking through Ontario's regulations but I didn't see anything that really answered the question on deadheads.

Today is his last day hunting so it's time's running out.

Thanks in advance!

Pgidley

FNG
They can call the local district office at 705-856-2396 and ask to speak to an enforcement officer or an IRM tech. They'll likely get a letter giving them the OK to possess it. Shouldn't be an issue, I wouldn't bother applying the tag, but might be worth having a chat with a CO to avoid any issues crossing the border. I've got a huge bull hanging on my wall that my great-uncle pulled out of a swamp after ice-out in the spring.

OP
coloyooper
They can call the local district office at 705-856-2396 and ask to speak to an enforcement officer or an IRM tech. They'll likely get a letter giving them the OK to possess it. Shouldn't be an issue, I wouldn't bother applying the tag, but might be worth having a chat with a CO to avoid any issues crossing the border. I've got a huge bull hanging on my wall that my great-uncle pulled out of a swamp after ice-out in the spring.

Thank you!