Opinions on First Lite Clothing

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good day everyone. So I wanted to reach out to those in this forum to discuss First Lite gear. So I live in Northern Alabama so a lot of the hunting I do is from a tree stand. I occasionally partake in Elk hunts in New Mexico so if I am looking into different clothing I try to find something that can transition between both hunting situations. Not saying you can get a perfect match but you can get close. I currently use Sitka and I really do like their product. Very expensive but I like it. I have been thinking of ordering a few pieces of First Lite just to see how the product fits, feels and performs. Now unfortunately I don't order any pants from any of the vendors listed here because I am a very odd body size and the pants will not work for me unless I have them altered and there is just something about altering pants that cost hundreds of dollars. Now I am not here to get into the debate about the different camo patterns or not needing camo at all etc. I am just looking for opinions based on peoples experience while using the gear, things like customer service, integrity of the product, etc. Thanks for your input.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
ok. so how do they usually size? like if I typically wear an xl in my everyday shirts will I need to upsize? how does the clothing perform in cold conditions, does the jackets or vests restrict movement or do they bend in all the right places? what about moisture wicking properties etc. if I think of more I will ask

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
how is their return policy and quickness of their returns, etc. I am not sure what will and will not fit and there are no stores around here that carry first lite so just have to order, try on and send back if don't fit or I don't like.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok. so how do they usually size? like if I typically wear an xl in my everyday shirts will I need to upsize? how does the clothing perform in cold conditions, does the jackets or vests restrict movement or do they bend in all the right places? what about moisture wicking properties etc. if I think of more I will ask

FL is among what I'd consider top tier company's for clothing. Sitka, Kuiu and First Lite are what I consider the top 3. Like Kuiu they are a direct-to-consumer so they will not be in box stores like Sitka will. You are going to get good materials, most are 4 way stretch so movement isn't an issue. Typically in Sitka like you have noticed, you need to size up and same goes with Kuiu. In my experience with FL you don't need to size up, it's more of a true fit inline with your day to day clothing. FL specifically is the kind of merino wool in my mind. I've worn merino from all the big brands and FL does the best job in my opinion. Cold weather performance is going to do a lot with the way you are layering to control the chill. FL uses merino next to skin layers and the properties of merino wool are pretty unmatched in my opinion, they wick moisture well and they still retain some heat when wet. The only downside is they don't dry as quickly as a synthetic base layer like Sitka would have. Comparing Sitka and FL, they both are comparing apples to apples in my mind.. they both have their super solid pieces and some that the other does a little better. Best advice is to order up a couple pieces and try them out... below you'll find their return policy from their website. They're a fairly small company with good customer service, swapping sizes isn't going to be an issue.

https://www.firstlite.com/pages/warranty-and-return-information

First lite is great. I own more Sitka at this point but all my FL stuff is great.

Sizing - I would say they are true to size. Some stuff is cut a little slim. Roughly on par with Sitka. I am 6’3” 250#. Wear a 50 coat and 38 jeans. I am a XXl in there tops and XL in pants.

Service - they are great. Call them if you have questions. Very knowledgeable and responsive.

Quality - their gear is top notch. A few of their earlier pieces - kanab pants - had some design issues but they are on the 2-3rd generation of most of their designs and they have hammered out any flaws IMO. I think there wool items are some of the best in the business.

Some of my favorites:

- Solitude jacket and bib - not quite as sophisticated as the sitka fanatic but a hell of a stand hunting rig
- kanab pants - (now the obsidian) feel like pajamas But can take a beating
- catalyst soft shell jacket - breaths very well, love the hood
- uncomphagre - this thing is in my pack or on my back more than any other puffy I own.
- tundra balaclava - it is like someone is giving your head a warm and fuzzy hug.

Joelweb

FNG
Great gear. As far as sizing goes, I wear a large or medium jacket in FL. I wear an XL in Sitka. Pant sizes seem similar across brands.

swampokie

WKR
The pants r VERY short and tops r Very large. Kuiu pants are just right in length but BABY GAP sizes in tops and jackets. Not sure about sitka as I haven't ever had enuff money to try them yet. I absolutely love first lite but the "tall" pants being 33" or 34" is an issue. Im only 5'11" and I look like huk finn with the kanabs on! The quality seems to be great on everything first lite makes outside of issues I had with the front main zippers on the Woodbury. Overall good quality but LARGE and SHORT. I also dont care much for fusion or cipher and probly wont buy anymore new first lite unless a new pattern is unveiled now that asat has been dropped.

Not Vegan

FNG
Ok for size of say it's true. But best way to know is to find somone in the same size AND shape as you with experience. I'm 5'11 at 155lb, a medium fits me damn good in pants and shirts. I will tell you I go the same size in every layer and they all fit together great. As for warmth I think FL is really ment for a hunter on the move and for this they are top notch. Everything they have breathes and that is the only thing I hate. No windproof is a big deal to me. I hunt in minus 0 and need to kill the wind. The sanctuary is quiet and warm but for late season it really is missing a big piece of the stay warm puzzle. With that said everything they make I can move in with no restriction at all and everything is quiet, even the Uncompuffy is pretty quiet. Not to metion the camo is in my opinion best out there.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
First lite is great gear. I own a lot of clothing from the big 3 (Sitka, Kuiu, and FL). First lite has the best true to size tops and jackets out of all of them by far. For pants the Kuiu and Sitka are nicer because they are true to waist size where a lot of the Firstlite pants are just in the basic M, L, XL sizing

You mentioned tree stand hunting is your main focus. I’d say firstlite is a great choice for that application. Their base layers are my favorite and their bibs are my new favorite for cold tree stand hunting for sure. They have lots of really nice quiet options for tree stand hunting.

If you reply with your normal hunting temps I could give you some examples of some kits that would work well for you.

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to note about first lite is that if you wear a medium top you can order all layers in medium and they will fit together no need to size up from base layer to insulation layer to outer layer. Also, their merino wool seems to be superior.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
ok so here is the thing. I don't think there is anyone that is around my size. haha . I am 5foot 6 about 225. I need an inseam of 28in and waist of about 38-40. my chest measures close to a 50. yes I am a tree stump. blame it on football. haha and I have the wing span of someone who is like 6foot 2. can we say ape man

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
So mxgsfmdpx. early bow season starts on oct 15 here which can still have days in the 70s with mornings maybe in the 40s. We have even had days in December where it was 70 degrees so it can fluctuate greatly. our season goes from oct 15 to feb 10. temps can fluctuate from 70s to 40s in the afternoon to teens - 30s in the mornings. they vary so I just have to be ready for whatever and don't forget the humidity.

You will need to find a tailor to get your clothes to fit right with stats like that.

I would use the solitude system for the colder days and mix and match fuse (tops and bottoms), klamath and uncompahgre vest. You would just need an outer layer pant for the warmer days and that would be the obsidian for me - as long as you aren't in places that destroy clothes easy.

The wick stuff is great in for the really hot days so you may want to get a set of them as well.

If you stay warm easy then the Catalyst System is great and you could use the same layers as above. For me though, even with those layers, the Catayst only gets me down to maybe high thirties.

Ddog

WKR
Most of the sleeve lengths run a little long for me, so that should be a plus with your long arms. Check out the reviews on the FL website, a lot of people list their size/weight so you can compare.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

I'm 6'-1", 260, 32" inseam, 40" waist and in north MS. Here are some pieces of FL gear that I have.

2XL Kiln: Perfect fit (snug) for a baselayer, great mid-weight base layer.

2XL Klamath: Snug fit. Sleeves are little long. Like it a lot, wear it on almost ever hunt. Not the warmest shirt though and not very wind resistant.

2XL Woodbury (discontinued): My favorite FL piece. Great fitting coat. Plenty of room for layering underneath. Very warm without a lot of bulk. Hate hoods in general but absolutely love the hood on this coat and safety harness pass through. Very comfortable. Dead slient. Does not restrict movement. If the temp is 50 or below, it's always with me as my outer layer. I've used it down to 15 degrees by layering underneath it. However, I don't think the new Solitude has quiet as much insulation.

2XL Solitude bibs: Fit is a little tight in my waist/belly area but not uncomfortable or restricting and I'm still abel to layer underneath them. Fit is pefect everywhere else. Great bibs. Perfect for the weather I hunt in. I used them this season down to 18 or so degrees, with a mid-weight base layer and a Browning Backcountry pant underneath.

Merino Tag Cuff Bennie: Awesome! Never hunt without it.

Mid Weight Neck Gaiter: Awesome! Wear it almost everytime I'm in the woods.

Tundra Baraclava: Bought it for long ATV rides in the cold. Rarely use it; I prefer the tag cuff gaiter combo and then adding the Woodbury hood when necessary.

Talus Full Finger Gloves: Good gloves. Excellent dexterity, snug fit, touch fingers that work. They aren't very durable or the warmest gloves, but they work well for tree stand use in conjunction with a muff.

Anyway, I'm a FL fan and will be adding additional pieces next season for sure.

For me first lite has extremely inconsistent and ever evolving sizing. I’ve worn anything from a 2XL to a medium in the same layer between now and 2011. Haven’t varied more than 5 pounds on my end. Fit tends to be more boxy and less fitted so I tend toward sizing down where KUIU and first lite are true to size. I’m 6’1” with broad shoulders and weigh 215 with a 35” measured waist. I AM NOT a MEDIUM in any clothing except first lite pants and shirts. I’ve also talked to them many times about specific items that just don’t work for a lot of people and they act like it’s the first time they ever heard it. Both gaiters are made for little kid legs, their socks might be nice but they refuse to make more than two sizes so a bigger foot can fit in the sock. Overall I like first lite as a company but their reluctance to fix known issues, inconsistent sizing and unwillingness to try other known advantageous features on pieces just annoys me. If there is an equivalent item from another company I’m going to look at the other item first.

I prefer First lite over kuiu mainly because of customer service . I feel like the FL sizing runs fairly true to size on most items except the sleeves , they are too long in my personal experiences. FL merino feels better against my skin compared to kiuiu, ymmv.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
I like FL and wear their stuff a lot, downside in my experience is all of my merino wool products got holes or tears starting at the seams after a single season. Two pairs of underwear, multiple pairs of socks, sawtooth jacket, long sleeve shirt. Haven’t had that issue with Sitka synthetics but I realize merino is not as durable.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like FL and wear their stuff a lot, downside in my experience is all of my merino wool products got holes or tears starting at the seams after a single season. Two pairs of underwear, multiple pairs of socks, sawtooth jacket, long sleeve shirt. Haven’t had that issue with Sitka synthetics but I realize merino is not as durable.

Have you tried their newer blends of merino shirts? The durability got better with those for sure.