Ordered Kuiu - not impressed

I have no idea why people are so “offended” by someone asking questions about a product In a forum setting. Do they have an ownership interest or are they just die hard fans? I know they are a very good company. Otherwise, they would not have gotten this far. I owned a decent size manufacturing company in the hunting industry for over 20 years, and never once did I get upset over anything on the net. But, to answer your question - yes I did talk to them twice. First, when I placed the order over the phone and asked for THEIR recommendations for my hunt. They screwed up taking the order - end of story. Maybe it has never happened before in the history of the Company. I have no idea, and as posted above “no harm no foul”. All I am trying to do is find a few pieces to try. The second time, I called they were very nice and just said to send the items back for a refund and/or exchange. So lets stop acting like I am trashing the God Parents to your children please.

Here are my remaining questions. Forget about size and quality control. Are the two best tops to try for warm weather hunting the Peloton 118 and light wool shirt? I had not thought about the wool getting softer or itching less after washed. If it does, I am certainly getting a long sleeve wool shirt. It seems to me like the Tiburon zip top is likely too warm for hunting in the heat of September? If you have experience please let me know.

Next, I am keeping one pair of Tiburon pants and one pair of the Kutana pants. The Kutana is a little heavier, but with the side vents ( which is a GREAT feature I had side zippers installed in my hunting pants by local tailor 20 plus years ago ), I doubt the Kutana will be much warmer to wear than the Tiburon. Am I wrong?

Hey man, sorry sounds like I came off the wrong way..... I'm not "offended" by your post, just merely bringing up the fact that it might help to contact them before throwing it out there on the internet. Even if it's a company I don't like, I think it's good for people to give them a chance to fix things before making it public information.... Even if it was first lite, sitka or kryptek I would say the same thing....

I don't have interest in arguing with someone online that I'd probably get along with great in person. I hope the rest of your experiences with kuiu or any other clothing company you choose are great and I hope you have a great hunting season and knock down a big buck or bull or whatever you're hunting!!! There's too much hate in the world to argue with guys that share the same passions....

i found there sizing guide pretty good. my first few orders i winged it and got some tight fits. if you click on the sizing guide and follow it its been much better than going by what i normally wear.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
I didn’t really notice a difference after washing but before washing they felt pretty comfortable and soft to me. I’ve probably washed mine 10 times now and still looks new and I wear it a bunch before I wash it as well. If I sweat it out or something I just let it dry and then rewear it. I do not hang dry it because I’ve read if you hang dry them they will stretch but I do not know if it is true because I only dry them laying flat wether it is after washing or after sweating in it.

Honestly, as far as what to wear when it’s hot I like the ultra tiburon hybrid zip shirt. It’s long sleeve and breathes very good, seems to dry quick. I’ve been wearing it in the heat here in Texas (90-100) and it does the best out of anything I have but I have not tried just the synthetic like the peleton 118, which is probably what I will try next or the Sitka synthetic. The merino short-sleeve shirt is ok in the heat but I sweat bad in it and does not protect my arms from the sun, no way I would wear a long-sleeve merino shirt in the heat (me personally).

I did not buy the merino shirt or the tiburon shirt for the Texas heat but for September Colorado elk hunting, so I think for elk hunting they will be ideal but for 90-100 nothing is going to work great.

Thanks that is a very good and helpful response. My wife thinks I am nuts, for wearing this stuff around the house. But, my thought process is that if you are not comfortable lounging around in them in the evening there is not way they are going to work in the heat.

You are spot on nothing is going to be ideal for 90-100 degrees other than a 30-40 degree drop in temperature and a cold drink!

Stroke250

Lil-Rokslider
I just received my Peloton 240 full zip and it is true to size. I wear a large and that is what I ordered.

Thanks that is a very good and helpful response. My wife thinks I am nuts, for wearing this stuff around the house. But, my thought process is that if you are not comfortable lounging around in them in the evening there is not way they are going to work in the heat.

You are spot on nothing is going to be ideal for 90-100 degrees other than a 30-40 degree drop in temperature and a cold drink!

I wear my stuff all the time whether it’s in the house or out and around. In fact I wore my attack pants and FL short-sleeve merino top today for work because I like the comfort of all of it. By the way 101 today here, would have rather had on my tiburon pants today but wore them Monday and didn’t want people to know I rewear my clothes without washing.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been wearing it since the first release I think 8 yrs ago never had to return a single item and still wearing some of the original set I bought..maybe lucky everything fits and have enjoyed the use of their gear for years.

Beendare

WKR
For the record, I am not attempting to trash the company.

Got it.

FOR THE RECORD.....I would have made my comment whether it was Under Armor, Sitka gear...or Ford or Chevy....

Guys that whine about tiny issues when the majority of us know these are darn good companies...are just that.....

________

JG358

WKR
Cant speak on any of their new stuff but my first gen Kuiu gear is still going strong. If ones biggest complaint is sizing/not knowing what size fits you for that line, I'd say they're doing pretty darn good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
I am 5’10,175,32” waist. Every pant, shirt and jacket I’ve bought from kuiu has been spot on. I did not have to size up on anything. medium shirts, large jackets, and large rain gear.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
My biggest gripe has nothing to do with the fit. I was shocked at how different the material was for the Tiburon solid pants versus the Tiburon camo pants. It was not even close. The solid appeared to be a synthetic blend and the camo appeared to be darn near cotton.

Can you snap a few photos? tiburon pants should be all made with the same dot air fabric from Toray regardless of color.

Been buying and using Kuiu since it first came out and have great faith in it. While I‘m not ready to give up my Sika Jetstream jacket and vest, Kuiu is pretty much my go-to brand. Excellent for mountain hunting, innovative and useful designs, and as folks have already pointed out most of their stuff is much more durable than it appears at first glance.

While I don‘t like every line or fabric they carry, a few of my favorite pieces are the Peloton 240 hoodie, Attack Pants and both Yukon/Chugauch Raingear. Wore the Yukon in Alaska through a week of rain that would have drown a frog. After quite a few years of hard use the Chugauch finally failed on a sheep hunt and I was soaked for a week. Let Kuiu know - they asked me to send them in and they sent me out a new set - so they stand behind what they sell.

I‘ll also witness that there are sizing inconsistencies with Kuiu. Different pieces of Kuiu kit are sometimes not the same size or cut pattern. I’ve tried on the same size of different Kuiu lines at shows and sometimes find the fit or cut slightly different between the product lines. In fact, I love the Attack Pants and added a few additional pairs over the years - in the later years the size and cut is definitely slightly snugger than the older model - I still have the older pants which are definitely a fuller cut. Spoke with Kuiu customer service about it and they said they had gone to a more athletic cut. Since their customer base are generally not svelte 22 year olds it sounded more like an attempt to lower material costs. Now I religiously stop by their booth at shows and try on anything I might have an interest in so I’ll have a better idea of what’s going to fit - I also like to inspect and feel the material before buying. But sizing has been my only gripe after many years of hard field use of Kuiu gear - I’m sold.

Sizing is tricky for sure, read the reviews below each and every product. Many reviews state weight, height, and build and say their size that works. I always refer to the reviews like this and have good luck. Its also tough being built oddly as compared to the fit, leaner, semi muscular body that kuiu has designed their clothing around (IMO). That being said, i am 5' 9" about 190-195 around 10% bf. i am muscular, and my thighs are annoyingly large, along with a bubble butt to some degree as the ladies like to say. If its a top from kuiu im always an xl and i just deal with the bit if extra sleeve ( better than sweating out a large and feeling like im wrapped in plastic) waists are different no matter height.. im a 34 in kuiu and the thighs are tight, as expected, waist is slightly tight also. In attack pants the material is so comfortable i can deal with that a bit of wedge in the crouch. To each his own, spend a bit of money with kuiu, FL, and sitka and figure it out, yourself. No comment or critique will clarify the issue by itself like trying them on.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tiburon 1/4 zip top and I love it. I wore it a couple weeks ago on a 4 day backpacking trip and it breathes really well, kept the sun off and it dries faster than anything else I have. The weather was cloudy and cool highs of 75 or 80 so it might have been different if it was sunny and 80 or 90 but it worked great for me. I think mine is a 1.0 and the only complaint I have is the sleeves seem tight in the forearm area. I also really like my attack pants. I normally wear a 32x36 in jeans. I ordered 34T and they fit perfect. Can’t decide if I like them more or my FL obsidians

Spoonman

WKR
Ordered McDonald’s once, wasn’t impressed. The burger didn’t look like the picture. This is like Ford,Chevy, Dodge of the clothing world for hunters. The fit will be different for everyone, even if two people are very similar in size, but one has a shorter legs than the other. The Kutana pants clearly say they have a 35.5” inseam. My buddy has two pair, one being camo and one being solid color and they are the same exact fabric. He had the legs shortened as he’s only 5’8”. It’s clothing, not all of it fits like your run of the mill jeans.

sivart

WKR
Like boots, it depends on the person. Kuiu clothing tends to fit me perfectly. Sitka does not. I'm too big for sitka lg, and the xl pants and sleeves are too long for me. Kuiu large fits me like it's taylor made.

It's great to have options.

Sizing is tricky for sure, read the reviews below each and every product. Many reviews state weight, height, and build and say their size that works. I always refer to the reviews like this and have good luck. Its also tough being built oddly as compared to the fit, leaner, semi muscular body that kuiu has designed their clothing around (IMO). That being said, i am 5' 9" about 190-195 around 10% bf. i am muscular, and my thighs are annoyingly large, along with a bubble butt to some degree as the ladies like to say. If its a top from kuiu im always an xl and i just deal with the bit if extra sleeve ( better than sweating out a large and feeling like im wrapped in plastic) waists are different no matter height.. im a 34 in kuiu and the thighs are tight, as expected, waist is slightly tight also. In attack pants the material is so comfortable i can deal with that a bit of wedge in the crouch. To each his own, spend a bit of money with kuiu, FL, and sitka and figure it out, yourself. No comment or critique will clarify the issue by itself like trying them on.

I workout fairly regularly - run, lift weights, etc, and have been doing that most of my life. Not an athlete by any means, but certainly not a portly couch-potato either. I‘ve always fit well in just about every shirt or jacket sized in a true American XL (46-48). But I’m at least a XXL in Kuiu. For example, I love the Kuiu Guide Jacket but it just doesn’t fit me. It is just too tight in the chest/shoulders - as a Bowhunter this constricts and messes up my shooting form. Had a bigger friend who wears Kuiu XXXL - tried it on but it was just ridiculous in the waist. So, I abandoned the Guide Jacket as a hunting piece. Had a Sitka Jetstream Vest that I love and tried on their Jacket - loved it from the start. The XL just fit me (much fuller cut in the chest and shoulders) and the XXL was perfect for Bowhunting and layering. Bought it on the spot and haven’t looked back. Still love Kuiu and will continue to try and buy the designs I like that fit me. But I’ve given up on trying to find the right size on Kuiu cut patterns that just don’t fit me. I’ll say it again - folks I see decked-out in Kuiu gear are generally not svelte 25 year old athletes with <10%BF and washboard abs.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Can you snap a few photos? tiburon pants should be all made with the same dot air fabric from Toray regardless of color.

Sorry the items I did not keep were shipped back yesterday. No photos at this point. I ended up keeping two pair of pants (Tiburon and Kutana), two of the Tiburon Zip shirts in two different camo patterns and one Peloton 118 shirt. I would like to have another 118 in the green and black camo (name escapes me now maybe Verde), but they are out until September.

What a strange thread, went from not impressed to keeping a bunch.

Anyways, I've got a few pieces in both solids and camo colorways, including Tiburon shorts and pants, and they are all the same fabric. I have not purchased any Tiburon since...summer of 2019 I think, so maybe they made a change.

Kuiu has always run long-legged and small-waisted though.