Otter Attack!

IdahoElk

WKR
All the times I've had Otters swim by while stream fishing I was never worried about them, this is crazy!

DaleW

WKR
Yeah most people have no idea how predatory they are. They've been known to raid beaver dams and kill entire families of beavers. But of course the general public thinks wild animals are all cute and cuddly...

7mm-08

WKR
Members of the weasel family are nothing to dismiss. I understand unprovoked attacks are rare, but, obviously, not unheard-of. Those otters bit the crap out of those women for sure! Wow!!!

I was duck hunting in my kayak last year and had a whole family of otters come right up to me. My lab was in the kayak with me and was going ballistic. Glad she didn't jump in after them as I was really worried they would mess her up. The otters kept coming up to us for like 10 minutes and I kept having to swing the paddle at them. It was kind of a cool experience but I was worried about my dog.

Axlrod

WKR
On that same river (the Jefferson) about 15 years ago my niece's father was in a canoe, and an otter jumped in and attacked him. He was hospitalized a couple days.

Been trapping for years . Otter is one of the most under-rated mean machines out there . They are pure muscle ," snakey", quick and have some nasty teeth with jaw muscles to back it up. I dont think a black bear would mess with one wandering around a beaver dam looking beaver to kill . Beautiful and durable fur though

I was fishing the Henry’s fork a couple years ago, 4 or 5 otters came by swimming up river. I was surprised by their size, I’d never seen them in the wild before. Wouldn’t want to wrassle one that’s for sure. But about 2 hours later I caught the biggest brown of my life.

Last edited:

49ereric

WKR
My dog took after an otter long ago and came back quickly after the otter tried to bite.
the otter never stopped during short encounter.

I've encountered many bumming around N Idaho and NW MT. I think they're amazing. I have a high drive Drahthaar. We found one "land locked" in a .25 acre pool on Lake Roosevelt. I believe in my dog. But it was time to leash the dog and move on. If you think a boar coon on your dog's head can cause issues.....I want no part of a boar Otter in water with a dog. Especially if it's over a dogs head.

Still floored one can't grab one of the SOB and choke the shit out of it in short order vs losing a face.

Now we have Otter Attack protocol.....

hobbes

WKR
They barely have a neck, no way in heck your hanging on and choking it. :) Id like to think that I could at least launch the tasmanian bastard out of the boat but would prefer not to test that theory.

Sevens

WKR
Feel like lots of folks think they’re cute and cuddly (just like bears).

There is an exhibit at the San Diego zoo where there is a moat with otters surrounding an island with monkeys on it. The monkeys have trees and such to climb on over the water. Anyway, wife and I walk up on the exhibit and find there is a lot of commotion around it. Peering in, there is a baby monkey the otters had gotten ahold of and are “playing” with it by continuously pulling it under the water. Adult monkeys are going ape-sh*t and the tourists are very upset about seeing nature in action. A younger fella decides to be a hero and jumps into the enclosure to save the monkey, which he successfully does by providing a new distraction to the otters, who now decide to attack the kid. Kid tries to get out of the enclosure, realizing the wall is too high, some other folks have to reach over to grab his arms and pull him to safety.

Made for a very exciting event. A keeper walked by a little later and I hear her over her walkie talkie say, “yeah, looks like there was some commotion at the otter exhibit.”