Outdoor Vitals Ventus Active Hoodie Review

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The nice Gents from Rokslide and Outdoor Vitals have gotten me a Ventus Active Hoodie to review.

Details/specs from the manufacturer here:

https://outdoorvitals.com/products/ventus-hoodie?_pos=1&_sid=f971aacc5&_ss=r

I've only had it two days, but so far so good. I will mention at the onset, that the sizing (for me) is off a full size, had to send back a Large for an XL- if I would have looked through the reviews on their site, I probably could have saved the extra shipping.

This jacket is light, the lightest mid-layer I've tested to date- 8.4 oz (XL) on my scale- that's uber light! :D

I'll be bringing it along on a week long backpack trip in Arizona coming up very quickly; should see a lot of wear time.

Today- 28 degrees, 5-8 mph wind and snowing very steady.

***Update 6/18/23*** Outdoor Vitals Ventus Active Hoodie Review

C4BcEuc.jpg

Benjblt

WKR
The nice Gents from Rokslide and Outdoor Vitals have gotten me a Ventus Active Hoodie to review.

Details/specs from the manufacturer here:

https://outdoorvitals.com/products/ventus-hoodie?_pos=1&_sid=f971aacc5&_ss=r

I've only had it two days, but so far so good. I will mention at the onset, that the sizing (for me) is off a full size, had to send back a Large for an XL- if I would have looked through the reviews on their site, I probably could have saved the extra shipping.

This jacket is light, the lightest mid-layer I've tested to date- 8.4 oz (XL) on my scale- that's uber light! :D

I'll be bringing it along on a week long backpack trip in Arizona coming up very quickly; should see a lot of wear time.

Today- 28 degrees, 5-8 mph wind and snowing very steady.

C4BcEuc.jpg
I've been interested in this for a while. I'd like to know how it compares to other midlayers.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
got to use the jacket quite a bit last week backpacking in the Mazatzal Wilderness; finding very good warmth for weight :)

aMal6VX.jpg

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Yup :)

As one further note, took mine as my only insulating layer on a recent peak bag overnighter- lows the next morning around 40 and was plenty comfortable around camp.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Great review! I may look at picking one up for a warmer weather insulating layer if needed.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How would you compare it against the midlayers you tested in your shootout?

It’s kind of like a Cirque Lite Lite :). Uses the same basic construction (two layers with an insulation layer sandwiched between), but with a lighter insulation.

I’d say the DWR finish is on par with the Ambient and Cirque. It sheds wind well due in large part to its inner/outer fabric.

It’s probably a little warmer than the OR Vigor, less warm than the Origin, Ambient and Cirque Lite.

I didn’t get to do the wet base layer test, but it breathes pretty well. The perforated holes under the arms no doubt help in that regard.

I think for earlier season (and summer backpacking) it would be viable option.

Stocky

FNG
Interested in this and the Vario as compared to the Sitka Ambient hoodie. Wondering how much difference in breathability and warmth. Another piece to look at

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haven't tried the Vario, but by the description appears to be a warmer version of the Ventus (double the insulation) (w/ full zip and pockets). Doesn't look like the Vario gets the perforated underarms that the Ventus has.

Neither will breathe quite as well as the Ambient due to their construction (2 layers of fabric sandwiching a layer of insulation), but the wind resistance will be better w/ the OV jackets.

Warmth if I had to guess is that the Vario would be in the ballpark with the Ambient, possibly a little warmer???? Definitely warmer with wind.

I'm guessing the Vario has the same DWR as the Vario, which would put it on par w/ the Ambient as far as light precip protection

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Ventus and Vario. Both have identical perforated armpits; I wish the Vario didn’t. The Vario has replaced my down puffy for any adventure that I think has a chance at being really wet. The Ventus is a great “second mid layer” over a grid fleece when it’s brutal cold. I don’t really like the performance of the Ventus as my only layer over my base, I only use it if it’s going over a grid fleece and it’s very cold.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have the Ventus and Vario. Both have identical perforated armpits; I wish the Vario didn’t. The Vario has replaced my down puffy for any adventure that I think has a chance at being really wet. The Ventus is a great “second mid layer” over a grid fleece when it’s brutal cold. I don’t really like the performance of the Ventus as my only layer over my base, I only use it if it’s going over a grid fleece and it’s very cold.

Base Layer, grid fleece, Ventus?

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Base Layer, grid fleece, Ventus?
Correct. But the only time I really used that combo extensively was on a 9-day November mule deer hunt last year and it was down in the negatives each morning and constantly 10-20 mph winds. If you were dealing with temps much warmer than that, the Ventus wouldn’t really have a place in my kit because it’s a quarter zip and you’d be taking the bino harness on and off all the time to adjust layering. That 3-layer combo is very warm for the weight. I would never substitute the Ventus for a stand-alone grid fleece.

Interested in this and the Vario as compared to the Sitka Ambient hoodie. Wondering how much difference in breathability and warmth. Another piece to look at

@mtwarden hit the nail on the head with breathability between each piece. I found the perforations to not do much by way of breathability for me on high output pushes, however. One thing I would add is they both were excellent in wind when I used them. Sure, if you raise your arms, the cold air will slip through and give you a chill. But, non-issue otherwise.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'll be that is a warm combo!

I'm afraid I might have to size up two sizes to get a base layer and what I use for a grid fleece (Sitka Heavyweight) under the Ventus.

If I was in charge of making jackets, everything would be full zip :D

twall13

WKR
If I was in charge of making jackets, everything would be full zip :D

I don't know why I find that funny coming from a weight weenie like you. You're the one who convinced me I didn't need full leg zips on my Nunatak puffy pants, haha

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk