Overrated Gear

My biggest disappointment gear wise that I can recall is the kryptek takur rain gear… complete waste of money, lots of annoying design flaws, and didn’t serve it’s one purpose… keeping me dry

After a few days wearing it, I was getting soaked, they pinhole out with very little exposure to brush… tie for the worst rain gear I have owned which was Sitka downpour.. stormfront lite wasn’t much better, but better than the downpour or takur.

I’m sure there are others, but the takur is fresh on my mind and very disappointing reading a lot of positive reviews on it… I don’t trust any rain gear reviews unless it’s from someone who hunts a lot on the Oregon/Washington coast or SE AK, there aren’t many who beat up rain gear applicable to me

kpbrown31

FNG
FL Uncompaghre jacket. I have it in the solid grey color so I wear it around town and camping. I thought it'd be a puffy replacement, boy was I wrong. It has very little insulating value.
The original or the 2.0? Because I am planning to buy the 2.0 lol.

dmozer74

FNG
What is the cheap alternative you’d compare it to?
I have a helinox chair one. I’d never consider an alternative. It weighs very little, is very comfortable and is dead to nuts reliable. You can get cheaper chairs but they’ll either be much heavier, less reliable or both. If you want a lightweight backcountry/backpacking chair you can’t do better than the Helinox.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Honestly the vast majority of the “hunting” brand clothing. It works for some guys but I found after spending significant amounts of time in the field it doesn’t hold up.

Not to mention there is almost always a better quality clothing piece in a non hunting brand. If you want some ideas on this and are looking to replace a certain piece feel free to PM me for a recommendation.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have a helinox chair one. I’d never consider an alternative. It weighs very little, is very comfortable and is dead to nuts reliable. You can get cheaper chairs but they’ll either be much heavier, less reliable or both. If you want a lightweight backcountry/backpacking chair you can’t do better than the Helinox.
Disagree here. The helinox has a terrible seat angle where my legs get the circulation cut off. It’s also nowhere near as stout as my Big Agnes Skyline chair and nowhere near as stable on rocky and sloped ground. The big Agnes is 8 ounces heavier but well worth the weight increase.

dmozer74

FNG
Disagree here. The helinox has a terrible seat angle where my legs get the circulation cut off. It’s also nowhere near as stout as my Big Agnes Skyline chair and nowhere near as stable on rocky and sloped ground. The big Agnes is 8 ounces heavier but well worth the weight increase.
Ideally the buyer would try both before buying. The helinox doesn’t cause issues for me at 6’ 185.

I’m starting to consider camp chairs as overrated. The last couple times I’ve brought them, I only sat down for ten minutes. At camp, I’m either messing with the fire, cooking, standing by the fire, or sleeping. Very little time am I actually sitting.

Anything from vortex
Vortex is overrated. Won’t buy anymore. Pieces falling off, scopes becoming fixed powers in the cold when you can’t turn them, and wasted time sending them back.

Only thing I can promise you is you will use the warranty to send all your Vortex stuff back. Hope it don’t fail on a hunt for you.

Can’t bring my self to even sell the stuff. Zeiss or Leupold for me.

Kostrize

WKR

The Big Agnes Skyline stool is also much better for glassing. Agree that it’s way more stable on slopes and the low back is money. Could never get the Helinox in a usable position that I could glass while leaning back anyway

Mine is a sun year. I bought last year on sale for less than $30. The chair is a little heavier but the fabric is thicker and the chair itself sits a little higher and feels a little sturdier. Also holds up to ashes a lot better than a helinox if using it around a campfire

I’ve become such an ultralight guy lately I’ll pay the extra $100 for a full pound less
Helinox zero: 1.2 lbs
Sunyear: 2.29 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk