Overrated Gear

Nearly any piece of hunting brand clothing. Look up whatever article of clothing you're looking for and there will be a non hunting brand that's cheaper and higher quality.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Completely agree with you. Anything anointed by the names Kuiu, Sitka, Eberlestok, Mystery Ranch, Swarovski, Browning, Kimber, Blazer, Weatherby, Tikka (etc, etc, etc) are totally overrated and certainly notworth the exaggerated cost.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Kuiu Attack pants. They take a very long time to dry once wet. They are also heavy.

The Quick-Stix tripod from Wiser Precision. The Quick-Stix are great. However, the tripod is not very stable, even with a light Kowa 554.

I have a Kuiu jacket as well as as a Sitka thunderhead jkt. Both wet out in heavy downpours. Both expensive and both highly overated. Got one from an ozzy company that has been awesome at half the price. Goretex will wet out sooner or later. The more breathability the less rain proof, which do you choose? Lots of hunting stuff is over the top. Binos are a classic example. I tried Leica Trinovids and Ultravids and couldn't see any significantly noticeable difference except when it came to price.

Last edited:

strongarm

FNG
The Big Agnes Skyline stool is also much better for glassing. Agree that it’s way more stable on slopes and the low back is money. Could never get the Helinox in a usable position that I could glass while leaning back anyway

Totally agree. I’ve tried several Helinox chairs and the weight can’t be beat. But durability in the field is a worry. I have the Big Agnes Skyline stool for glassing and the Big Six for base camp. The no-hub design is strong and simple. I’m taller and over 200#, no issues yet.

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with the Nemo Moonlight? Been eyeballing the Helinox Chair One and the Big Agnes Skyline when the Nemo popped up on my radar as a possiblity as well.

FNG
First Lite Vapour Storm Lite rain gear. Looks good, feels good. Failed day 1 of a 10 day sheep hunt in northern BC. Never again.

Seeknelk

WKR
Any boots that aren't Crispi Nevadas suck😁
Kidding but...
Any boots that don't fit ME ,suck.
Any clothing that doesn't work for me ,or fit me,.sucks.
Bringing any chair in the backcountry is crazy talk. What?! A chunk of foam pad and the good old world to sit on,.it's everywhere.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Completely agree with you. Anything anointed by the names Kuiu, Sitka, Eberlestok, Mystery Ranch, Swarovski, Browning, Kimber, Blazer, Weatherby, Tikka (etc, etc, etc) are totally overrated and certainly notworth the exaggerated cost.
Lol. Swarovski makes very little of their money from the hunting community. Throwing Tikka on that list is just crazy talk as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a Kuiu jacket as well as as a Sitka thunderhead jkt. Both wet out in heavy downpours. Both expensive and both highly overated. Got one from an ozzy company that has been awesome at half the price. Goretex will wet out sooner or later. The more breathability the less rain proof, which do you choose? Lots of hunting stuff is over the top. Binos are a classic example. I tried Leica Trinovids and Ultravids and couldn't see any significantly noticeable difference except when it came to price.
You can't really compare a brushed face Thunderhead jacket that's designed to be quiet, to normal rain gear. That quiet fabric is going to soak up water. It's designed for stand hunting a few hours at a time, and that's pretty much it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
My biggest disappointment gear wise that I can recall is the kryptek takur rain gear… complete waste of money, lots of annoying design flaws, and didn’t serve it’s one purpose… keeping me dry

After a few days wearing it, I was getting soaked, they pinhole out with very little exposure to brush… tie for the worst rain gear I have owned which was Sitka downpour.. stormfront lite wasn’t much better, but better than the downpour or takur.

I’m sure there are others, but the takur is fresh on my mind and very disappointing reading a lot of positive reviews on it… I don’t trust any rain gear reviews unless it’s from someone who hunts a lot on the Oregon/Washington coast or SE AK, there aren’t many who beat up rain gear applicable to me
Weird. My Takur gear is far better than anything Gore has ever made. What did you not like about the design of it? I've heard guys talking about the cut of the sleeves. Water beads and runs off mine like it's scared of it. Even my Tora pants bead water better than most other rain gear does. Sounds like you got a bad set. I certainly haven't had any pin hole type wetting through issues. I've been surprised on some of the stick pokes and snags it has taken where I thought for sure it was going to be ripped.

Seeknelk

WKR
lol now this is a good one... its literally like the worlds most expensive food... one day I realized I could buy a premium steak for the cost of that beef stroganoff (spelling?) so funny...dang you Mountain house!!
And here I think Peak refuel is gourmet in the backcountry and well work the cost for me! The chicken Alfredo and biscuits n gravy are actually dang good food even if your not on the mountain in my testing. It serves a purpose. Kinda hard to pack a ribeye or the fixings to make chicken Alfredo for each day but i might try it on my spring bear hunt and stash em in snow drift😁

Weird. My Takur gear is far better than anything Gore has ever made. What did you not like about the design of it? I've heard guys talking about the cut of the sleeves. Water beads and runs off mine like it's scared of it. Even my Tora pants bead water better than most other rain gear does. Sounds like you got a bad set. I certainly haven't had any pin hole type wetting through issues. I've been surprised on some of the stick pokes and snags it has taken where I thought for sure it was going to be ripped.

The first thing that didn’t make sense to me was the zipper pulls that are either too small or the ones that aren’t make you sound like jingle bells… seems like whoever designed the zipper scenario doesn’t hunt in rain gear… I had to cut the 3 big metal zipper pulls off the first day I hunted in it… that was stuff I could overlook… an annoyance

The big deal was it’s complete lack of durability, and in nasty weather, the side zips leaked pretty bad. I probably hunted 7 full days of bad weather before I swapped back to my wore out kuiu rain gear that kept me much more dry… the takur pinholed out really fast, and was basically like not wearing rain gear

The durability isn’t there for what I do, it was at the bottom of the barrel in that regard… not even briars, just salmonberry killed it fast

It’s very breathable, I will give it that, but that’s extremely low on my list of priorities for rain gear… pit zips and hip zips breath better than any membrane so I don’t care how breathable rain gear is… doesn’t matter to me, especially if the brush kills it fast

It was honestly the most disappointing piece of hunting clothes I have ever bought (the full set actually) I’m not even going to try to warranty it because I don’t want another set… I just moved on (still wearing my 2yr old kuiu kutana that still keeps me fairly dry)

I know many love it, and I’m glad, but it’s nearly worthless in the brush… in its defense, most is, I just had high hopes

I also didn’t care for the cut, but I can live with that… the durability is what I can’t live with… I hunt a lot of days that it’s raining all day, combined with the coast brush, there isn’t much in terms of good options for rain gear

Seeknelk

WKR
The first thing that didn’t make sense to me was the zipper pulls that are either too small or the ones that aren’t make you sound like jingle bells… seems like whoever designed the zipper scenario doesn’t hunt in rain gear… I had to cut the 3 big metal zipper pulls off the first day I hunted in it… that was stuff I could overlook… an annoyance

The big deal was it’s complete lack of durability, and in nasty weather, the side zips leaked pretty bad. I probably hunted 7 full days of bad weather before I swapped back to my wore out kuiu rain gear that kept me much more dry… the takur pinholed out really fast, and was basically like not wearing rain gear

The durability isn’t there for what I do, it was at the bottom of the barrel in that regard… not even briars, just salmonberry killed it fast

It’s very breathable, I will give it that, but that’s extremely low on my list of priorities for rain gear… pit zips and hip zips breath better than any membrane so I don’t care how breathable rain gear is… doesn’t matter to me, especially if the brush kills it fast

It was honestly the most disappointing piece of hunting clothes I have ever bought (the full set actually) I’m not even going to try to warranty it because I don’t want another set… I just moved on (still wearing my 2yr old kuiu kutana that still keeps me fairly dry)

I know many love it, and I’m glad, but it’s nearly worthless in the brush… in its defense, most is, I just had high hopes

I also didn’t care for the cut, but I can live with that… the durability is what I can’t live with… I hunt a lot of days that it’s raining all day, combined with the coast brush, there isn’t much in terms of good options for rain gear
If you don't like breathability and only want waterproof and tough get Helly Hansen or Grundens.

If you don't like breathability and only want waterproof and tough get Helly Hansen or Grundens.
There are far better options… I have hunted in grundens a lot, not a very good option for what I do

Lightweight gets tore up quick, and most lack vent zips

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
TP. Use a branch or be a real man and knife hand that s**t.

Jokes aside, I had really high hopes for the MagnetoSpeed chronograph. A lot of my friends swear by it, but I plan to sell mine ASAP.

P Carter

WKR
TP. Use a branch or be a real man and knife hand that s**t.

Jokes aside, I had really high hopes for the MagnetoSpeed chronograph. A lot of my friends swear by it, but I plan to sell mine ASAP.
Funny you mention this. When I was in my 20s working on a trail crew, I wouldn't bring, or use, TP for our 8-day hitches. Never crossed my mind. Used leaves, grass, or sometimes a correctly shaped rock. Snow patch was the absolute best option when available. Only after the other guys started giving me grief did I put some thought to it. I'm mostly a TP user now, though in the middle of some long runs I've reverted to old habits. In the middle of an ultra, I selected a pine cone and had to run over 20 miles with what felt like pine cone debris between the cheeks...