PAC boots?

Perrin713

FNG
Looking to finally grab a pair of pac boots for tree stand hunting in upstate NY. My toes are typically the first to get cold resulting in heading home. Recently ordered a pair of heated socks to help aid in keeping my toes warm. However, I’d like to add a pair of quality pac boots to my lineup. Torn between the Schnees and Hoffman lineups. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

peterk123

WKR
I have Hoffmans. They used to run 100 bucks less than schnees. Identical from what I could tell. My wife had schnees, only because they made one that was shall enough. Love my hoffmans. I use the thinsulate liners because they provide a better fit and I will hike in them.

Do you pack an extra pair of socks that you put on at the stand and do not hike in? That can help quite a bit.

Legend

WKR
For what it is worth PAC boots are not known to be the warmest option for stationary sits. That rubber looses heat.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ha
Looking to finally grab a pair of pac boots for tree stand hunting in upstate NY. My toes are typically the first to get cold resulting in heading home. Recently ordered a pair of heated socks to help aid in keeping my toes warm. However, I’d like to add a pair of quality pac boots to my lineup. Torn between the Schnees and Hoffman lineups. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Happy to answer any questions you might have. - Matt

Wrench

WKR
The two options you listed are great choices. I run Hoffman because they're local to me and proved to be superior to all of the White's other than old lacrosse shelled yukon survivors. Hoffman shells on my favorite pair are 10 plus years old and still zero cracks. Leather is what you expect from a custom boot maker.

HoffmanBoots

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I would look at the Hoffman Mountaineer Boot. For situations with little movement, you are going to want to stay with a 9mm felt liner. Thinsulate liners are better designed for more active use in cold temps. Felt liners will retain heat much better than Thinsulate. For what it's worth, we still make all of our uppers here in Idaho. From what I have heard, we are the only maker of pac style boots still doing this in the states. We do have a 15% off sale going right now also for the weekend.

Outlaw99

WKR
Hoffmans are the best Pacs I’ve ever owned. Great boots, and even better customer service

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would look at the Hoffman Mountaineer Boot. For situations with little movement, you are going to want to stay with a 9mm felt liner. Thinsulate liners are better designed for more active use in cold temps. Felt liners will retain heat much better than Thinsulate. For what it's worth, we still make all of our uppers here in Idaho. From what I have heard, we are the only maker of pac style boots still doing this in the states. We do have a 15% off sale going right now also for the weekend.
On the website it says "see below for lead times" then it says standard workup or expedited. I haven't seen what the standard build time is.i need something for keeping my feet warm on my quad and snowmobile on my wolf line.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I have Hoffman’s and they are great for sitting in a stand all day. Unless it’s below 30 out I just wear my everyday socks.
My feet used to be the first thing to go cold before I got pac boots.

yfarm

WKR
Had Hoffman replace the bottoms on a pr of Whites pacs. Fast turnaround, quality bottoms and work. Had cowboy bottoms before, went with cowboy again. Plenty of room for toe movement.

After using Kenetrec pacs for about 5 years, I bought a pair of Hoffman mountaineers last winter for more warmth. The Kenny's are great for active use, I've actually put a lot of miles on them chasing everything from late season antelope to Moose, but lose heat quick when sitting still (thinsulate liners) The Hoffmans with the felt liners are perfect for me for lower activity, my feet have not gotten cold in them, used them all winter for sledding in to remote spots to burn slash piles. There's definitely a place for both the felt and thinsulate liners. Hoffmans customer service is great!

DESERT ED

FNG
I have the Hoffman felt Voyager with the claw lug 14 inch. I ordered the 13 and they were tight so I got the 14. They’re a little big. Wore them for a few days in the deep snow building and they were great. The tall size is kind of a pain for me. I tuck my pants into the leather and not the liner. It just takes a little bit longer. Thinking about maybe getting the Schnee’s pull ons.
If you’re sitting still I would recommend the Micky Mouse boots.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
If you can, order both the Schnee’s and Hoffmans and decide for yourself. Return the ones you don’t like. The choice was clear for me about 10 seconds after taking them out of the box.

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
Hoffmans will never disappoint, top notch product and company. Customer service is outstanding! I love my Pacs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you'd be happy with either the Schnees of Hoffmans, both quality pacs that will last a lifetime. My Schnees are over thirty years old (thousands of miles)- resoled once and getting close for another, but still going strong.

They (Schnees) make an Extreme that is very warm, if you're mostly stand hunting might be worth looking at.

I’ve got a pair of the Cabela’s Trans-Alaskan PAC boots, and they are legit. My feet freeze, and I picked these up for ice fishing, and decided to try them for my still hunts deer hunting. They worked great, but don’t plan on walking anywhere in them, they’re the gommiest friggin things ever, but you won’t get cold.