Pack Advice

Lawnboi

WKR
If you are in the market for a 1 man tent, and are interested in used, feel free to pm me, iv got a MSR that sits around that I got for an absolute steal, ill pass the savings along with some more off for being used on if you so desire

Ill comment on rei too, if you need something but plan on upgrading its a good place to shop, you can return anything there

Watch the classifieds here too, lots of good stuff comes up!

This is the exact solo tent i have that i was referring to in my previous post. Agree 100% with (OR Archer) that this is a great bang for your buck tent. I have probably spent close to 100 nights in this tent in all types of weather over the past couple of years and never had an issue other than the cheapo tent spikes bending which is an easy fix.

grab this tent with MSR groundhogs and you'll be good to go!

Mike7

WKR
Agree with quality pack over shelter, but maybe you can have both on your budget?
1) Used Kifaru pack (anything 3,000-7,000 cu inches with a grabit as needed) --?$200-$450.
2) Bearpaw Wilderness Designs Luna 2 tarp --$175.
3) For a ground sheet get used Tyvek type wrap from the hardware store or lumbar yard that they remove from the wrapped lumber and then usually throw away --free.

bounds

WKR
You're getting a lot of good info, so I won't go too deep. Along the lines of what Aron said, I would try to get a new sleeping bag also. I took a less expensive sleeping bag to Colorado in September on my first elk hunt and slept miserably because I got cold every night. There are some good down bags that you can get good deals on. On the pack, if you don't go with a Kifaru or other pack in that price range, I would look really hard at the Arcteryx Bora. I got one last year and am very impressed with it. That pack is being discontinued this spring, so you should be able to find some good deals. Lots of lower priced shelter options out there. I've had a Zephyr from Alps Mountaineering for about 4 years and it has served it's purpose fine. You can get them for really cheap if you look around. Good luck!

cmeier117

WKR
I bought a Eberlestock destroyer for my first pack. Got it from Steve Speck off of sandsarchery.com. He has sales a couple times a year and I picked it up for $290 I think. Great pack! I then sold it and upgraded to a Kifaru Timberline. Best pack known to man. (okay the Duplex timberline I have is good too ;)) I would recommend the Eberlestock based on FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE if you are on a budget.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Thanks everyone. I have been looking at kifaru and I think I need to find a used for that price. Due to some unexpected events I can't put as much down as I hoped. I can now only spend 450 at most. Stupid 4wheel drive quit working.

Shrek

WKR
There is an EMR on Kifaru trading post. He has had it there for over a month now and has dropped it to 425 shipped. It is a huge pack but the frame can be used with another smaller bag. Might try a lowball offer and see. Get it right and sell the bag and find an old 5200 in. long hunter bag. The frame is bomb proof.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
There is an EMR on Kifaru trading post. He has had it there for over a month now and has dropped it to 425 shipped. It is a huge pack but the frame can be used with another smaller bag. Might try a lowball offer and see. Get it right and sell the bag and find an old 5200 in. long hunter bag. The frame is bomb proof.

Can the frame be used like the haulers on the website?

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Alright sweet. Now I am liking kifaru more and more. I just want a very versatile pack where I can shove gear in it and meat and have it comfortable. What's the best one for 3-5 day hunts that I could buy a new bag in the future to expand the volume.

Lawnboi

WKR
Another good thing about kifaru packs, that I really like myself, is the ability to add whatever pockets and add ons you would like. The modularity is awsome.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Another good thing about kifaru packs, that I really like myself, is the ability to add whatever pockets and add ons you would like. The modularity is awsome.

I do like the functionality of that feature. They seem like a way good pack. I will keep looking for a used one and maybe by that time I can afford a new haha.

I will be keeping in contact with you about the MSR too.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
If you are short like me (I'm 5'8") the blue widow is a great pack for the money. Spend sometime adjusting the harness and stays to fit you. Only complaint is with little meat on my hips after 3 days @ 50lbs + (first trip to the mountains and I took way more than needed) and 15 miles I had some discomfort and a bruise or 2 on my hips but never any of the burning shoulder feeling ( like I got from the old external frame ruck sack I had). As a day pack I don't even remember I have it on. I'm thinking about getting the wider more padded waist belt like on the destroyer. I've done a few simulation hikes (5miles or so with around 100lbs) you know it's there but it isn't unbearable. Buy the best you can and get out there the scenery alone will be worth any discomfort.

Floorguy

WKR
Instead of starting a different thread. Does anyone have any experience with the Eberlestock v90 battleship? I am trying to decide on a pack as well and am not sure whether or not to get it or a Kifaru T1. The only reason I wouldn't just throw down on the T1 is I have to get boots and a spotter for sheep next fall and since I work construction I don't know exactly what my budget is.

Romo

FNG
I have a Kifaru and Barney's, but if I were laying down 700 bones I'd look at a McHale's custom pack.

Timberline would be alright for sure. CAn't speak for the crew cab. Take a look at these stone glacier packs people are talking about as well. They should have a review up in mid february. As long as you don't need a pack right now, I would hold off until they give these a fair review. They look like a great pack.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
I have a horn hunter full curl system that can be yours for $200. Pm if interested.

Currently running a Kifaru DT3. An alternative to dropping a ton of money at once would be to get either MR, Kifaru or similar frame used then add either a load panel or hill people gear system and run stuff sacks sandwiched until the funds get available for a proper pack bag or pods.