pack insight

I know this has been a heavily covered topic but I am apprehensive on dropping big $ on a pack on my first backpacking trip. I usually don't bawk at prices but i'm not sure how much I will use it other than this trip. I saw a cheap camping trails frame pack online, debating on buying just the frame from one of the bigger brand names and adding a bag onto it. I would buy something used as well, I don't need the latest and greatest but also don't want to be miserable if the stars align. Hunting Colorado end of September. Thanks in advance.

gabenzeke

WKR
If you're only going once, I think you can get away with one of those old external frame packs from Cabela's or whatever. Just isn't going to be pleasant.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OP
S
I should add I definitely plan on elk hunting again regardless as I've been once (through a guide) and got bit by the bug. I just live in the midwest and would not be implementing this with my whitetail hunts.

Geewhiz

WKR
If you're only going once, I think you can get away with one of those old external frame packs from Cabela's or whatever. Just isn't going to be pleasant.

It will be perfectly pleasant if he doesnt know any better.

My opinion of course but I think it would be idiotic to purchase an 800 dollar pack for a single trip.

Not knowing what your budget is for a backpack, I would recommend keeping your eyes out for a used mystery ranch frame combined with whichever of their bags that suits your fancy. Seams like you can pick up a used mtecalf for around $300 or so. Thats a great pack.

gabenzeke

WKR
I should add I definitely plan on elk hunting again regardless as I've been once (through a guide) and got bit by the bug. I just live in the midwest and would not be implementing this with my whitetail hunts.
I'm in the Midwest too (Iowa). Just go elk hunting every year so you can justify getting a good one. That's what I do. :)

*zap*

WKR
Nice to posess good gear if you can swing it financially. Used is a great way to go, especially here. Like new stuff is sold every day.

OP
S
My budget ideally would be around $500 total all in. I've already dropped a lot of money on my first elk trip between footwear, optics, etc but it'll never be enough right? I do believe in buying right the first time....would prefer buying preowned nicer gear if possible. Thanks to all throwing responses in!

TaperPin

WKR
I‘d also vote for a used pack, but you have to get on that fits. You can probably find a rental pack - I’ll do a quick search. . .

$55 for two week rental of a large-ish 5000ish cubic inch pack.

I‘m sure it’s $100 with shipping to and from, but that’s still a bargain.

After your trip you’ll have a much better idea of what pack to buy if you go that route in the future.

Also, some REI stores rent gear.

*zap*

WKR
you can get a used MR for less than that. MR would be a good starter frame. E-z to set up for your body. Just make sure you get the correct size.

Buy a used one and sell it when you're done.

Better than that, couldn't you just borrow one? You're going to lose $70 in any buy and sell transaction in the shipping costs.

CJohnson

WKR
Pick up a used mystery ranch on here. I’ve had it for 4-5 years now and planned on upgrading at some point, but can’t really justify the cost. I have packed out an elk every year I’ve gone and it’s held up well.

OP
S
Where are you planning on being in Colorado? If you’re close you can use one of mine.
Not sure on exactly where yet but I thought my buddy said colorado springs area...will have to get back on that. A used one would be the right call, appreciate everyone's input.

tony

WKR
Is that everything I would need in a pack for a 7-10 day trip?
Can't say, its dependent on what you would pack. Could be a tight fit.
I have one, its a big center section that is open, 2 large pockets on the outside that could hold a spotter, has a bladder sleeve, 2 bottle pockets, could attach a bag to the bottom.
For the price its the same frame as the hunting line and you can get the bigger back they sell, Marshall maybe? This set up is half the price of a similar MR hunting pack.

Watch camo fire as well.

DanimalW

WKR
You could also buy a decent new pack, and just sell it after your hunt if you don’t think you’ll ever use it again. Like renting one for $150-200 (or whatever hit you take selling it used under cost).

chism717

FNG
Great thing about buying a good name brand used setup is, you more than likely won't lose much if any money if you decide to resell afterwards or upgrade at later date.

Watch camofire, ebay etc