Pack size for spiking out

Luked

WKR
Just trying to get some more ideas for a hunt. We are thinking we might take my camper and use it as a base camp and spike out for 2-3 days from there for our hunt in CO. What size pack would be best for a hunt lilt that to spike out with

Would 2000 be enough or would I be better off with something in the 3000ci range bee better

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Also what brands would you all suggest to look at with bags in that CI size

depends on the rest of you gear. id be looking hard at the kifaru nomad for that. whats your price range and how bulky is the rest of your gear.

gwl79902

WKR
I would get a used pack to see what you like. Pack hunting is like crack and you can spend a ton of money figuring out what you like. I would get a used REI internal frame pack and cheap synthetic bag and go from there. Another option is a Badlands 2200 pack. it will work for a light 2 day pack and be a good day pack too.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
The badlands 2200 is one I am leaning towards since they are pretty plentiful to buy used and I have had one before so know how it works and it's fit

jlsteel

FNG
The badlands 2200 is one I am leaning towards since they are pretty plentiful to buy used and I have had one before so know how it works and it's fit

Just be careful with some of the zipper. A couple of them broke on me pretty easily.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
After hearing and reading a lot about the zipper failures on the badlands packs I think I'm going to look for another brand. Thinking eberlestock but not sure which one to go with

bbrown

WKR
I had the X2 for a while and it was a good little pack - only rated at 1800CI but I swear it was bigger. I run a pretty minimalist set up and even with that there was no way spike out of the X2 without strapping stuff to the outside. It can be done but you WILL be making multiple trips to pack anything out.

Currently I am using the Timberline 2 bag or the Nomad on a Bikini frame and its a great set up.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I like the look and size of the team elk pack eberlestock has also but can't find a lot of info on ot

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
A bikini frame and Nomad would be a great choice.

If you're on a tighter budget, get a used Bora 80 for around $150.00
They are very well built and will last you a long time.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Possibly an exo 3500, looks like a pretty versatile pack and reasonably priced. You can't go wrong with any of the Kifaru bags mentioned but if money is the issue exo might be a good option

littlebuf

Banned
I don't consider the trip in nearly as much as I do the trip out. How much weight can you carry? If it's not much I guess any size pack you can get camp in will work. Me I like being able to take a fair amount of meat out with me

I had a Team Elk pack and sold it for a Horn Hunter Full Curl and later grabbed a HH MainBeam XL. The Team Elk felt great with minimal weight but as soon as I put any load greater than 30# it just didn't feel good. Fit was just off for me and it has no functional load lifters. Probably don't need both HH packs but think they are awesome budget minded solutions for beginning back country pack hunting.

The size of the pack really depends on how minimalist you want to go. Extremely minimalist you can get away with a 2000 ci easily. If you are bringing bigger bulkier gear / more food and water, you may need a bigger pack.

For me personally I would be looking at about a 3000 ci pack. I like to have a slight bit of extra room if needed and I can always compress any unused space down. If you don't have enough room inside the pack you end up strapping stuff to the outside which really throws off the balance of the pack and gives the feeling of being pulled backwards.

I would set out your gear that you plan to bring and then figure out how big of a pack you need based on that.

I take my 7500+ CI pack for all my hunts since I never know what I will stuff in there for the hike out. It's just a shade over 7 lbs compresses to the point I forget it's there when packing light. It can fit a deer, sheep or small black bear and knock a sizable dent in a moose or elk. I can't imagine knocking down an animal and having to walk all the way back to base camp to start hauling meat. My 2.5lb 2200ci ultralight pack does fine for summer scouting or couple day hiking trips but doesn't go hunting.

swmoelk

FNG
I'd go with a larger pack with a really good compression system. I have a 100 liter mountainsmith but I can cinch it down to nothing. It weighs a little over 5# but will haul 80 . Just make sure you can keep your load from shifting and practice different ways to pack it. Remember good is where you find it and no matter the name or price if it doesn't fit you it will be a miserable pack out.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 3000ci pack for spiking. I personally wouldn't go any smaller, but I don't own the smallest, lightest gear. The size works for me out until ~5 days; perfect for a long weekend hunt. Like most everyone else mentioned, it just depends on how much of a minimalist you are.

Luked,

I see your question all the time here and on other forums...how much space do I need for hunt of xx days at xxxxx thousand feet? Before you go looking at packs that other people suggest you need to FIRST see how much space your gear will take up. Everyone has different gear, some lightweight, some not so light, some ultralight. Once you know the volume your gear takes up you can then add the volume for you food and water. THEN you can decide what size pack you need.

Also, do you just want something to carry your gear, or are you planning on using it to carry out 50+ pounds of meat for the first trip?

And finally, make sure you get a pack that will fit your torso length. Two people the same height can have vastly different torso lengths and therefore a pack that fits one will not fit the other unless it is adjustable.

Larry