PayPal question

Ucsdryder

WKR
Does paypal have the ability to remove funds from someone’s linked checking account? Let’s say someone sold a gun through friends and family and paypal found out. Seller transferred funds from paypal account to checking account. Can paypal debit the checking account and freeze funds?

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure about personal accounts but a website client that I helped, had a guy dispute a donation that he made for 100 dollars. PayPal froze their entire checking account that was attached to it. I'm not sure what the terms of use say on it but I don't keep my bank account attached anymore.

def90

WKR
Does paypal have the ability to remove funds from someone’s linked checking account? Let’s say someone sold a gun through friends and family and paypal found out. Seller transferred funds from paypal account to checking account. Can paypal debit the checking account and freeze funds?

Yes, it has happened to people. PayPal can fine you for violating it's terms of service.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yes, it has happened to people. PayPal can fine you for violating it's terms of service.
So they can fine you by removing funds from your PayPal account or from your linked checking account? That’s my confusion.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'm not sure about personal accounts but a website client that I helped, had a guy dispute a donation that he made for 100 dollars. PayPal froze their entire checking account that was attached to it. I'm not sure what the terms of use say on it but I don't keep my bank account attached anymore.
Hmmm…I’ve considered opening a savings account with the minimum amount and linking it to PayPal. Sounds like it might not be a bad idea.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hmmm…I’ve considered opening a savings account with the minimum amount and linking it to PayPal. Sounds like it might not be a bad idea.
When I started using PP about two decades ago, I set up a separate bank account just for that. That's all it's for, and when I transfer money from PP to that account I pull it out of that account immediately.

tony

WKR
Many years ago, I set up a checking account just for PayPal. I then take the money from that account and move where I want to. A few extra steps, keeps PP from having access to all my money in my main accounts.

*zap*

WKR
It's not necessary to have a bank account linked to pp. Get a pp debit card and load it with cash when you need to. ymmv

Rich M

WKR
I don't have any accounts linked to my paypal. No way. Why would anyone give them an opportunity to freeze a bank account over some feel-good rules over a perfectly legal transaction?

Get a bluebird CC from walmart - put "$100" on it and use it like a real credit card. It is good for anywhere there might be an "issue".