PB, Bacon and Honey Sandwich Question

Those that make peanut butter, bacon & honey sandwiches (butthole sandwich) - Do you make the entire sandwich up before your trip and pack them in pre-made? I tried this a few years ago and by the second day the peanut butter & honey had been sort of absorbed by the bagel, making it stale and nasty. I packed the bagels in normal sandwich ziplocks, no vacuum sealing or anything.

Maybe I did it wrong, and I should bring individual packets of PB & honey and make a new sandwich up every day. How does everyone else do it?

CritterGetter

Lil-Rokslider
I take 7 bagels in the bag, 7 packs of Justin's almond and honey nut butter and a pack of pre-cooked bacon. I make mine as I need them basically.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Those that make peanut butter, bacon & honey sandwiches (butthole sandwich) - Do you make the entire sandwich up before your trip and pack them in pre-made? I tried this a few years ago and by the second day the peanut butter & honey had been sort of absorbed by the bagel, making it stale and nasty. I packed the bagels in normal sandwich ziplocks, no vacuum sealing or anything.

Maybe I did it wrong, and I should bring individual packets of PB & honey and make a new sandwich up every day. How does everyone else do it?

I make all of mine before hand. I've got 20 in the freezer now.
Then put in food saver bags and freeze. I use chunky peanut butter because I've noticed it doesn't melt as easy and doesn't absorb much. When in the food saver bags I've gone 5 days with them in my pack and no real issue at all.

WKR
Toast wheat bread pretty well, layer peanut butter, then honey, then bacon. Seems to work a little better if honey is trapped. They keep great and I am happy to have learned about them 3 years ago. Bagels may be worth trying though and maybe the tortillas as well. Like premade though so I don't have to mess with them in the field.

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
I've mixed up the peanut butter and honey ahead of time and put it in the coughlan's squeeze tubes and squeeze out the necessary amount on my bagel or bread.

I perfer to make them daily just for the taste factor. I use individual jiff cups. With brown berry health nut bread and pre cooked bacon.

jmez

WKR
I use the large flour tortillas and make them ahead of time and vacuum seal them. The honey will soak through the tortilla but it doesn't bother me.

Mike7

WKR
What I like the best and which works well keeping for at least 3 days...is to mix the peanunt butter and honey together first and toast the bread. I prefer almond butter though over peanut butter, and you can grind either yourself at WinCo Foods or Fred Meyer grocery store bulk foods sections here locally. I also prefer toasted cinnamon raisin english muffins or bread compared to bagels. I eat them all prior to a few days into the trip so haven't tried to go longer.

I find though that my other favorite (sourdough english muffins or bagels along with cream cheese and carrots) though keeps much better if you keep all of the parts separate and make the sandwich in the field. The carrots stay better whole until you are ready to cut lenghtwise and add to the sandwich, and the cream cheese keeps better in the smaller single-use sized foil pouches.

Vitals

WKR
Someone please enlighten me in the ways of the butthole sandwich. While its name raises some questions, it sounds really good, but what is the big appeal as far as a backpacking snack? It sounds like a good source of some protein, carbs from the bagel, and a little sugar from the honey?

Someone please enlighten me in the ways of the butthole sandwich. While its name raises some questions, it sounds really good, but what is the big appeal as far as a backpacking snack? It sounds like a good source of some protein, carbs from the bagel, and a little sugar from the honey?

600 calorie lunch

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I usually make them on the mountain. You can get a lot of honey packets at KFC:) They beat the hell out of mountain house 3+ days into a bivy hunt!

colonel00

WKR
For those that make them on the mountain, what have you found to be the best way to pack in peanut butter? I still have some MRE packs of peanut butter laying around but I figure someone has come up with a crafty way to pack up their own.

unm1136

WKR
Almond butter vs peanut butter is not a big deal for me, but I like pure maple syrup better. I take along a package or two of high fiber tortillas, and sometimes use Justin's almond butter w/maple syrup. Toss a Justin's single serve packet in the shopping cart for about two bucks once a month and your set. Also lets me take a couple of bags of MH wrap stuff, giving me afew days of Butthole Burritos (that just sounds...wrong), interspersed with MH Chicken Salad, or my favorite MH ever, Buffalo Chicken.

pat

muleman

WKR
Justin's or Peanut Butter Co. has individual serving packets that you can squeeze. Jiff has single serving cups.

Last edited: