Pemmican for the back country?

Poser

WKR
Are there any good commercial examples of this? I'm curious what this tastes like but most "meat bars" I am seeing in initial looking don't appear to have the large fat content that is being discussed here.

Not really. I looked into this before myself. The "Pemmican" brand sold at REI etc is a worthless piece of processed soy. I think that there may be some problems with making a true commercial pemmican. It would be difficult to stabilize the fat for the purposes of shipping without having to pack it in dry ice or similar. No true pemmican is going to do well with temps above mid 70s or so. It's great for hunting because we spend a lot of time in cool weather. It's not going to do so well in a package sitting in a warehouse in Arizona in July. The one way around this would be possibly to treat it more like a cured sausage and store it in casings, but rendered fat would still be prone to melting and, while that isn't really a big deal, commercial health codes wouldn't find the idea agreeable.