Lil-Rokslider
Species: Shiras Moose
State: Colorado
Gross: 196
Net: 194
Hunter: Bobby Hebert
Equipment: Longbow
Shot distance: 9 yards
Pending P&Y World Record and B&C top ten.

Bob text me this evening with the news, though I'd already seen on Facebook. Joe (armyjoe) and I met Bob, by chance, chasing bugles on the side of a mountain back in 2012. We've managed to keep in touch and crossed paths in Colorado again this year. Bob mentioned he was focusing on moose this year. He text me the picture of the brute bull in the back of the pickup on the day of the kill. He was very humble in explaining that he didn't want to speculate scores and was going to go ahead and let it dry before getting any measurements. I didn't push the issue with him but could tell it was likely to roll some numbers. Well, the verdict came in today. At 194, it'll beat the 18 year P&Y record by over 8 inches, pending form submissions, and land within the B&C top ten. Bob called me this evening, a little later after texting the news, and was just beside himself. I told him I'd seen it going around on Facebook and he didn't even know! Congrats to my friend Bob, I couldn't be happier for his accomplishment.

NWR_shiras1.jpg

NWR_shiras2.jpg

Last edited:
Rumor has it that there is a new Alaskan-Yukon world record too, waiting to be panel scored. Whether its true or not, I do not know.

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know where this moose was taken?? The reason I ask is why hunting elk in Wyoming, but just less than 1.5 miles or so from Colorado I saw a giant moose and got a poor pix of it. It was a big moose with what looked like a 55 spread, big poms. I said if he get a year or two older. He would be massive.. It was just north of the Colorado units 5/161 ED

Anyone know where this moose was taken?? The reason I ask is why hunting elk in Wyoming, but just less than 1.5 miles or so from Colorado I saw a giant moose and got a poor pix of it. It was a big moose with what looked like a 55 spread, big poms. I said if he get a year or two older. He would be massive.. It was just north of the Colorado units 5/161 ED

Must have been a differnt moose. This one killed by Bob was much further south than that. Quite a few giant Bulls running around Colorado.

Does anyone know what unit it was in? I think we may have seen this guy(the moose). I had heard a guy was hunting a monster in the drainage we were in, and on the way out after an elk hunt, we saw the biggest shiras we had ever seen....about 600 yards away. Too dark to get any good pics, but he was a beast!!!

Terrain in the 2nd pic looks similar to the area we were in.

PM me if you don't want to announce it. No interest in Moose hunting in co anyway. I'll keep it to myself.

Last edited:

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Absolute stud of a bull. Job well done to the hunter by not only taking a great moose but with a longbow to top it off.

prm

WKR
Well done! They introduced them in the area when I was young. Clearly they have done well!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Heck of a bull. I have been around some big Shiras but nothing that comes close to that! Awesome bull!