Perfect 280 AI barrel length?

Please no extremists! I know it will shoot from both an 18" and 30" barrel. I want to know what the "right" barrel length is for the caliber to maximize the chambering. Want to use as a carry gun.

Question #2 - Why 280 AI over 7mm Rem Mag?

Thank you! :)

Last edited:

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
Most all of my research indicated 24-25” finished. I’m planning to run 162 gr ELD-X.

Warrior27

Lil-Rokslider
I’m no expert but I had one built with a 26” barrel. I wanted to maximize velocity but still be able to carry it around. I feel it’s just right for my needs. Having said that somewhere in the 24”-26” is perfect in my opinion.

Both cartridges are very good, you can’t go wrong with either. I chose the AI over the 7 mag for a little less recoil but still relatively close to the ballistics of the 7.

I have two 280AI. One is a Kimber Mtn Ascent that I shortened to a 22” barrel. The other is a custom in a 24” barrel. Both have a suppressor on them. If I had to chose one, it would be the 22” especially since I’m using a suppressor on almost everything. If I wasn’t using a suppressor, the 24” is the sweet spot for me. But to each their own. I chose the 280 over the 7 because I like the near identical ballistics with the decreased recoil. Mostly cause I’m a wimp.

axeforce6

WKR
What’s your target animal? I plan to build one with a 20-22” barrel. But I have magnum rifles to fill the gap for something more and smaller cartridges to make up the difference on the smaller side of things.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Besides carrying, what do you expect to do with it? What is the biggest game and furthest distance?

tak

WKR
So for the perfomance and BC should I just be going with a 6.5?

There are guys that can speak to this much better than me, but I'm assuming by performance/BC you are talking about long range ballistics/wind drift. The 280ai outperforms the 6.5CM significantly. it's pretty close to the 6.5 PRC, but it can do it with a projectile that's 20gr heavier. Plus with a 6.5 PRC you may only have "2 down" in a hinged floor plate type magazine. Those are a few reasons I wanted 280ai over 6.5prc.

280AI over 7 mag because I had a standard bolt face donor action, less recoil, and 280 Ackley is just a cooler/unique cartridge. Also went with a 25" barrel just to be odd. I'd be fine with 22" for a lightweight gun or for suppressed, but for long range I didn't want to sacrifice velocity.

Just my thoughts when I decided on mine.

OP
big10hunter
What’s your target animal? I plan to build one with a 20-22” barrel. But I have magnum rifles to fill the gap for something more and smaller cartridges to make up the difference on the smaller side of things.
Elk
Besides carrying, what do you expect to do with it? What is the biggest game and furthest distance?
Most likely Elk and down. Want to be light for mtn hunting.

OP
big10hunter
There are guys that can speak to this much better than me, but I'm assuming by performance/BC you are talking about long range ballistics/wind drift. The 280ai outperforms the 6.5CM significantly. it's pretty close to the 6.5 PRC, but it can do it with a projectile that's 20gr heavier. Plus with a 6.5 PRC you may only have "2 down" in a hinged floor plate type magazine. Those are a few reasons I wanted 280ai over 6.5prc.

280AI over 7 mag because I had a standard bolt face donor action, less recoil, and 280 Ackley is just a cooler/unique cartridge. Also went with a 25" barrel just to be odd. I'd be fine with 22" for a lightweight gun or for suppressed, but for long range I didn't want to sacrifice velocity.

Just my thoughts when I decided on mine.
Yes, I would be considering a 6.5 PRC, not CM

axeforce6

WKR
Elk

Most likely Elk and down. Want to be light for mtn hunting.
If your set on 280 AI then I’d run a 24 for that. I wouldn’t go down in caliber size If elk is on the menu. I’d go to a 30 cal personally. But the 280 is more than capable. The extra 2” barrel will pick up an extra 50fps or so and still be manageable in the field. If timber is In the mix then I’d probably stay in that 22”.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Last fall I built a 280ai with a 24" barrel + brake and I feel it's pretty optimized for what I expected out of it and how it carries in the field. I'm launching the 162 eld-m right at 2800fps and the barrel hasn't sped up and settled in yet so maybe gain a little, but that's a conservative load nowhere near pressure. As far as comparing to 6.5 they're close enough that you can manipulate a calculator to justify which one you want, but apples to apples the .284 will have more energy.

280ai over 7 mag because with high bc bullets do you really need to burn 10+ extra grains of powder for an extra 150-200fps? Punch those numbers into a calculator and you'll be surprised. Also after owning multiple 7 mags and finally getting rid of all of them I vowed to never own a belted magnum again. Might be a different perspective if you don't reload.

I’ve got an ackley (two actually) and a 6.5 prc. The prc shoots fine, but I go to the ackley every time. First 280 was built with a 25” tube, next has a 26” proof carbon. Gosh it looks long with the break… I’ve never had to look for a deer shot with my 280ai. 195 Berger’s have dropped 8 or 9 right where they were shot. Ranges from 100ish to 890 yards. My wife took a white tail last fall (80 yard shot) that ran around 100-140yds after a 143 led-x to the boiler room. Everything was jelly, but the deer ran forever. You talk about a tense momma lol.

z987k

WKR
So for the perfomance and BC should I just be going with a 6.5?
If you're having a custom barrel made, then no. The 280AI slightly outperforms the PRC in factory loads. With a longer, higher BC bullet and a custom throat and faster twist for it out of a custom barrel, the 280AI starts to pull ahead by a good bit.

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
When looking at and comparing the ballistics on the eldx it looks like the 28nosler has quite a bit more speed and energy down range than the 280 and 7 mag. How come that particular caliber isn’t being talked about?
I’m asking because I’ve been considering 280ai, 28nosler, 7 mag and 300 prc.
Mainly a western big game guy that would also like to be able to carry it in the mountains for some sheep hunting. Not looking to shoot at 1000 yards on game, for sure on the range though.

My 28 nosler has been robbed to build my new 280ai. It a fine shooting round for sure, I just hate the recoil and muzzle blast of the nosler. Not to say that it’s awful, my wife has been able to make hits with it ar 900 -it’s just that I prefer the ackley because it does it without all the fuss lol. I’d need to go to my reloading bench to check, but the nosler takes like 79 grains of retumbo vs 57ishof reloder 23 in the ackley. Pushing the same bullet, a 195 Berger, my ackley does 2760fps vs 3064 for the nosler (looked it up in my ballistics app).

z987k

WKR
When looking at and comparing the ballistics on the eldx it looks like the 28nosler has quite a bit more speed and energy down range than the 280 and 7 mag. How come that particular caliber isn’t being talked about?
I’m asking because I’ve been considering 280ai, 28nosler, 7 mag and 300 prc.
Mainly a western big game guy that would also like to be able to carry it in the mountains for some sheep hunting. Not looking to shoot at 1000 yards on game, for sure on the range though.
It better have more speed and energy down range with 20gr more powder.

Recoil.

Jonesry09

Lil-Rokslider
It better have more speed and energy down range with 20gr more powder.

Recoil.
Got ya. So it's a better cartridge for people who are recoil aware.

My post wasn't meant to be challenging, I was honestly just curious after looking at the ballistics. I wasn't taking the recoil into factor.

Thanks for the answer!