Perfect 280 AI barrel length?

24"-26". I would be shooting an AI for more velocity. I don't know a hunter that says a short barrel hangs better off-hand than a longer one in my neck of the woods. As well, if length is a hindrance and 2" keeps folks from taking shots in closer cover or carrying a rifle they would otherwise choose, I have nothing to add for that circumstance.

rmarshall

WKR
I built my 280 AI with a 25", I'm shooting the 160 Accubond with R26. It's cruising along at 3060. It lays the smack down on big bull elk. Had a 7mag once, great cartridge but I prefer less recoil and less powder consumption for equal performance.

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone is recoil aware. There's not a person that shoots a 50BMG out of a 8lb gun as well as a 223 out of a 8lb gun.
The recoil from 280ai and 28 nosler are not very close to each other... unless your 28 nosler is a 30lb gun.

You have to look at what the mission for the gun is. 28 nosler is a cool cartridge, but are you hunting elk at 1000 yards?
Realistically it has very very few people that actually need it, which is why in a discussion of 280ai and a little bit of 6.5prc, it's not really appropriate as it's not in the same league at all.
I like this thread, and this post perfectly sums up why.
I've been looking at 280 ai seriously because it seems like a great all around cartridge. Fairly flat shooting, of course it's subjective, but all reports state it as having excellent accuracy, low recoil, so on. My buddy wants a 300 PRC and while I'll never criticize someone for getting a new gun, I just have no use for it. If I can throw 195 gr bullets at 2700, I don't need anything bigger for a hunting purpose.