Permanently Bedding a Scope Base

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone permanently bed their scope base to their receiver (no release agent)?

If the goal is consistency and zero movement, this seems like the way to go. No?

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
I do now. Even with tight tolerances I just can't see the harm, plus I like the idea of sealing that area between the mounts/rail and the receiver against water intrusion.

And even though I haven't had to remove one that has been bedded (yet), I can't imagine it would be hard to break loose given how smooth most receivers are.

wapitibob

WKR
Get a rail with a recoil lug or pins. If you have a machined action the rail should fit fine. An old Rem 700 that saw the scotchbrite wheel, not so much. You can also skim bed it but I see zero reason to glue it down.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Every one that isn't integral, and I'd prefer integral. I usually use Devcon or JB Weld, with both surfaces cleaned with rubbing alcohol (can be hard on some finishes). They're easy to take apart with heat, just sit a clothes iron on the rail.

Tmac

WKR
I’ve sort of skim bedded a few, I guess you’d call it, older weaver rails on Rem 700’s. I just used blue Loctite and screwed the rail down to 5 in lbs or so to dry and then fully tightened a day or so later. I took one off after about 15 years recently, it took a sharp rap to break the adhesion. Then I was able to scrape off the dried residue. Not sure I’d want a more permanent glue.

packer58

WKR
Tighten to spec right away or tighten less than spec and then when set tighten all the way?
Speaking specifically about one piece rails, unless the two mating surfaces are identical, meaning the top of the receiver and the mating surface of the rail .... you can actually twist / bend the rail into place by torquing the screws to spec.
IMO when bedding a rail to the receiver, weather permanent or not you should go no further than finger tight during the bedding process to avoid tweaking the rail. Once your choice of epoxy has fully cured then go ahead and torque to spec. That way you will have as close to a stress free scope attachment foundation as possible. That's really our goal to begin with.