Cant get my glass forward enough

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
T3x with Talley Lowdirect mount bases with a VX-Freedom 4-12x40. My natural shooting position must be really far forward(but not so far that the scope would ever touch my face) because I can't get the scope mounted forward enough to stay in the eye-releif window.

I didn't go with a picatinny base because my natural eye alignment is low on the receiver, these Talleys still aren't low enough and I don't think the Extra Low rings would be low enough either.

So I guess I'll have to switch to a picatinny rail and add a cheek riser.

Anyone else run into this?
Any other options?

I have no interest in swapping the stock unless someone gives me one.

KenLee

WKR
T3x with Talley Lowdirect mount bases with a VX-Freedom 4-12x40. My natural shooting position must be really far forward(but not so far that the scope would ever touch my face) because I can't get the scope mounted forward enough to stay in the eye-releif window.

I didn't go with a picatinny base because my natural eye alignment is low on the receiver, these Talleys still aren't low enough and I don't think the Extra Low rings would be low enough either.

So I guess I'll have to switch to a picatinny rail and add a cheek riser.

Anyone else run into this?
Any other options?

I have no interest in swapping the stock unless someone gives me one.
Leupold STD line offers extension rings to get you farther forward

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Stay in the scope with the sight picture you want. Now fully cycle the bolt action without losing your sight picture. How close it is to hitting your face?

I haven't been able to find the Tikka rings and now I see Warne makes some. I may need to check those out.
The warne can pinch scope tubes the um rings are a far superior product.

Jakerex

WKR
Use two Talley extended rings, or mount a plate / rail that lets you move back and forth as much as you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakerex

WKR
Other brands than Talley make extended rings too. Usually you get one standard ring and one extended in a pack, so you may have to get two packs of rings to get two extended rings.

You could also get an AR style mount of you really need to move forward a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The warne can pinch scope tubes the um rings are a far superior product.
These are the bees knees so far on two of my rifles. Going on two more after hunting season is over.

OP
B

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
Stay in the scope with the sight picture you want. Now fully cycle the bolt action without losing your sight picture. How close it is to hitting your face?
REAL close, 1/32"-1/16"

Ditching the talleys and getting sportsmatch or UM will address your mounting position limitations.

The other thing that's somewhat related - how do you shoulder the rifle? If sticking stock deep in the "shoulder pocket" and not being square with the rifle, your eye gets closer to the scope. Here's a recent video addressing this and how it impacts LOP and eye relief.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Ditching the talleys and getting sportsmatch or UM will address your mounting place spot.

The other thing that's somewhat related - how do you shoulder the rifle? If sticking stock deep in the "shoulder pocket" and not being square with the rifle, your eye gets closer to the scope. Here's a recent video addressing this and how it impacts LOP and eye relief.
I’m ditching a set of talleys for another set of UM rings as we speak. Much much much better mounting setup!