permethrin concentrate?

TheCougar

WKR
Does anyone have a link for a safe permethrin concentrate, approved for clothes, etc? My bottles of Sawyer 0.5% Permethrin are empty and it doesn’t make sense to keep paying $30 for two bottles of 99.5% water. When I go on Amazon, all the bottles of concentrated permethrin are for exterior insecticide use and the manufacturers says that should not be used for treat clothes, etc.

NCSU_Lewis

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt you will find anything that isn't already diluted and ready to use. It is a relatively nasty insecticide, and marketing it for clothes treatment would be a big liability to the manufacturer if it wasn't already a safe concentration. But I could definitely be wrong.

Gobspur

FNG
This what I use. 10% concentrate and dilute it down to about .5 or .6%. This one doesnt have the petroleum distillates in it, so doesnt make your clothes stinky or oily. Been using it for years and no ticks since.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Yeah^ I do the same as Gobspur....a bottle of the concentrate lasts a long time.

You don't need to mix it any stronger either...the stuff works at a very low concentration.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
I've been doing the same for years, still haven't grown a tail or anything.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
The Martins concentrate (diluted, of course) is not supposed to be used for clothing, but I’m not sure why. It doesn’t use petroleum distillates and seems safe, based on what the internets say. The only thing I can find that may be a drawback: permethrin designed for fabrics has a “binder” (or possibly that’s marketing BS), so a waterbased pure permethrin concentrate like Martins May not be as effective after washing or over a period of time. For the life of me, I can’t find a bulk concentrate for fabric approved permethrin, which is annoying. The Martins cost is about 1/20 the cost of a same amount of the sawyers spray.

manitou1

WKR
We mix permethrin STRONG and still get ticks! Used to be able to lay a tick on hunting pants that were sprayed a week prior and they would die. Now we.spray socks, t's, boots, pants and shirts with concentrate mixed HOT and we still get ticks. A few get through each season... and manage to bite.
What changed? I have tried several brands and apply heavily on clothes at 2-3 times the recommended concentrate. I hate ticks!

jolemons

WKR
Used extensively in livestock industry. Check vet supply distributor for cheapest stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
Just did all my turkey gear with diluted martins yesterday. I used one ounce before diluting. Soaked it all through in a bucket, squeezed it out, and then let it dry. (Boots, long underwear, pants, hoody, gloves, face cover, top and bottom rain gear)

Even if you have to re-apply, its going to be a lot more cost effective.

Bbrinks

FNG
Does anyone else notice a smell with the martins? I use sawyers as well and don’t notice any added scent, but with the martins diluted to .5%, it seems to add a slight chemical smell, almost like new clothes smell.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Go to bwca.com and search the messageboard there. There's a lot of info and experience diluting permethrin for northern canoe trips on that forum. If I remember correctly most reference getting concentrate from fleet and farm or similar stores.

GotDraw?

WKR
Permethrin has a strong surfactant (wetting agent ) in it, this is how it is able to get into ticks/chiggers, etc.

I would strongly consider this before using it on rain gear because rain may no longer bead up and roll off your rain gear. If you retreat your rain gear with water repellent, then the Permethrin won't work or won't work well.

I learned the above while talking with a sales rep for a company that sells Permethrin treated clothes for foresters.

Best,

JL

Just did all my turkey gear with diluted martins yesterday. I used one ounce before diluting. Soaked it all through in a bucket, squeezed it out, and then let it dry. (Boots, long underwear, pants, hoody, gloves, face cover, top and bottom rain gear)

Even if you have to re-apply, its going to be a lot more cost effective.

dla

WKR
I bought mine at the feed store. The most common has fuel oil in it so that it sticks to livestock hair, but they also had stuff that was water bases. I don't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure a trip to a feed store would be the best bet to save money.

I also bought some of the Martin's 10% recently and a nice spray bottle for application.

Haven't got around to mixing it yet. Anyone have a good ratio for mixing up a gallon or so?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I also bought some of the Martin's 10% recently and a nice spray bottle for application.

Haven't got around to mixing it yet. Anyone have a good ratio for mixing up a gallon or so?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
1.5 gallons of water, 1 Oz of 10% Martin's IIRC

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
1.5 gallons of water, 1 Oz of 10% Martin's IIRC
I don’t think that is correct. Typical permethrin sprays for clothes are at .5%. For the 10% Martins, you would want to mix at a 1:20 ratio, which should give you the .5% mix. For every 20oz of water, you add 1oz of 10% concentrate. If you have a 32oz spray bottle, add 1.5oz concentrate and then fill to the 32oz line, and you’re good to go. For a gallon, it would be 6oz and then fill to the gallon line with water. I think that math checks, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think that is correct. Typical permethrin sprays for clothes are at .5%. For the 10% Martins, you would want to mix at a 1:20 ratio, which should give you the .5% mix. For every 20oz of water, you add 1oz of 10% concentrate. If you have a 32oz spray bottle, add 1.5oz concentrate and then fill to the 32oz line, and you’re good to go. For a gallon, it would be 6oz and then fill to the gallon line with water. I think that math checks, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

Almost. Since 1 oz is 10% permethrin, you need 19 more oz of water to get to .5%. Here’s the math:

1 oz x 10%
—————— = .5%
1 oz + 19 oz

Regards,
Scott