Permethrin

Permethrin should not be applied to a WP or WPB garment / shelter outer. The DWR effectiveness will be reduced from an ideal 5 level to a ~3 level.

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I spend a great deal of time each spring in tick infested woods. Since I started using Sawyers several years ago, I haven't had any issues with ticks. I have found a few dead ones in my clothing. I heavily spray all my outerwear, pack and boots. All of the information coming out on the serious and life-altering disease caused by ticks is making me wonder if I shouldn't also be applying Sawyers to my clothing and gear for the archery elk season.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Yes, permethrin is used on horses. It is one of the synthetic pyrethroid insecticides. They are insect neurotoxin based on pyrethrum, an insectide contained in an African chrysanthemum species. Fast acting, broad spectrum insect and tick effects with low mammalian effects and fairly safe but don't be spraying into a trout stream.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So it's the same stuff Thermacell uses?

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
So it's the same stuff Thermacell uses?
I had to check what Thermacell used. It is allethrin, a synthetic pyrethroid related to permethrin.

This group of insecticides work well because they have both quick knockdown and are also repellent.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm a believer myself, but it's still not 100%. Two weekends ago I had my clothes well treated and two ticks still managed to find their way into each of my thighs. I've done some testing with ticks and it does work.

In English please professor.

Don't put it on something that's made to deflect water. IE rain gear, tents, softshells as it degrades the coating over time and can actually cause damage to the membrane as well.

WPB= Waterproof Breathable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
@buttekid - I would use it for archery season as well as in the spring. Last September while bivy hunting I woke up in the middle of the night inside my tent to one stuck to the back of my knee. Tired of dealing with those little suckers!

colonel00

WKR
For those talking about getting "10%" and mixing it yourself. Got any links or brands to look for?

I've been using Permethrin and Permanome (I think it was) before that. A must for sprint turkey hunting and other warm weather activities in the woods.

Beendare

WKR
As I understand it it's the carrier in the product that affects rain jackets. Deet also wrecks the coated RG .... but no reason to spray either on your RG.

For those talking about getting "10%" and mixing it yourself. Got any links or brands to look for?

I've been using Permethrin and Permanome (I think it was) before that. A must for sprint turkey hunting and other warm weather activities in the woods.

I get mine from Tractor Supply. You can find it on Amazon also.

Squirrels

WKR
If my math is correct, to take a 10% solution to a .5% solution you would mix .64 ounces per gallon of water.

128 ounces of water in a gallon, 10% of that is 12.8

x divied by 128 = .005, solve for x you get .64

After extensively testing most tick repellents, elimitick pants from gamehide I would say work a touch better than the spray... it's always there and no walking back to the truck to get a can. I wear these for work in the woods, use the spray when I hunt.

high deet concentrated spray is better than nothing but sawyers tick spray works better, if you're just shroom hunting, turkey hunting close to home or anything other than hunting off a backpack for extended days... I prefer tick pants.

Dameon

WKR
I use Sawyer's permethrin on all my outer layers and use Sawyer's Picaridin lotion on my skin. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Kilboars

WKR
I spray down everything I take to with woods with Permethrin. Even the carpet of my SUV.

I spray down all my cloths after every wash.

I go through some thick stuff cutting trails and hunting and never find ticks on me anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
@buttekid - I would use it for archery season as well as in the spring. Last September while bivy hunting I woke up in the middle of the night inside my tent to one stuck to the back of my knee. Tired of dealing with those little suckers!

Thanks for the tip, MtnHunter. Any concerns or bad experiences with the permethrin odor on your elk hunting clothing or gear?