Permethrin

Brendan

WKR
If any of you have cats - make sure you don't let them near any of your gear treated with Permethrin. Dogs can supposedly deal with it, but it is highly toxic to cats.

Wifey would not be impressed if your hunting clothing killed her tabby...

Squirrels

WKR
If any of you have cats - make sure you don't let them near any of your gear treated with Permethrin. Dogs can supposedly deal with it, but it is highly toxic to cats.

Wifey would not be impressed if your hunting clothing killed her tabby...

So you're saying if I were to spray my yard it might keep all the neighborhood cats away.........interesting

Permethrin 10 is one I've used from TS
Brand may be Gordon's
It is 10% but Sawyers is 0.5%
Have been using Farnam equine sprays, either Bronco or Repel-x, but they are only 0.1% along with other insecticides/repellants. One quart for about the same price as a pocket sized Deep Woods
Can't buy Permethrin for human use up here, something about saving people from themselves.

Permethrin is commonly used to kill lice, mites, and bedbugs. It is sold nationwide. RID (made by Bayer) markets it and sells it through WalMart, Amazon, Walgreens, and everywhere else. It is sprayed directly on human skin to kill head lice at 0.5% concentration as you can see in the photo.

This isn't the most cost effective way to buy it at all. But my point is that it is widely sold and used.

2017-05-23 10_58_55-Amazon.com_ Rid Home Lice Control Spray, Lice Control System, 5 Ounces_ Heal.jpg

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I have been wearing one my leftover Permethrin treated deployment uniforms for turkey hunting the last two seasons and haven’t found a tick on me after a hunt. The Army has been treating the uniforms for some time now. During my 2004 deployment we were issued treatment kits to self-treat our uniforms, but in 2010 and 2015 our issued operational uniforms were pretreated and now all our ACU uniforms are treated; even our non-operational non-fire retardant ones. The uniforms are rated for up to 50 launderings and the Multicam/OCP camo is pretty good in the early spring woods here in NH for turkey season. There really isn’t any odor from the pretreated uniforms unlike when we did the kits. With the kits once they were dry they didn’t really smell but when they got sweaty under our body armor there was a distinct petroleum odor to them which I believe had something to do with the other ingredients used to make the permethrin stick to the clothing. Between the treated uniforms and some 100% DEET sprayed on my boonie hat not only have I been tick free in the turkey woods but the blackflies have been pretty much tolerable as well.

I mixed up a solution to test the other day. I got 10% concentrate from Tractor Supply. My boy only had cotton clothes so I knew they wouldn't dry in time. I treated some of my synthetics and I found one on myself the entire weekend. It was on my boot and fell off after a couple seconds. I pulled 10 off my boy in the first 5 minutes of being out there. I'm sold on permethrin after this last weekend.

Regards, Branden