Picking an OTC CO Unit

nursul

FNG
You may want to double check that ^^^^ if you're hunting archery
So I’m looking at the Eastmans (EBJ) issue 112. The MRS for CO Archery Elk opens by stating “units 35, 36, 361 have been taken off the OTC list completely.” It goes on to say...”but you still hunt all those units with an OTC any-weapon license during 2nd and 3rd season and you can still hunt them by drawing a muzzloader license for those units”. My interruption is that unit 36 is no longer an OTC Archery unit. Am I somehow misreading that paragraph? It’s possible Eastman’s published inaccurate information. Guess I’ll have to go old fashion and make a phone call to CPW.

Fatcamp

WKR
I highly recommend getting the Big Game Hunting Handbook published by CPW. I like digital stuff as much as anyone, but that is some great information, much easier to interpret, and factual. I'm sure they would mail it to you.

cnelk

WKR
Everyone should have at least 1 copy of the CPW regulations.

WTF does Eastmans know?

Here ya go. Go hunt 36 & 37 if you want to.

42828466-E280-4C12-8B74-02205A4F6178.jpeg

ChrisAU

WKR
So I’m looking at the Eastmans (EBJ) issue 112. The MRS for CO Archery Elk opens by stating “units 35, 36, 361 have been taken off the OTC list completely.” It goes on to say...”but you still hunt all those units with an OTC any-weapon license during 2nd and 3rd season and you can still hunt them by drawing a muzzloader license for those units”. My interruption is that unit 36 is no longer an OTC Archery unit. Am I somehow misreading that paragraph? It’s possible Eastman’s published inaccurate information. Guess I’ll have to go old fashion and make a phone call to CPW.

36 is still OTC for Archery, as well as 35 and 361. Never, ever trust any information on that except what you get directly from CPW.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/R...dium=Marketing5&utm_campaign=2019-BG-Brochure

cnelk

WKR
Thats effin bullsh!t that Eastmans would even print that.

The only thing that changed was Cow Elk licenses in those units [35,36,44,45,47,361,444] went from B List to A List.

Its all on Pg 32 of the Regs. The FIRST page of the Elk Section.

nursul

FNG
Thats effin bullsh!t that Eastmans would even print that.

The only thing that changed was Cow Elk licenses in those units [35,36,44,45,47,361,444] went from B List to A List.

Its all on Pg 32 of the Regs. The FIRST page of the Elk Section.

Attachments

• F30A7E3C-3392-49C7-B24B-8DA1B62FA59D.jpeg
    F30A7E3C-3392-49C7-B24B-8DA1B62FA59D.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 63

bmf0713

WKR
What about your research led you to believe the elk will be in the wilderness, in the BLM, and in the other public lands?
I got most of my info from CPW website. Couldn’t find much on the unit I want to hunt. Gonna wait and see if I draw the tag then maybe give a biologist a call. And I’m just kinda hoping they are on public land because I researched my bank account and I won’t be paying any trespass fees or hiring a guide.

RedFox67

FNG
Thanks for the info! Planning an OTC archery hunt next year and planning to tag along with a buddy on his rifle hunt.

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
Does hunting the primitive/wilderness areas drastically cut down the hunting pressure? Thanks

Wilderness areas are great. No cattle and no road hunters. You have to be committed and in shape to hunt them. Still there is hunting pressure often times from guides but they tend to go in 5 plus miles. You can hunt in between and still have good hunting. My standard is 2 to 4 miles. You will need a couple of buddies who share the work when someone gets a bull down. Most out of state hunters make the mistake of hunting dark timber. You will want an area that is more open. A mix of aspen and pine with open meadows is preferred. Look for game trails on Google Earth it is a good indicator where you will find elk.

nursul

FNG
Wilderness areas are great. No cattle and no road hunters. You have to be committed and in shape to hunt them. Still there is hunting pressure often times from guides but they tend to go in 5 plus miles. You can hunt in between and still have good hunting. My standard is 2 to 4 miles. You will need a couple of buddies who share the work when someone gets a bull down. Most out of state hunters make the mistake of hunting dark timber. You will want an area that is more open. A mix of aspen and pine with open meadows is preferred. Look for game trails on Google Earth it is a good indicator where you will find elk.
You say no cattle in Wilderness areas. Is this standard law/policy or does it vary by Wilderness area?

cnelk

WKR
^^^^ Ive seen cattle in Wilderness areas. Probably just drifted into them, but there can be cattle