Lil-Rokslider
14c28n and ironwood

a7edfec90572e3862c1345df51bc40f0.jpg

b8cd878755943ac7006d991abf53f2c1.jpg

d83da2ebffbd46f012e1aa4e97d8f69c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intunegp

WKR
Small Skinner Dan. Magnacut @ 63 HRC Zero ground w/15 degree secondary. Gcarta scales

Just for my understanding...is there any difference between a zero grind with a secondary bevel and a FFG?

Slalomnorth

Lil-Rokslider
Just for my understanding...is there any difference between a zero grind with a secondary bevel and a FFG?

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking. Basically zero ground means that I ground the bevels to an edge off the grinder (wet ground), and then put a secondary bevel. As I’ve heard some makers say “I like my knives sharp before I sharpen them.”

Edge geometry is the number one factor in edge retention over anything. That includes steel, heat treat, etc. You can’t buy any production knife this thin, it’s too costly and precise to produce. When you use a thinly ground knife you can’t go back, the cutting efficiency is exceptional

intunegp

WKR
I’m not quite sure what you’re asking. Basically zero ground means that I ground the bevels to an edge off the grinder (wet ground), and then put a secondary bevel. As I’ve heard some makers say “I like my knives sharp before I sharpen them.”

Edge geometry is the number one factor in edge retention over anything. That includes steel, heat treat, etc. You can’t buy any production knife this thin, it’s too costly and precise to produce. When you use a thinly ground knife you can’t go back, the cutting efficiency is exceptional

Okay, I think I understand. Traditionally a zero grind has no secondary bevel...the primary bevel runs from spine to sharpened edge. By adding a secondary bevel it becomes a full flat grind, which is basically the same thing but with the addition of a secondary bevel.

Lawnboi

WKR
I don’t buy a lot of knives anymore but decided to change that this year and see what magnacut is all about.

The attention to detail, and design of this knife is unreal. Purpose built for cutting up game.

Some venison Philly cheese steak sandwiches on the menu tonight gave me an opportunity to start using it.

IMG_0201.jpeg

Slalomnorth

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, I think I understand. Traditionally a zero grind has no secondary bevel...the primary bevel runs from spine to sharpened edge. By adding a secondary bevel it becomes a full flat grind, which is basically the same thing but with the addition of a secondary bevel.

Zero ground isn’t so much a type of grind I’m more just saying that I brought a full flat grind to a “zero” edge and then added a secondary bevel. You can make an grind type zero ground if that makes sense

intunegp

WKR
Zero ground isn’t so much a type of grind I’m more just saying that I brought a full flat grind to a “zero” edge and then added a secondary bevel. You can make an grind type zero ground if that makes sense

I know zero grinds aren't limited to a specific type, just that the primary grind goes from spine to cutting edge. Full flat and scandi are two common styles for an edge that is truly zero ground and left that way. Adding a secondary bevel makes it NOT zero ground because there is an additional bevel. I get what you're saying and that the zero grind was the first part of your process, but the addition of a secondary bevel makes it a standard full flat grind. I was just trying to clarify that.

Slalomnorth

Lil-Rokslider
I know zero grinds aren't limited to a specific type, just that the primary grind goes from spine to cutting edge. Full flat and scandi are two common styles for an edge that is truly zero ground and left that way. Adding a secondary bevel makes it NOT zero ground because there is an additional bevel. I get what you're saying and that the zero grind was the first part of your process, but the addition of a secondary bevel makes it a standard full flat grind. I was just trying to clarify that.

Yeah we’re both on the same page. I just say I zero ground it and then added the secondary bevel for the sake of denoting the geometry of the knife