Plasma Lighter-Good, bad, ugly?

Cdroot89

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with the plasma lighters? I bought one because I like the concept of being able to recharge it if I have to as I usually have a power bank to charge my phone. It certainly won’t be my only way to start a fire.

On the bad/ugly side I was shooting my bow and ripped my fletching. Some times I use a traditional lighter to melt it back together for a quick fix. I tried it with my plasma lighter and to my surprise it shocked me. I was holding the arrow in one hand and the lighter in the other. I felt it in both hands.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I got one of the @Pyro Putty dual arc ones. Love it so far but haven't had a chance to use it in inclement weather. I had it for a year in the box unopened (received at end of a season and just didn't get back to it) but was happy to see it's fully functional with no charge in that time. Puts out a HOT arc that you don't even want to put your finger near (I tried! and threw it at @ntrlbrnhunter so fast it scared me).

Anyway, I packed it around for a few weeks and it seems great, but like OP asked, what's the word on these?

My biggest concern is the weight of something like that. A BIC lighter weighs so little, why not just carry that?

But no, I haven't used one in the field and suspect others might not for this very reason.

One thing I’ve been impressed with, They work when it’s brutal cold! I lit a fire the other day hunting, it was below zero, my bic would not light and my fingers were damn near to the point of not working 🤣
I was super glad I had the @Pyro Putty lighter.... damn near forgot I had it in my pack. (Thanks Robby)

I’m not going to lie, I thought they were a little gimmicky, but I think I’ll always have it now. Especially hunting lions in the winter!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I’ve been impressed with, They work when it’s brutal cold! I lit a fire the other day hunting, it was below zero, my bic would not light and my fingers were damn near to the point of not working 🤣
I was super glad I had the @Pyro Putty lighter.... damn near forgot I had it in my pack. (Thanks Robby)

I’m not going to lie, I thought they were a little gimmicky, but I think I’ll always have it now. Especially hunting lions in the winter!
That answers one of my questions right there. I've had to warm up Bics in my pocket before they would light in extreme cold, and even then it was a paltry little flame. Thanks Travis, glad you're enjoying it.

Anyone else?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My biggest concern is the weight of something like that. A BIC lighter weighs so little, why not just carry that?

But no, I haven't used one in the field and suspect others might not for this very reason.
hi, for some of the reasons mentioned like cold weather ops and getting them wet. But carried Bics for years and do agree they're light and pretty dang reliable.