Please advise: Tripod and head for stable shooting platform

carter33

WKR
My vote would be for the anvil-30, as far as tripods go the lighter you get the less stable you will be. With the RRS anvil and TFCT-24L tripod I can group almost as well at 600yards as I can prone. Not quite as tight and I usually don’t feel as confident but the groups are good.

I have an anvil 30 on a lightweight gitzo tripod and the amount of wobble is significant vs the heavier RRS tripod. It serves its purpose though especially on long backpack hunts.

I have not shot with the leveling bases though, I use the anvil to both glass and shoot. Would be interested to hear from those that have used a leveling base and anvil for both glassing and shooting what they think are the tradeoffs and what is better for dual purpose.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Any thoughts on the RRS TVC-22i for hunting/shooting/glassing? Seems to be able to get to the right heights for shooting or glassing and is pretty simple

Lawnboi

WKR
Any thoughts on the RRS TVC-22i for hunting/shooting/glassing? Seems to be able to get to the right heights for shooting or glassing and is pretty simple
I looked into it, I’d even be into a shorter version of it designed for a max of sitting/kneeling but overall it’s just too tall when collapsed. Lots of guys use them for steel matches around here. The ascend long is what I’d get if I were a normal sized guy.

khuber84

WKR
There are guys with connections at RRS who have a short leg rrs 22i, it don't do much for its intended competition performance, but I bet it's far better for practical field use. 99% shooters with the 22i utilize it for glassing and rear support for prs matches.

bradb

WKR
info about the short legged 22i's were posted on RRS facebook yesterday

Lawnboi

WKR
I asked for the short when I saw the 22i come out, prs ascend. That would have been my choice had it been available. At the time they said they couldn’t see the use.
I can definitely see the use when I’m digging through the snow to adjust my legs. Guessing you get a lot of stiffness as well for a minor weight penalty.

khuber84

WKR
I asked for the short when I saw the 22i come out, prs ascend. That would have been my choice had it been available. At the time they said they couldn’t see the use.
I can definitely see the use when I’m digging through the snow to adjust my legs. Guessing you get a lot of stiffness as well for a minor weight penalty.
Have you looked at a leofoto so-322c? They're pretty affordable, a guy could go Frankenstein and disassemble the legs, chop lengths and recap, create a bad A little tripod. I have one for rear support prs and it's tupid light for that style unit.

tak

WKR
There's some good info in this thread, thank you!

Commenting now because I came across a thread a few weeks ago on tripod shooting techniques. It was a long thread with a lot of pictures. Discussed pulling the tripod into you and other tips to get stable. Maybe a year or two old?

For the life of me I can't find it when I search. I'm pretty sure it was Rokslide, but I guess it's possible it was another forum, but I don't think so.

Anyone know what thread I'm talking about? Have a link? Thanks!