PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT ABOUT CLASSIFIED ADS PRICE -THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Read the rules-don't comment about how high the price is in the seller post. This has been stated several times. It would be silly to get banned for making an unnecessary comment about something that is none of your business.

Seems like access and participation in the "Classifieds" needs to be bumped to a minimum of a hundred post & a minimum of six months of being a member. That certainly might cull out some of the chaff.

"It would be silly to get banned for making an unnecessary comment about something that is none of your business."... Rokslide "QUOTE OF THE YEAR!"

Sorry but that made me spit out my coffee! We would lose half the membership! Thanks for the late night laugh!

Probably one of the best quotes ever!

I'm not trying to be argumentative but maybe you guys should post this in each of the classified ad forums. Posting it here in general discussions is kind of preaching to the wrong choir. We get it. It's already been discussed recently. If you want to reach the guys who are members trying to buy and sell stuff, then you should target those specific areas.

Just my humble advice.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not trying to be argumentative but maybe you guys should post this in each of the classified ad forums. Posting it here in general discussions is kind of preaching to the wrong choir. We get it. It's already been discussed recently. If you want to reach the guys who are members trying to buy and sell stuff, then you should target those specific areas.

Just my humble advice.
The rule has been in the classified since I believe 2019-see this link

It is right there in the first classified ad forum-but not in each subcategory so perhaps we need to do that but certainly that shouldn’t be necessary.

Honestly though why should this even need to be a written rule? Just as you stated you are not being argumentative - I am truly curious as to why we can’t just act like adults and not have to be told to what to post on a forum? If we tried to make a sticky note heading to cover every possible scenario of what not to do it would be a ton of stuff that many would never read anyway.

Here is a “rule” I would like to see followed. Simply act like a responsible considerate member of a group of folks that should be supportive of one another.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Simply act like a responsible considerate member of a group of folks that should be supportive of one another.
Yes. Support fellow members by sending a PM to try to help them out with their pricing errors, instead of telling the entire community in their thread. ;)

wytx

WKR
Maybe add calling out a Mod or staff member to that list of ban-able offenses.

Most forums have this same rule about not commenting on price.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe add calling out a Mod or staff member to that list of ban-able offenses.
Edit: comment was clarified, all good.

That comment could’ve been directed at those who are commenting and complaining about prices, that’s why I asked for clarification. Either way it should’ve been made more clear as to what they were referring to.

Last edited:
The rule has been in the classified since I believe 2019-see this link

It is right there in the first classified ad forum-but not in each subcategory so perhaps we need to do that but certainly that shouldn’t be necessary.

Honestly though why should this even need to be a written rule? Just as you stated you are not being argumentative - I am truly curious as to why we can’t just act like adults and not have to be told to what to post on a forum? If we tried to make a sticky note heading to cover every possible scenario of what not to do it would be a ton of stuff that many would never read anyway.

Here is a “rule” I would like to see followed. Simply act like a responsible considerate member of a group of folks that should be supportive of one another.
Just so you know, I agree with you 100% on everything you've written above.

I saw that rule after deliberately searching for it a couple weeks ago when we were all discussing this same topic. I hadn't seen it before though because I've only ever looked at the optics and firearms classifieds. Putting the rules at the top of each subcategory will hopefully tone down the violations and also give you even better cause for banning members that still break them.

I'm a bit of a shit-house philosopher, so I often ponder the "why" of things. I also enjoy researching psychology and statistics relating to demographics and behavior. Both pastimes have led me to a couple of interesting, yet disappointing, conclusions:

- 1 out of 5 people I meet are the reason why warning labels are placed on obviously dangerous things. Think Tide pods or "Do not drink" labels on cleaning products.

- 1 out of 3 people need simple ideas and rules explained to them in kindergarten fashion. Additionally, ideas and rules may need to be explained/reinforced many times before it takes hold.

It's easy to overestimate other people's intelligence and attention to detail. Thus, for ensuring compliance, it's best to dumb it down and plaster the list of rules everywhere.

However, if you wish to cultivate a culture that is more in alignment with what you've written above, then you shouldn't make any changes at all. Just ban people that violate the rules. Sure, you'll get the occasional dolphin in the tuna net but eventually you'll thin down the people who don't fit into the culture of Rokslide. The members most likely to follow the rules will be the ones that are active in this discussion forum.

That's my wordy, two cents!

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Justsomeguy

Thanks for the posts. You and I are both shit-house philosophers and the "why" of things is what I chase most often. We all need to be able to question, disagree and debate on topics while maintaining a genuine atmosphere of respect. That is much easier said than done.

Thanks again for your message!

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just to clarify-this was a case of the ad not being in the correct area original but the OP has the required # of posts . The ad needed to be cleaned up though so I understand the comments as the heading was off and details were lacking. We are good now .