PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT ABOUT CLASSIFIED ADS PRICE -THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
If someone can sell something for more than the new price at a store more power to them. It's the buyers fault for paying their asking price plain and simple.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
I’m sure the these guys watching out for the price gougers are also paying extra when they buy something from a member who is priced below what it’s worth….

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd hate to see them go but, I also understand as the classifieds always seem to be a thorn in the side at every forum.
Suggestions: Fee only to use them; make the threads lockable so nobody but the poster can have access, that way all communication is via PM; ditch the WTB option.
Nuclear option; kill it altogether. Hopefully not, though.
They get worse via pm and text messages. PMs can and have been reported (just this morning for example), I’ve also seen screenshots of text messages that were ugly.

I do like your thinking though and hopefully something can be worked out.

Ucsdryder

WKR
You are not wrong in a roundabout way. I have been thinking VERY hard about deleting the classifieds at the end of this year. They are a giant waste of time for me and the mods. I am torn because I love buying and selling in the classifieds. It's way better than fleebays ridicules pricing. But half of my ******* time on this site is dealing with whinners that buy or sell in the classifieds.

Do only yuppies buy gear from the advertisers?
You take that back right now!!!

Mojave

WKR
There are tons of items in the classifieds that are full retail.

In case anyone hasn't been watching.

The markets are over stuffed from the Covid pandemic.

Most retailers are expanding huge sales almost monthly. I got a notification from Kuiu about 30% off for backpacks, a week or two after I got a notice from them on a huge discount on something else.

Kuiu isn't alone.

They over ordered during the pandemic when everyone had money and now they are full. Go hunt has been doing double points.

Hell even Swarovski "open box" items are $800 off in some places. Someone posted it the other day.

Paying anywhere near retail is a fools game.

You are not wrong in a roundabout way. I have been thinking VERY hard about deleting the classifieds at the end of this year. They are a giant waste of time for me and the mods. I am torn because I love buying and selling in the classifieds. It's way better than fleebays ridicules pricing. But half of my ******* time on this site is dealing with whinners that buy or sell in the classifieds.

Please keep the classifieds! I think that they are one of the best parts of the forum, and without a doubt the best hunting gear marketplace on the web. It might make it more worth your time and easier to manage if you were to charge for access to them. I'd happily pay a yearly fee for access.
It isn't just the yuppies, but I bet they do the majority of the spending. Being new, they don't have gear and are easy to get excited about buying new stuff so that they can at least play the part. It's a business and site traffic/membership is the product, but I think changes could be adopted to discourage low level content (such as asking for locations).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Open to a conversation about specific examples.
In terms of banning competent members, I'm referring to TSD. This seems like a pretty light reason to ban someone, in comparison to some other things that get posted and don't result in a ban.
As far as yuppie content:
Asking for spots
Discussing spots
I'd say any dumb questions (which caliber? posts) but every forum ever has the same topics pop up over and over. I'm not sure that is avoidable.
As for the classifieds, like I said above I'm all for an access fee if that helps to clean it up.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Ryan and his staff have pretty thick skin. I doubt HIGHLY that TSD was banned for a minor rule infraction. He does not seem like the kind of guy to do things half a$$ed…probably more than meets the eye there. Two sides to every story kind of deal.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
In terms of banning competent members, I'm referring to TSD. This seems like a pretty light reason to ban someone, in comparison to some other things that get posted and don't result in a ban.
As far as yuppie content:
Asking for spots
Discussing spots
I'd say any dumb questions (which caliber? posts) but every forum ever has the same topics pop up over and over. I'm not sure that is avoidable.
As for the classifieds, like I said above I'm all for an access fee if that helps to clean it up.

Thank you, I’ll respond after breakfast, maybe in a pm

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ryan and his staff have pretty thick skin. I doubt HIGHLY that TSD was banned for a minor rule infraction. He does not seem like the kind of guy to do things half a$$ed…probably more than meets the eye there. Two sides to every story kind of deal.
I’d have to look into it as I’m not 100% sure if the TSD guy’s screen name is what I think it is.

Just speaking generally to the recent price bickering that was going on. Culture is the lowest level of behavior you allow to exist. One bad comment allowed to stay will set the bar too low for everyone.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
@PathFinder I see your points. I seem to stay busy with reports (typically in the general and classified forums) and spam stuff. These are things that get reported or flagged so there’s a notification at the top of my screen to get my attention.
The “please hold my hand” type posts aren’t technically against the rules so maybe that’s why they don’t get reported? I’m all for weeding out posts that dilute the forum. I just only have so much time and they’re not exactly coming across my desk. Keeping Rokslide’s image in mind it would be better of us to kill them with kindness than to be the ass responding to an ignorant or lazy question. I mean that based on personal observations when I read some of the threads that get reported, not you personally.

As far your question on banning members go Steve O’s comment is spot on, the screen shot in this thread is only half accurate.

CorbLand

WKR

I really hope you don’t get rid of the classifieds but can’t say I would blame you.

The problem your going to run into if you do is people will just post it in the GD forum. You will be deleting threads left and right.

rodney482

WKR

I assume this platform allows you to see how popular the classifieds are?

Are there really people who take screen shots of text messages and send them in to complain about a member on a forum? Wow, is all I have to say. I guess that is the definition of cancel culture though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are there really people who take screen shots of text messages and send them in to complain about a member on a forum? Wow, is all I have to say. I guess that is the definition of cancel culture though.
I can’t speak for anything that is directly sent to the owners just what I see with reported scamming. We have rules and if they are broken through a pm vs a public comment it’s still using the services of the Rokslide site so I won’t ignore based on it originating privately. Same with texts because you obviously had to exchange numbers through Rokslide.

It’s not cancel culture tattletale being reported, it’s scammers or more serious things.

Rich M

WKR
Down to the penny.

We would be fine and have more time for other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was on another forum in years past and they had to separate the classifieds to gain peace.

They ran it as a separate entity and it was a "use at your own risk" kind of thing. Seemed like a little bit of the "wild west" and things calmed down, never had any issues on there. (or on here for that matter - but I spend very little time on the classifieds here - find buying retail more appealing but have bought & sold on here)

wyosteve

WKR
So I’ve been wondering lately. I often see comments like ‘great price’, ‘that’s a deal’, ‘that’s a steal’ and nothing is said about those violating the rules. Shouldn’t those comments be prohibited as well?