Please help w/ Elk boots

sivart

WKR
I've been on a 10 year plus quest to find an elk boot. I have the most wimpy feet known to man. There are literally 3 boots that I've found that don't give me heel blisters. Danner 452s (durability sucks, will get one elk season out of them). Crispi Summit, (they leaked pretty much right out of the box), and my current favorite, Lowa Renegade (again not too durable, get one season out of them, and not a lot of traction).

Most of the newer models I've tried I blister, and/or the soles feel super narrow (ex. Zamberlan Sierra, Crispi Thor). I don't have a shop close to just go try on a bunch of models. The ones I've tried I got online and ended up sending back. The last boot I tried was the Hanwag trek. They actually felt good, other than no toe room.

I know I'm reaching, but looking for suggestions. Considering the Crispi Altitude, Colorado, or maybe Brikstal mountain? Or wondering if I get the wide in Hanwag, that will give me more room in the toe box? Living in the sticks, I don't have a place to try these on at a dealer. thanks

nobody

WKR
Get on the phone with all 3 of those companies and tell them what you’re fighting. Tell them which of their boots you like and ask which of their other offerings fit the same.

I have zero experience with the danners or Lowa you mention, but all I wear are Crispi’s. The summits you like are made on the same last (mold) as the guides, nevadas, wyomings, and idahos. So fit wise they’ll fit the same as the summits you’ve worn. The Guides and Nevadas are all leather construction, as are the West Rivers (Scheels Exclusive), much more durable than the Summits, and should fit/be shaped the same.

Call the boot manufacturers you have experience with and like and ask them where to go, that’s the best starting place.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Crispi Summits in 12.5 and they have very few miles on them. The width is fine but the length is the issue a year after buying them... I need a 13 so selling these.

I bought some Hanwag Makra Trek in 12.5 and the length is fine, a bit snug in width but I've been very happy with them with a merino liner and up to medium merino sock. They are my go-to boot this year and did great on my elk hunt with a heavy pack-out.

I also picked up some Salewa Mountain Trainer 2s in a 12.5 and had to exchange for a 13. Width is fine. Not as stiff as the Hanwag. I bought both these on sale from goHunt and had excellent customer support. I suggest goHunt at least to look at various models and see how their staff rate the boots and the sizes that work for them. That info really helped me narrow things down but in the end, you have try boots on for yourself.

If you like your renegades, have you tried the Lowa Tibets? I’ve enjoyed mine for the past 5 years. There are some on camo fire today.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been on a 10 year plus quest to find an elk boot. I have the most wimpy feet known to man. There are literally 3 boots that I've found that don't give me heel blisters....

Try a pair of our Beartooth boots out. Hands down my favorite hunting boot right now. A lot our customers are coming from other brands and the vast majority and really happy with them after giving them a shot. Also 40% off right now.. hard to beat that deal!

wapitibob

WKR
Buy the Renegades from REI and take them back after season. You need to be a member for their 365 day return policy.

Firehawk

WKR
As much as I despise REI, I would never do that to a company
Thank you! I shop at my local REI quite a bit. I am absolutely SHOCKED at what I have seen come back as "boot didn't fit" or it didn't work". People wear them out practically with multiple trips and then return them for a different pair that is new. Some of those customers should be ashamed of themselves in the way that they take advantage of a company.

I have had very good luck with the zamberlan tofane. All leathe r with a goretex lining sandwiched in. Roomy toe box, good flex, but stable stitchdown construction on the sole. 8” tops, but comfortable. Not cheap, but moosejaw has a sale on them I think. Well made.

OP
S

sivart

WKR
I would be careful spending money at REI if you really care about our hunting future. Very liberal company

ole17

FNG
Crispi Nevada or Briksdal MTN, both are wide in the toe box and super comfortable. I'd lean towards Nevada's for durability.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Try a pair of our Beartooth boots out. Hands down my favorite hunting boot right now. A lot our customers are coming from other brands and the vast majority and really happy with them after giving them a shot. Also 40% off right now.. hard to beat that deal!
This was the suggestion I had. I tried 3 top brands and either the boots broke down fast or leaked. I put them through the worst with how and where I hunt. Beartooth is awesome. I also have the granite and they performed amazing. Tons of steep side Hilling and multiple creek crossings on 2 week hunt this year. Nothing but comfy dry feet.

MTHokie

FNG
OP, I feel ya, man. Over the years I have owned 6 different brands of boots. They all gave me blisters on my heels, including the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes that I currently wear. Like you, the Lowa Renegades fit me the best, but not perfect. For me, it is not so much a wide foot, but a very narrow heel. I have just resigned myself to using liner socks and duct-taping my heels before every hunt/hike. It sucks bad, but it's better than blisters.

Cowboy20x

FNG
For guys who like a lighter boot like the Salomon Quest, I’d recommend the Lowa Zephyr, similar boot, but more comfortable IMO. I have a couple years in both the high tops and the non-gortex mids and have been really pleased

Thank you! I shop at my local REI quite a bit. I am absolutely SHOCKED at what I have seen come back as "boot didn't fit" or it didn't work". People wear them out practically with multiple trips and then return them for a different pair that is new. Some of those customers should be ashamed of themselves in the way that they take advantage of a company.
I have one better. A department store on the East Coast now long gone used to have promotions selling Omaha Steaks. I was a vendor supplying fishing tackle and in the return dept I saw all of these empty boxes. They let people return the box for a full refund saying that the steak didn't taste good! This is beyond ballsy!

I wear the Crispi West Rivers with good thick wool socks. Add in the Luekotape P I saw folks recommend on this site, and zero blisters. That tape is AMAZING. I also rub the boots down with Bear Grease. no leaks so far.

RCB

WKR
If your feet blister, you might appreciate a relatively flexible boot. Seems to me that would be more likely to bend with your foot than rub against it. That’s certainly what I prefer. I don’t wear anything more sturdy than a crispi lapponia and I’ve been quite happy.