Point On

Exactly that's what I try to describe to people about aiming. I know I reference it on every shot. How else can I release the string and know that very instant...BAD SHOT!! Or nailed it!! It's that reference.

Hutch

Yeah, the closer to your PO is more accurate no matter your aiming method. Its the reason why the super accurate trad guys get that nok right under their eye and use the arrow like a shotgun barrel.

Its the reason why guys playing with a fixed crawl come away with a smile on their face- its accurate!

If you don't think you are referencing the arrow, Its an easy test for the instinctive guys....just anchor a lot lower like under your chin and try to shoot instinctive. What my buddy tells me is that when doing that, he finds himself looking for the arrow. That just tells you that he was unconsciously referencing the arrow in his instinctive aiming process.

I've seen the other tests where instinctive guys shoot in the pitch black where they cannot reference the arrow and their accuracy suffers.....so its not exactly like the analogy many use that its like throwing a baseball.
—————————————————————————————————
Gapstinctive should be a real word to describe how most instinctive shooter shoot. The arrow is there but not focused on. It’s a learned sight picture with a learned arrow trajectory. I’m not thinking about the yardage and what my gap is. I’m thinking what the sight picture should look like for the distance I am shooting at while my primary focus is on a spot.

Page, got it.
Thx for the photo. Do you get perfect bareshaft Arrow flight in both locations?

Thats not going to work for me for 2 reasons: no second tied in nok and I dont like my tab over a bump out in the serving.

-

Tbh I do not bareshaft tune with my recurve. My release isn't perfect enough for me to trust it. I broadhead tune with my field points. I really only shoot out to 25 right now, so it doesn't have a lot of room to get weird.

Last year I started working on using a “Point On” with my hunting bows. Being a instinctive split finger shooter for over 30 years I didn’t want to change into a “Gap Shooter” even though I can see some benefits in it.

I like the idea to be able to accurately make a longer follow up shot if needed by using the point of the arrow. In my case I use the top edge of the insert, and if my form is good it’s pretty accurate and also a good way to dial in your tune.

In the picture is a typical group for my “Point On” at 40 yards with my longbow. I think it can be useful in a hunting situation and certainly a good way to check your tune.
Good job! Nice shooting

Reactions: GLB
My 40 yard point on cold shots today. The 2 out of the group I collapsed at the shot.
Even though the collapse was very slight, look at how much it was off at that distance.

Attachments

• 5F7C4849-2008-4633-BCE3-B36FEF658562.jpeg
    5F7C4849-2008-4633-BCE3-B36FEF658562.jpeg
    635.3 KB · Views: 37
Good shootin GLB.
nothing to worry about. My buddy used to tell me to shoot those Caribou in the gut bagAnd they go down quick as they regurgitate their food and choke on it.

I have never tested it in real life but he swears it’s true.

-

Nice shooing guys! I love to shoot with other trad guys, and am always trying to advocate for it. Everyone I talk to just getting started I push to get to know their point on. I tell them to figure that out and use it and then roll that into instictive shooting. Their groups shrink up pretty quick.
I haven’t built an arrow to a specific point on, generally go for a certain weight, and what ever the length ends up, for tune that is what it is. Been around 30-35 lately. Pretty sure I’m going to hunt with my warf next year… damn it shoots well.

Interesting thread. I'll have to do some expirimenting tonight with my point on. I hope it can improve my distance shooting. After 25 yards i'm no good shooting by instinct.

I switched to a fixed crawl with a PO at 30. I instinctive shoot anything closer than 20 or so, then I can shoot the belly at 20, the spine at 40 on an elk sized animal.
As a new trad shooter it really helped me. I was shooting fairly decent with my compound friends in the 20-40 range on the 3d range the other day.

Back