Portable Generators--What Brand?

DAD

FNG
I am in the market for a portable generator.

Would really like it to be dual fuel (propane and gas).

It needs to be big enough to keep the fridge and freezer going.

Is there a brand you would recommend?

I can't speak on dual fuel, but 100% can recommend the Honda gas generators. I bring a 2000 watt with me for the camper and it always starts, burns fuel efficiently and is really quiet.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
7b0071a73c70feebd5fbca431ff227b2.jpg

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
Honda, I have a ancient 7000w Honda duel, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

All the duel fuel ones I've been around are load as f***. Are you ok with that?
you stated fridge & freezer which are 120V loads .... do you ever want the capability to hook up any 240V loads ?

OP
DAD

DAD

FNG
240 would be nice, but I don't want to put a massive dent in my wallet over it. We generally aren't without power for too long.

I just want something that can keep our perishable items safe so I don't have to dump everything we have stored in our fridge and freezers.

I own a Honda and a HF Predator both inverters both are very quiet, efficient and powerful. 3000 plus watts. I know Chinese but couldn't pass up the price. I have been impressed with its quality, reliablity and power. I just noticed HF just came out with a dual fuel. I may consider it in the future. Which ever you chose just consider you loose some power when using propane. Also I think an inverter generator is the way to go especially for loads such as refrigerators and freezers. Their pure sine waves produce cleaner electricity. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

hiker270

WKR
Tractor Supply has a decent selection of Dual Fuel generators. I bought a 9500 watt Champion dual fuel a couple years ago and have been pleased with its performance. Have only used it with propane. Both the Champions and Westinghouse dual fuels have good ratings.

Our group of summer campers went with the Westinghouse Igen 4500 dual fuels for our campers. They are big enough to run the air conditioners and microwave in an RV at the same time. They are not as quiet as my Honda, but way less noisy than the other generators like the predators and such. Worth a look.

packer58

WKR
Anything Honda in the small engine / generator category is very hard to beat, I believe Honda makes a 2200 and a 3000 model ( I have the EU 2000 ) and either one should work for keeping fridge and freezers running. Your biggest power draw is during start up on most all appliances. Others have said, they run quiet, easy on the gas, start with one or two pulls and pretty bomb proof.

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Honda 6500w Generator that works great. Was a little pricy at about $3,000 but a very logical investment for me. I wired a 30 amp 240v receptacle to the outside of my house which back feeds my panel when the power goes out. It's more than enough to keep the fridge and freezers maintained while also enjoying some essentials. Can't run the whole house but can be strategic with what circuits are on and off. It stores real nice in the shed and can wheel it out whenever I need it.

Reactions: ODB

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said it’s hard to beat the Hondas. They’re a little pricey but quite and reliable. I don’t think they make a dual fuel model though.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple of the Honda 2200's that are converted to propane. Hondas are the generator to beat in my opinion, but they are expensive.

You may find what you are looking for here: Genconnex
They also have tri-fuel versions now.

I am not affiliated with them just have had good experiences after purchasing and using a few of their modified generators.

I have a 8000 watt surge gas only john Deere genny I have owned for almost 15 years. It has a 14hp EX40 Subaru motor . New I think it was near 2K. Powered through many Fl hurricanes, etc . It still operates like new . Things been a beast . Subaru no longer a player in the genny game. If I was looking for one like the OP it would be Honda or Yamaha in that order . Just like Honda and there rare found only in Canada Yamaha probably make the best snowblowers , but that's another thread .

grfox92

WKR
Honda is the easy answer. But I bought a champion generator inverter 6250w in 2020. Have used it for a few hundred hours for our food truck, sometimes running for 8+ hours straight. It starts on the first pull every time, even after sitting in storage all winter long.

I've been very impressed and it's a 1/4 of the price of a comparable Honda.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

If your gonna hook it to your house know this:

if you make a mistake in sequencing during a power outage (Like if you forget to turn off your main breaker) it’s pretty easy to connect your generator to your panel at the same time as the live power company connection. Or let’s just say it’s possible. If you do there’s a very high chance of destroying your generator and damaging some power co equipment like the transformer. Also can start a fire. It’s also possible that it might just blow some breakers no harm no foul.

The only way to absolutely prevent this possibility is to hook your generator to a transfer switch which makes it physically impossible to connect both generator and power company simultaneously.