Portable Generators--What Brand?

*zap*

WKR
A Honda invertor purchase for long term use is a no brainer...the construction/materials use is night and day compared to the china built stuff. Now if you need a backup I would say a 'lesser' gennie would be ok. Or use the lesser and have a Honda for backup.....just run the Honda a bit every few weeks or store it correctly.

Cummins onan. Good selection of them. They have dual fuel options and don’t let you down. I’m hoping to get one soon very good machines

Sled

WKR
I've used Honda and the harbor freight predator. Both are great and work for a long time. For the cash I still own the predator and have sold my Honda for profit.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2200 and a 2000 Honda. Both have been awesome. I also have a 15kw champion that has been great as well although I do wish it had a eco mode.

I had a bigger generac for awhile and it was a POS from day one.

*zap*

WKR
One thing that is good to do is:
When changing oil try to start up after you drain the oil out. Make sure that the oil alert is working.

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
Always have to state that Honda and Yamaha are tough to beat. That said, we have a 7500w Westinghouse ($854 shipped purchased 1/2016) wired into the dedicated whole-house panel and it's been flawless for the last 7-8 years.
We also have a Westinghouse 2400 invertor ($554 shipped purchased 12/2015) for the small stuff.
If we know there will be a power outage coming we use the small one.

Flawless performance and all-in for $1400 for both, tough to beat. Don't overthink it. There really are great budget alternatives!

Last edited: