Prarie dogs out west? Farmers that will let you hunt?

Been wanting to take my stepson PD shooting. We live in NC and it will be a long drive and probably pretty pricey. Anyone know of any farmers out west in Prarie dog states that will let you hunt?
Thanks,

Kevin

wytx

WKR
Plenty on public ground, really no need for private but yes some will allow PD shooting if no cattle in the pastures.

OP
K
Where specifically would i find high concentration of prairie dogs on which specific public lands?

TaperPin

WKR
Also, watch out for endangered black footed ferret areas on Wyoming public land that are closed to shooting prairie dogs.

I‘m from an area with tons of prairie dogs, but it’s harder all the time to find decent numbers because there are more and better shooters.

Some areas on public land might be easy for a guy to find, but honestly I don’t know where that would be - I’ve hunted antelope all over the western part of the state and never felt like there were enough dogs to make a special trip for. I’ve also driven a number of days in what was supposed to be full of their beady little eyes, only to see holes without dogs - somebody else had been through there a number of times before me and the easy to access holes haven’t been moved back into by other dogs.

For those reasons I don’t think booking a prairie dog hunt on private land is a bad idea - in one day you’ll shoot more than you might looking on your own for a month. If you do, try to bring a couple of smaller accurate rifles like 223 and one of those fans that blows down the bore to cool it off - and a 22 mag or 17 Hornady for close shots. On a good day you could easily have a couple hundred shots, and if the weather is bad maybe 10. Personally, per day per person I pack 300 rounds of centerfire and at least that many rimfire - you probably won’t use that many, but if you hit a great area at the right time you’ll be glad you did. It’s a good idea to ask the outfitter what a reasonable expectation for numbers is - they won’t care if you run out of ammo, so think of their recommendation as a minimum.

Also, some areas have tons of ground squirrels (picket pins) and the shooting can be even faster and furrier - they are half the size and often rimfire range. Seems like ranches around Jackson have tons of these.

A friend who goes regularly explained it like this: You pay a guide (usually native american) who has access to private land and/or reservation land. You are paying for the access. He may be a good guide and actually put you on PDs, but most likely he's just gonna tell you where to go.

FNG
Years and years and years ago....

....I found myself driving through an Indian reservation. North middleish south Dakota, I'll have to look for the name, but I *think* the tribe was like Sioux Cheyenne something something maybe?

Anyway, I popped into the police station-they sent me on my way to the DNR people (all tribal, I don't recall the 'names'). Paid Indian fees, out of state fees and then the same fees for NR SD.

They provided me a list of all ranchers, land size, phone # and what/if any fee would be collected from the rancher, that I could go shooting (for PD) on.

Only thing was (I'll keep it relevant to hunting prairie dog, the rest you'll have to experience yourself) DO NOT SHOOT THE OWLS.

I vividly recall being told that numerous times from all the LEO Indians exceptionally sternly. Not sure what the deal was with the owls.

So, anyway, head that way *planless with the boy*, , like the old days, atlas-flip phone-broad itinerary, it was loads of fun and one hell of an experience and adventure I'll never forget.

wytx

WKR
Spouse worked on the BFF program, for 9 years.
He'll not likely run into any of them during the day in PD towns and many were released in areas that have little public access or are on landlocked public. Not all but many.

Large swaths of BLM and state lands might have PDs , just have to come out and look.
Wyoming has vast swaths of BLM lands, head out and you'll find them.

Do not handle them, PDs, they can and do carry the plague, we had to take numerous steps while he was trapping PDs and ground squirrels for the BFF if they had a positive test.

FNG
See.........THATS what i would love to do......

That looks like it, and some pics allude to it being correct based off memory.

I recall buying (voluntold) a hat on the way out their door that was, to me, poor branding, mustve been the 'crstgfp' (the acronym, not the full thing) that was on the orange winter stocking cap...

It was June as well if I recall, summer for sure...

It looks changed, but I recall a few days on a ranch to the west and a few days on one to the northeast or maybe just north. They had maps and numbers in the office, but looks like they offer them on the site now. Back then, the directions from the ranchers were akin to:

Head west 1.1 miles and take the 2nd left at the oak branch gate, not the cattle gate. Head ⅝ mile and hook a roger past the better looking trailer, not before (and there's only like 10 trailers in the middle of BFE, all the same condition, all with little offshoots of 2 track roads jetting out). Travel for 10 Minutes on that road.....then, when you finally meet the rancher:

"See that hill? There's one more behind it once you get to that one, our land is from the 3rd hill back there to the road. Don't shoot my cattle. Got $50? Cool, have fun, bye. Oh, ps, there's not much for phone coverage, be safe."

IF YOU GO, watch out for the rain on that shake dirt they have.....and be friendly to the tribal officers and they'll have your back...mind your Ps and Qs....my 2cents.