Prioritizing gear purchases

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i am planning a backpack elk hunt in CO 2019, first rifle. i will be anywhere between 9k and 11k elevation. sharing camp with at least 1 other guy. i essentially have nothing gear-wise other than odds and ends i use for whitetail currently. what are the things i MUST pony up and buy the best and what are the things i can "make work" (like solid colored clothing vs camo)? what are some things we can carry only 1 of and share?

i have decent boots (Cabelas Meindl), strong back, and a hard determined mind. where would y'all start?
i am eyeing the Kifaru Reckoning as probably one of my "buy once cry once" purchases...

ChrisAU

WKR
I started in the same place as you a few months ago. I bought a couple of cheaper packs and realized just training that they wouldn't work out, and bought a Reckoning.

Bow or rifle? Rifle, I wouldn't worry about camo patterns, but you do want light.

Get a good insulated sleeping pad. Get a sleeping bag you are at least semi comfortable in that doesn't weigh 10 lbs.

Get merino socks and base layers. I can't imagine how sick I'd have been after spending a week in the mountains smelling myself on cotton/polyester clothing.

Get a good puffy layer for cold glassing sits.

Get some good/decent binos if you don't have a pair.

Share cooking stuff and a tent.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i've been trying to put a puffy into the budget but not really making it a priority. i understand it is essential to stay warm while glassing or you won't sit behind the glass long but do yall think i could make due with multiple insulating layers which i already own and my rain gear? and build a fire? thank yall

- - - Updated - - -

I started in the same place as you a few months ago. I bought a couple of cheaper packs and realized just training that they wouldn't work out, and bought a Reckoning.

Bow or rifle? Rifle, I wouldn't worry about camo patterns, but you do want light. RIFLE

Get a good insulated sleeping pad. Get a sleeping bag you are at least semi comfortable in that doesn't weigh 10 lbs. suggestions? how is kelty?

Get merino socks and base layers. I can't imagine how sick I'd have been after spending a week in the mountains smelling myself on cotton/polyester clothing. merino bases and socks are on my list. what's the consensus on Black Ovis Brand bases?

Get a good puffy layer for cold glassing sits. contemplating

Get some good/decent binos if you don't have a pair. check!

Share cooking stuff and a tent. noted

Last edited:

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think spending 100$ on a puffy would be money well spent. Yes you could get by without it with other insulation lzAyers but that sounds miserable to me.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I think spending 100$ on a puffy would be money well spent. Yes you could get by without it with other insulation lzAyers but that sounds miserable to me.

knowing that not all puffy jackets are created equal, is this something i can buy cheaper then upgrade later or buy once cry once? thoughts on the Kifaru jacket?

This is kinda hard without a budget. You will NEED a good pack and boots/insoles. Definitely wont regret spending $100 or so on a puffy. Pry want to drop some coin on decent glass too. I would't bank on a a fire to stay warm during glassing sessions.

A good pack ( your thought on the Reckoning is a good one!) merino base layers, a puffy and a wind breaking layer is a must. You said rifle so solids would be totally fine and they don't need to be silent. You'll want to have your sleep system dialed in as well. A good lightweight pad can be had for under $100 if you shop around, a lightweight bag or quilt will be a little more. Will you be sharing a shelter or each carrying your own?

knowing that not all puffy jackets are created equal, is this something i can buy cheaper then upgrade later or buy once cry once? thoughts on the Kifaru jacket?

Costco puffy isn't a terrible idea. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is a shelter. That would be my priority after boots and pack. A good sleep system is a must. You can skimp on some clothing with it being rifle. Find some good deals on a merino base layers. It doesn't have to be camo. Pants, you can get the EB guide pants frequently for $50. Those should work with a merino layer underneath. I'm sure you have a decent light weight fleece laying around for a mid layer. Get a costco puffy or a puffy. Then your rain gear and you should be just fine as far as clothing. I'm interested in what type of rain gear you have because of weight purposes. I like to bring a pair of light weight and heavy weight gloves and the same for beanies.

Get all of this stuff and then plan a scouting weekend where you can go in the mountains and test all of your gear. It's not fun being a half hour late to the spot you want to be because you don't know how to use your gear.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
If budget is a concern, I bought a puffy from Costco(also check goodwill). When the wind was howling I would put a jetstream jacket over it. I wore that down to single digits with a base layer, traverse hoody, puffy and jetstream.

That being said I got the kifaru lost park this year, way more durable than the costco one. I didnt even touch my jetstream this year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
You can find Black Ovis merino base layers on Camofire for really cheap. I've been happy with the quality so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can find Black Ovis merino base layers on Camofire for really cheap. I've been happy with the quality so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been rockin my Black Ovis Merino all year. It's just as good as the First Lite and Sitka merino i've had.

bsnedeker

WKR
I love Kifaru and would certainly NEVER try to talk anyone out of buying one, but in my opinion for your first elk hunt on a limited budget I believe you can get more bang for your buck by spending in other areas. A high-end backpack pays for itself when you are packing heavy loads...50-60 lbs and up. This is something you really only have to worry about if you are successful and, as a first time elk hunter the reality is that you will probably not have to worry about that. If you DO get an animal down you said it yourself: You have a strong back and a strong will so you'll be able to get that sucker off the mountain. I cut up an elk with a buddy of mine this year, me with my Kifaru, him with his Badlands daypack with an internal frame. I loaded both hind quarters into my Kifaru, but he loaded both front shoulders in his badlands AND he dragged the bag of trim behind him through the snow and we got that sucker out in one load.

What style of hunting will you be doing? Are you going to be going deep and putting up a tent? If so, that is where I would spend some money: Shelter and perhaps a stove.

As far as clothing you can absolutely make whitetail layers work for you, they will generally just be a bit heavier and bulkier than mountain hunting gear. Spending money here will have the greatest impact on your comfort throughout the day because you will be lightening the load that you have to carry with you all day every day.

Don't underestimate the costs associated with all of the little crap you need with you on a successful hunt...that stuff adds up quick: First aid kit, possible's pouch, kill kit, water filter and bladder/container. You'll also want backups of some of these items.

To summarize: Put together the stuff you NEED first, then analyze your remaining budget and see where you can make improvements. Folks on this site absolutely LOVE going over other people's gear lists and telling them how they can improve so keep updating us as you move along and we can help you fine tune your kit.

Good luck!

I like my Kifaru Reckoning setup, but i also have an older Timberline 1 with the internal frame and its just as good for hauling heavy loads. The reckoning setup probably cost me around $600 second hand once i add in the pockets and lid. The T1 bag and frame cost me like $375 second hand. Good bit of change there when you are on a budget and IMO the Quality is no different, just the flexibility of the pack system(a luxury anyway you look at it). There are a few other brands that guys seem to love as well, although i have no experience with them and would personally recommend the Kifaru.

Boots are super important. If your feet get wet your gonna hate life. If you have tested the Meindls in snow before and trust them then id say your ok, but my light weight meindls soaked up water like crazy and leaked. Just be sure to take boots you trust and will treat you right.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
This is kinda hard without a budget. You will NEED a good pack and boots/insoles. Definitely wont regret spending $100 or so on a puffy. Pry want to drop some coin on decent glass too. I would't bank on a a fire to stay warm during glassing sessions.

do you think the boots i mentioned will cut it? looks like i'm moving the puffy up the list then and cutting a stove since my partner will have one.

- - - Updated - - -

A good pack ( your thought on the Reckoning is a good one!) merino base layers, a puffy and a wind breaking layer is a must. You said rifle so solids would be totally fine and they don't need to be silent. You'll want to have your sleep system dialed in as well. A good lightweight pad can be had for under $100 if you shop around, a lightweight bag or quilt will be a little more. Will you be sharing a shelter or each carrying your own?

i've been eyeing some of the Outdoor research voodoo pants in olive or brown. and their rain gear since its considerably cheaper and SEEMS to be of good quality. what's the consensus on Kelty bags and pads? i will be sharing a tent with one other hunter

- - - Updated - - -

Costco puffy isn't a terrible idea. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is a shelter. That would be my priority after boots and pack. A good sleep system is a must. You can skimp on some clothing with it being rifle. Find some good deals on a merino base layers. It doesn't have to be camo. Pants, you can get the EB guide pants frequently for $50. Those should work with a merino layer underneath. I'm sure you have a decent light weight fleece laying around for a mid layer. Get a costco puffy or a puffy. Then your rain gear and you should be just fine as far as clothing. I'm interested in what type of rain gear you have because of weight purposes. I like to bring a pair of light weight and heavy weight gloves and the same for beanies.

Get all of this stuff and then plan a scouting weekend where you can go in the mountains and test all of your gear. It's not fun being a half hour late to the spot you want to be because you don't know how to use your gear.

what are the EB guide pants you speak of? i currently have some pretty cheap rain gear so that is another big purchase i am making as well. looking at these... Men's Foray Jacket - naval blue/dusk | Outdoor Research

good point on the scouting. we are planning a couple trips to some smaller mountains in Arkansas in the spring to give everything a test run.

bsnedeker

WKR
This is my opinion on what’s most important to least (roughly) for backpack hunting. You get what you pay for. Buy the best you can first go around and enjoy upgrading a few items each year until your gear list is fairly set. Backpack / shelter / sleeping bag / pad / optics will all last a long time if you buy quality stuff. Optics is the big tricky purchase, your not going to kill an animal if you can’t find it. Period. But if your miserable and trying to survive / stay warm / give up / not hunt your not going to glass long enough anyway. Elk are easier to find so optics won’t be as important this hunt buy if your going to keep hunting often out west plan on spending a lot on optics, best of luck!

Boots
Backpack
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Shelter
Good base layers
Good rain gear
Good puffy
Optics
All the rest of your gear

Oh and your filter is probably going to freeze that time of year at that elevation, so steri pen or aqua mere, little piece of shirt to keep floaters out with rubber band, fill up your Nalgene, couple drops of aqua mere and your set.

Good grief, I totally forgot about boots!

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I love Kifaru and would certainly NEVER try to talk anyone out of buying one, but in my opinion for your first elk hunt on a limited budget I believe you can get more bang for your buck by spending in other areas. A high-end backpack pays for itself when you are packing heavy loads...50-60 lbs and up. This is something you really only have to worry about if you are successful and, as a first time elk hunter the reality is that you will probably not have to worry about that. If you DO get an animal down you said it yourself: You have a strong back and a strong will so you'll be able to get that sucker off the mountain. I cut up an elk with a buddy of mine this year, me with my Kifaru, him with his Badlands daypack with an internal frame. I loaded both hind quarters into my Kifaru, but he loaded both front shoulders in his badlands AND he dragged the bag of trim behind him through the snow and we got that sucker out in one load.

What style of hunting will you be doing? Are you going to be going deep and putting up a tent? If so, that is where I would spend some money: Shelter and perhaps a stove.

As far as clothing you can absolutely make whitetail layers work for you, they will generally just be a bit heavier and bulkier than mountain hunting gear. Spending money here will have the greatest impact on your comfort throughout the day because you will be lightening the load that you have to carry with you all day every day.

Don't underestimate the costs associated with all of the little crap you need with you on a successful hunt...that stuff adds up quick: First aid kit, possible's pouch, kill kit, water filter and bladder/container. You'll also want backups of some of these items.

To summarize: Put together the stuff you NEED first, then analyze your remaining budget and see where you can make improvements. Folks on this site absolutely LOVE going over other people's gear lists and telling them how they can improve so keep updating us as you move along and we can help you fine tune your kit.

Good luck!

we are planning to pack in deep and stay mobile. now if we get 3 miles in and get on them we may spike out or just make the hike from the truck daily. planning on at least 2 scouting days before the opener.

and i actually have a pretty detailed gear list and budget. maybe ill pull it out and post it up. thanks for the pointers!

- - - Updated - - -

This is my opinion on what’s most important to least (roughly) for backpack hunting. You get what you pay for. Buy the best you can first go around and enjoy upgrading a few items each year until your gear list is fairly set. Backpack / shelter / sleeping bag / pad / optics will all last a long time if you buy quality stuff. Optics is the big tricky purchase, your not going to kill an animal if you can’t find it. Period. But if your miserable and trying to survive / stay warm / give up / not hunt your not going to glass long enough anyway. Elk are easier to find so optics won’t be as important this hunt buy if your going to keep hunting often out west plan on spending a lot on optics, best of luck!

Boots
Backpack
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Shelter
Good base layers
Good rain gear
Good puffy
Optics
All the rest of your gear

Oh and your filter is probably going to freeze that time of year at that elevation, so steri pen or aqua mere, little piece of shirt to keep floaters out with rubber band, fill up your Nalgene, couple drops of aqua mere and your set.

ahhhhh good point on freezing filters. i was planning on going the sawyer filter with 2 or 3 bladders route. if i run steri pen and aqua mere, what should i use to carry the water? nalgene? bladder? how many?

and i have a friend letting me borrow a leupold spotter. scorrrrrrre

bsnedeker

WKR
On filters freezing: If you have a sawyer you can also just be careful with it to keep it from freezing. Keep the filter in your inner jacket pocket during the day, and keep it in your sleeping bag with you at night and you'll be all good.

do you think the boots i mentioned will cut it? looks like i'm moving the puffy up the list then and cutting a stove since my partner will have one.

- - - Updated - - -

i've been eyeing some of the Outdoor research voodoo pants in olive or brown. and their rain gear since its considerably cheaper and SEEMS to be of good quality. what's the consensus on Kelty bags and pads? i will be sharing a tent with one other hunter

- - - Updated - - -

what are the EB guide pants you speak of? i currently have some pretty cheap rain gear so that is another big purchase i am making as well. looking at these... Men's Foray Jacket - naval blue/dusk | Outdoor Research

good point on the scouting. we are planning a couple trips to some smaller mountains in Arkansas in the spring to give everything a test run.

I have the Foray jacket and used it in Wyoming this year as a windbreaker (never had rain). I really like it and it's a well made jacket.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I would evaluate what kind of hunting you want to do before getting expensive binos. I personally would not pack a spotter in on a back pack hunt. With that being said I hunt OTC and anything legal I am going after. I can spot an elk further away then I am able to go after it with $100 binoculars and usually tell if there is a bull or not. Now if you want to size something up that is a different story but if you are worried about that on a first hunt you might want to check your expectations. I also don't sit and glass much so take it for what its worth.

A light to mid weight puffy is probably one of the pieces I always have. I would get something solid because once you try one you will probably use it for everything else in life as well. I wear mine almost everyday from September to May living in Colorado and it is with me for pretty much any mountain activity during the summer.

First season can be pretty hit or miss. Weather might be 60 during the day or it could be in the 20's. Personally I wouldn't worry about water freezing too much during first season.

Me personally I would spend on a sleeping bag/sleep system. Comfortable sleep to me will determine how much I want to put into the hunt. Sharing a tent will save both money and weight.

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
2019 First Rifle Elk Colorado
Gear List

Tag- $650
Boots- Cabelas Meindl uninsulated hunting/hiking boot. (own) -I will test these in the coming months to be sure i trust them.
Pack- Kifaru Reckoning or EXO 3500 or Mystery Ranch Metcalf- $500-$700
Pack Fly/Pack Liner/Dry Bag/Contractor Bag- $50 NEED ADVICE HERE
Game Bags- TAG BOMB bags (considering)- $70
Battery Charger for phone and possibly headlamp (considering)- $20 ADVICE?
Stove- Jetboil, MSR- $100- might share with partner since we will be together
Stove Fuel- butane canister- $20
Spork- long handle
Hydration opt 1- gravity filter and 2-3 bladders - $80 -Is this bad idea given time of year and elevation?
Hydration opt 2- nalgene and steripen and aqua mere (bladder?)- $70
Spotter- borrowing Leupold spot scope (free)
Binos- Leupold 10X50 (own)
Ranger- Leupold 100 range finder (own)
Bino Harness- Alaskan Guide Kodiac Cub (own)
Lense care- wipes and cleaning pen (own)
Pillow- ? suggestions?
Sleep bag- Kelty Tuck 0 Degree (considering)- $110
Sleep Pad- Kelty Galactic (considering)- $70
Shelter- sharing buddy’s Seek stove tent or regular 2 man tent with partner depending on weather
Hammock- possible depending on weather (own) -Does anyone use a hammock in the mountains? i sleep like a baby in a hammock! can it work?
Trek poles- Kelty Scree (considering)- $70
Dry bag- Outdoor research 55L bag or smaller sizes (considering)- $40
Gun- Rem 7mmRM, 160 gr Accubond, 20 rounds (own) -Is this too much ammo?
Blaze- vest, hat and beanie (own)
Contractor bags- (own)
Blades- pocket knife (own), 2 custom skinning knives (own), lightweight stone (own)
Saw- breaking down elk carcass?
550 chord- 50 foot reflective chord (own)
Seasoning- cooking fresh tenderloins
Fire- Bic lighter, flint and steel, matches, tender
Nav- map, compass, back up compass, watch, OnX Maps
Wind Checker
Headlamp- Black diamond Storm- $50, bringing a back up lamp of one I already own
Flashlight- surefire scout (own)
Batteries- spare AAAs for lamp
Chap stick
Deodorant
Coolers
- own
Carabiners- 3 for various things (own)
Zip ties- own
Hand warmers- depending on forecast, only if very cold

First Aid Bag- tourniquette, pressure bandage, compressed guaze, super glue, Various Band Aids, Duct Tape, Electrical Tape, Luco Tape, Alcohol wipes, pain med, altitude meds, stomach meds, benedryl, Sleep meds (own all this)

Clothing
Base layer- considering black ovis underwear ($28), pants ($65), quarter zip ($67) and zip hoodie ($79)
Pants- considering Outdoor Research Voodoo pants ($100)
Mid Layer Tops- various fleece and wool tops (own)
Vest- Cabelas Wooltimate Guide vest (own)
Rain Jacket- consideringOutdoor Research Foray Jacket ($215)
Rain Pants- considering Outdoor Research Foray Pants ($175)
Puffy- considering Outdoor Research Transcendent Jacket ($200)
Boot Gaiters- suggestions?
Neck Gaiter- own
Beanie/Hat- own
Gloves- First Lite merino glove liners (own), need mittens suggestions?
Socks- currently own many Smartwool medium weight merino socks and use daily. suggestions?

i am looking at alot of Kelty and Outdoor research because i get a slight discount there. i am very open to suggestions with exception of big items that i already own obviously. trying to as budget minded as possible but i also understand some things cannot be skimped on...thank yall!

Last edited: