Pro Shop Expectations

S.Clancy

WKR
My experience:

When I first started, I used pro shops for everything. The shop I used was good and helped me along. As I became more knowledgeable, and moved away from that shop, I realized that I could prob do most stuff on my own and save my self the time and money of a pro shop. The last straw was not getting a fixed price for a string replacement from a shop where I live now, they itemized every little thing. I asked the person why they do it that way, they basically said that's the way we do it and I could buy a press and do it myself if I don't like it. So that's what I did. Never have to hit a pro shop again.

CB4

WKR
CUSTOMER SERVICE

I bought everything new this year (bow, rest, sight, arrows, quiver) and the only thing I bought from the local shop was the bow because they don't carry any high end accessories. I was ready to spend $2k there but they dont offer what I want, not their fault I get it is hard to keep stuff in stock that doesn't sell. Not too many people in Iowa are buying Spot Hogg sights, Hamskea rests. Tightspot quivers and Iron Will components for arrows only to shoot whitetails. Obviously I had to get all the accessories elsewhere.

However with a new bow purchase at this shop they offer a complete bow set up, from mounting everything to tuning the bow. Everything most shops offer. Once I got all the accessories, bought the bow and went to have it set up they wanted to charge me a bow set up fee, charge me for installing a D loop and more. Eventually I paid for some of it and out the door I went.

Fast forward two weeks I have the string settled and the peep isn't aligning so I got back in and ask for them to put a twist in the string. The bow tech said it was too complicated and he wasn't able to do it. (He has worked there for 10+ year). I was astonished that he said adding a twist to a string was too hard for him. So I asked if I could use their press and do it myself, to which he said no he would do it. 2 minutes latter the string had a twist in it and we were all set. He was being lazy. Not another customers in the shop, he just didn't want to do anything.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Man, sounds like I'm pretty spoiled with my shop....always happy to help, knowledgeable and skilled techs, usually a pretty good selection middle to high end kit, never any shenanigans. I've thought about buying a press but it's more just to play with and develop the skillset myself, odds are probably won't. Pacific Crest Archery Salem, OR.

I think most hunters don't know what they don't know, so they trust the shop is doing all they can and assume it is done correctly. The more I've broadened my understanding (while still much to learn) I've realized most shops are in the business of making money, not helping every archer be the best they can be. I won't fault them for that, but as a finicky person I'd rather do most of the work myself and do it right. Sadly, then I'm forced to blame myself when it's messed up. Ha!

I have a certain appreciation for good shops. Back in the day growing up, before the internet and YouTube, I learned everything I knew about archery from the old guy who owned the shop and friends I made hanging out in there. Luckily, these dudes had been in it a while and were way ahead of the curve. They were doing stuff back then that most would consider standard now. They taught me a lot, and would help me work on my stuff, using the equipment in the shop. I would never have thought about spending money anywhere else.

These days, shop owners that run things like a business and treat you like a number are not doing anything to help themselves. There are too many box stores and other places to go if you want to buy a bow or equipment. An internet search will give you all the information you need to do most anything you want to do.

I guess that’s a long winded way of saying that at this point, I care less about what you know about archery and more about what I think of you personally.

My response is going to be more philosophical than anything:

I expect my shop (and this goes for anyone I'm paying for a service) to take pride in their work. If you do that, I shouldn't have any issues at all with my bow.

geoff995

WKR
I have zero expectations. I built/purchased all the gear needed a few years ago to do my own bow work. Anyone serious about archery should do the same in my opinion.

Rob5589

WKR
I have zero expectations. I built/purchased all the gear needed a few years ago to do my own bow work. Anyone serious about archery should do the same in my opinion.
Agree 100%.

If I owned a shop I would encourage guys to do the same. Maybe put on some classes on the basics. Either sell a start up kit like LCA does or similar. I can't imagine shops make much for the time spent on set up and tuning. No to mention even if the set up is correct in shop it does not mean it will accommodate the shooter. About all I would do for the customer is set draw length, draw weight, set rest to center shot, d-loop. After that it's all on them.

MattB

WKR
To be fair, a bow shop is a small business battling Cabelas and Bass Pro, among others, for business. Knowing that, if you buy your bow and accessories there, and plan ahead, the one I frequent will make sure your work gets done when you need it. My bow is totally dialed in no later than June 1. If I buy a new bow, I order it by early February. I'm a lefty so I can't expect to find things on the rack.

That being said, there are a number of good bow shops in the Denver metro area including an excellent traditional bow shop.
Not trying to be argumentative, but one of the biggest boosts ATA shop a friend used to work at (Phoenix, AZ area) was to have Cabelas move in nearby. Customers bought a lot of gear at Cabelas, but my friend's shop made bank on set-up/tuning and accessory sales.

It can go both ways, similar to restaurants in COVID. Many went under but some dis better business than they ever had before. All about positioning.

Not trying to be argumentative, but one of the biggest boosts ATA shop a friend used to work at (Phoenix, AZ area) was to have Cabelas move in nearby. Customers bought a lot of gear at Cabelas, but my friend's shop made bank on set-up/tuning and accessory sales.

It can go both ways, similar to restaurants in COVID. Many went under but some dis better business than they ever had before. All about positioning.

Only restaurants that did better had take out. It damn near put sit down service restaurants out of business.

So depends on the experience you are seeking. Want quick out the door or somewhere that you spend some time. Or can just turn a proshop into a grocery store. Not like you expect them to cook that ribeye for you or nothing.

I guess we can just open up a restaurant where we charge to cook the food you bring.

@@

Does anyone know of a bow company that will sell direct to consumer?

Maybe that's the next step. These companies will start to retail direct to consumer. Sell parts and everything, I wonder if you would need to send the bow back for warranty?

I think APA might be this way, but I'm not certain.

Does anyone know of a bow company that will sell direct to consumer?

Maybe that's the next step. These companies will start to retail direct to consumer. Sell parts and everything, I wonder if you would need to send the bow back for warranty?

I think APA might be this way, but I'm not certain.
I know APA will sell direct to consumer if there's not a dealer within so many miles (couple hundred maybe?). I'd like to see more manufacturers start offering direct sales.

MattB

WKR
Only restaurants that did better had take out. It damn near put sit down service restaurants out of business.

So depends on the experience you are seeking. Want quick out the door or somewhere that you spend some time. Or can just turn a proshop into a grocery store. Not like you expect them to cook that ribeye for you or nothing.

I guess we can just open up a restaurant where we charge to cook the food you bring.

@@
Or did delivery, or partnered with a delivery service, or made pre-packaged meals to make at home, or...

That is what I am talking about. Restauranteurs who thought about their business as a doomed sit down restaurant suffered. Some who were creative and understood the landscape flourished. Most restaurants can sell more take out or delivery meals than they can serve in the restaurant, and with lower expenses.

Or did delivery, or partnered with a delivery service, or made pre-packaged meals to make at home, or...

That is what I am talking about. Restauranteurs who thought about their business as a doomed sit down restaurant suffered. Some who were creative and understood the landscape flourished. Most restaurants can sell more take out or delivery meals than they can serve in the restaurant, and with lower expenses.

You saying that from experience?

I mean you have a restaurant that seats 400 people, you think you making that up with takeout? I can tell you it ain't happening. Then the ordering services charging 30% over your meal, that really helps the bottom line.

Definitely small dives that could transition were able to make the swing and do well with takeout, but when you have a business model going that works well and it's suddenly shutdown, it doesn't work to well to pivot. Some restaurants can turn food out more efficiently with just doing takeout, but not all.

Kinda painting with a large brush. I'm all about innovation, businesses need to evolve or die off. But fact is a lot of people want the go out and eat experience, a large restaurant setup for that can't just switch over to doing takeout. Just the quantity of food containers were hard to get.

I'm sure contractors can figure the same stuff out. They can't build 3500 square foot houses now because of materials, so they can just start doing play grounds in backyards or something.
That's a tongue in cheek comment, meant for sarcasm.

Solid bow shops are few and far between, in my limited experience. I worked at a good one in Idaho, and learned enough there that now I do all my own bow work and nobody touches my bow except me. Nothing against shops, but nobody is going to put the time and effort into tuning my bow that I am. That and shops need to make a profit, so realistically, they can't.

Hoot

WKR
all that is left is for bow manufacturers to start selling direct to consumer for me to never set foot in a pro shop again.

nothing against them, the model just doesn’t work for them to make money and put out a top notch product/service.

gelton

WKR

I own and operate a small organic farm, I have a day job that pays the bills but I am keenly aware of the market dynamics of restaurants because most farms like me cater to them. I had a few, and they are all out of business.

When covid hit I immediately shifted from focusing on restaurants and wholesale and went customer direct with contactless delivery which flourished. Another thing that has had a big boom is food delivery services in general, but delivery service for fresh produce.

Yes, restaurants that were able to make it through this did take advantage of delivery services, but to suggest that they flourished is a bad take. They, like bars, even in the Republic of Texas who had some of the most lax "laws" (really edicts but who is counting) in the nation, took it where the sun don't shine, bigly.

It's just not accurate to suggest that restaurants that pivoted benefited from covid...they got screwed, all of em'.